Support for preference root extensions.<extension-id>

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

Support for preference root extensions.<extension-id>

Postby ake79 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:26 am

OPIE seems to assume that preference root is "extensions.<chrome-name>". I would like ask that it would support preference root "extensions.<extension-id>" also. Mainly because that's what my Save File to uses. ;)

I understand that my extension is probably the only one using that format but still. (That was the format that FUEL used. At least, the brief moment that mozilla was pushing FUEL.)

I'm aware that you can configure preference root manually if OPIE doesn't find one, but it would be nice to have my extension to work with OPIE without extra configuration step.

And enhancement request related to that custom preference root setting: When I set the preference root for Save File to (extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org), I was expecting that the preference count would be updated. As in, a confirmation that I wrote the preference root correctly. I was left wondering if it worked or not, as there was no real feedback that it did. It would seem that the preference count totally ignores custom preference root and stays "(Unkown)" even if the extension info table is reloaded.
ake79

Re: Support for preference root extensions.<extension-id>

Postby ake79 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 am

Just noticed that support for custom pref roots is a bit counterintuitive.

Following steps assume that Save File to is installed. Tested on OPIE 3.0.3.

1. Open OPIE: Tools > OPIE
2. Add Save File to pref root: Configure > Get extension info > Save File to > Preference root: "extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org"
3. List exportable extensions: Export > Get list
4. Reload extension configuration : Configure > Get extension info
5. List exportable extensions: Export > Get list

At step 3 Save File to is not included in the list. At step 5, it is.

1. Open OPIE: Tools > OPIE
2. Add Save File to pref root: Configure > Get extension info > Save File to > Preference root: "extensions.savefileto@mozdev.org"
3. Close OPIE
4. Oen OPIE again
5. List exportable extensions: Export > Get list
6. Load extension configuration : Configure > Get extension info
7. List exportable extensions: Export > Get list

At step 5. Save File to is not included in the list. At step 7, it is.

Basically, user has to reload extension configuration before export's "Get list" finds extensions with custom pref root. I found this a bit confusing. I would have assumed that when I have entered the pref root, "Get list" would simply work. Requiring "Get extension info" step is non-obvious imho.

Also, why is there "Get list" button at all. Why not just populate the list when dialog is opened and re-refresh it automatically if user updates settings in configure pane. No need for manual "Get list" button.
ake79

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks for the input. I am currently working on modifications to my Paste Email Plus extension, so I don't have a lot of time right now to devote to OPIE. I am, however, going to be releasing OPIE v4.0 soon and I will try to incorporate your suggestions.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ake79 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks for adding that extId preference root support in OPIE 4. Saves me the trouble implementing pref import/export feature myself. Now I can just direct people to use OPIE.
ake79

Return to OPIE