Change files naming - don't add version #

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

Change files naming - don't add version #

Postby makondo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 am

I might be missing something, please let me know then.
When i export prefs as separate files, it adds ext. version numbers. So, if there has been an update for an ext. since the last export, even though 'override...' is selected, the files do not override but saved as yet another file and i have to go clean out old files. For instance, just an example: SomeExtension {1.1.1}.oprefs dated 01.01.12 and then SomeExtension {1.1.2}.oprefs dated 04.04.13.
Could there be an option to choose file name format? Or an option not to add the version numbers? It would be good to have simple name file with exts. names only (like: SomeExtension.oprefs) as an option.
TIA!
makondo

Re: Change files naming - don't add version #

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Are you sure that is a good idea? OPIE notes the version ID so that restoring preferences always matches extension version. I can't speak for every extension developer, but when I release a new version of an add-on the likelihood that there are new and/or different preferences specific to that version is quite high. And restoring incomplete/incompatible preferences could stop the extension from working at all.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Change files naming - don't add version #

Postby makondo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Yes, i thought of that and agree with you. But then you have to go delete all the dupes. I suppose i can save them in different folders and delete folders as i move from one Fx version to another. Should be easier than one by one ... if i can remember to do it.
Sorry, didn't think of that one. Thanks, case closed! :thumbup:
Good Luck, Chuck!
makondo

Return to OPIE