Element Hiding Helper for ABP

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

Element Hiding Helper for ABP

Postby Mr.Dead » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 pm

What is the logic behind EHH for ABP not being recognized by OPIE? EHH has preferences stored in prefs.js.

Windows 7 x64
Firefox 14.0.1
ABP 2.1.2 w/ EHH 1.2.3
OPIE 4.1
Mr.Dead

Re: Element Hiding Helper for ABP

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:50 pm

I don't know much about EHH or ABP (which I'm assuming is "Adblock Plus"), but if the extension does not follow the standard preference naming convention, OPIE cannot find them itself. If you supply the "extension preference root", OPIE will work with the extension. See the OPIE homepage for a more detailed analysis.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Dead » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks for the reply Chuck. Yes, ABP is Adblock Plus, and EHH is Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus; both programs are written by Wladimir Palant. While ABP shows up in OPIE's configure tool, EHH does not. EHH's GUID is "elemhidehelper@adblockplus.org."
Mr.Dead

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:16 pm

The GUID wont be of much help in this case (unless you want to manually edit the [profile]/OPIEedits.json file).

Take a look in about:config and see if you can find any preferences for EHH. If so, note the root name. For instance, here are the preferences for the OPIE extension in about:config. Notice how each starts with the string "extensions.opie". That is the extension root for OPIE.

Does the EHH extension appear in Tools > OPIE > Configure > Get extension info? If so, double-click on the line that mentions the extension to expand it. Then double-click on the "Preference root" line to edit it.

After the edit, click "Save" and you should be good to go.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Dead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:14 pm

I just realized something that I should have known before posting. Element Hiding Helper has preferences configurable only through the prefs.js file (about:config); meaning it doesn't offer a native options menu through it's UI. However, I do not know if that's the only or sole reason for EHH to be absent in OPIE's configuration tool.

For what it's worth, I entered EHH into the OPIEedits.json file, but that did not fix this issue, so I removed the entry.

extension list.JPG
Here is the list of installed extensions.
extension list.JPG (168.1 KiB) Viewed 9155 times

preferences.JPG
EHH preferences in the about:config UI
preferences.JPG (60.85 KiB) Viewed 9155 times

Config list.JPG
EHH is absent from the OPIE configuration tool.
Config list.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 9155 times
Mr.Dead

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Element Hiding Helper has preferences configurable only through the prefs.js file (about:config); meaning it doesn't offer a native options menu through it's UI. However, I do not know if that's the only or sole reason for EHH to be absent in OPIE's configuration tool.

Yes, that is the reason. An extension must have the "<em:optionsURL>" tag listed in their install.rdf file. This tag tells Fx (and OPIE) that there exists a dialog box to set user options for the extension. The absence of this tag does not mean no preferences exist, but only there is no UI to set/change them. It does seem odd that Wladimir would include preferences without an easy way for the user to change them. If they are not meant to be changed, why not just hard-code them into the extension? If they are meant to be changed, why make the user jump through hoops by requiring them to use an obscure, non-intuitive method?

Anyway, if you really wanted to export those preferences, you could could "trick" OPIE into doing so. Just change the preference root of any of the extensions OPIE knows about to "extensions.elemhidehelper" and perform the export. Then rename the resulting export file to something appropriate. (Don't forget to change the extension root back :wink: )
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.Dead » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks Chuck! I apologize for misunderstanding the limitations of OPIE. Thanks for your help!
Mr.Dead

Return to OPIE