IMPORTANT - Read this before you register

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

IMPORTANT - Read this before you register

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Update 02/25/20

Due to the extreme increase of the number of spambot registration attempts, I am temporarily disabling new user registrations. If you would like to register on this forum, please send an email to register@customsoftwareconsult.com with your email address and desired username. I will manually register you and send you a temporary password. Any new user must post (or at least log into) the forum at least once within 48 hours after the registration has been activated. Users that do not post or login will have their account removed, banned, and reported as spammers. Registration attempts with usernames that consist of only numbers will be summarily deleted and reported as spam.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

*** USING GMAIL ADDRESSES WHEN REGISTERING ***

If you are using a gmail address when registering and get the message:

Gmail addresses may not contain any periods to the left of the '@' symbol. Please re-type the email address without any periods. i.e., 'myname@gmail.com' is OK, 'my.name@gmail.com' is not.

Try again without the periods in the address.

Why?

Gmail ignores periods in their email addresses, but phpBB does not. This is a trick that spammers employ to re-use a valid gmail address over and over again.

For instance, sending an email to the address "IamAspammer@gmail.com" will get to the recipient even if you were to use "i.am.a.spammer@gmail.com". The spammers know this. So if "i.am.a.spammer@gmail.com" gets blacklisted, they can simply change it to "i.ama.Spammer@gmail.com" (which may not yet be blacklisted). Upper/lower case letters do not matter either (that goes for all email addresses, even non-gmail ones).

You can read more about this on this blog post.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to OPIE