OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

Postby anon42 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:30 pm

I just updated to OPIE 5.0 and I noticed that there is no longer a Configure tab. I removed OPIEedits.json from my profile to see if OPIE 5.0 could find the special extension naming conventions that Configure addressed in OPIE 4.2 and it appears to be working in the one extension I sampled (I actually have 6 special cases). But I would just like some confirmation. Does 5.0 have a reliable way now of finding the special extension names or is it a bug that Configure is missing? If Configure is no longer needed then can I assume I can remove OPIEedits.json from my profile?
anon42

Re: OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:54 pm

You are correct. OPIE now finds the preferences by looking in the extension's default/preferences/*.js files. If none exist, OPIE will assume there are no preferences to export. This is actually a step up from the old way where the user had to hunt down the preference root.

See the OPIE homepage for more information.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Great. Thanks for the confirmation and I your reference to the OPIE homepage where I see that confirmation.

By the way, the Ghostery (5.3.1) addon apparently doesn't play by the rules since I now get a message from OPIE 5 saying Ghostery prefs cannot be found and are skipped. I think OPIE 4.2 just ignored the failure since I never saw the error before and never noticed the Ghostery prefs were not being saved so that good. Apparently Ghostery saves its prefs in a "ghostery" folder in the profile. I only point this out because now with OPIE 5 I have to dismiss the additional message dialog when selecting all and doing the export. Yes, I now know to expect this. And yes I know I can uncheck the checkbox not to try to save it. But all these require an additional clicks or keystrokes. So perhaps we still need some sort of "Configure" to specify an "always ignore" for select all (or maybe just a single checkbox pref to not report the error at all -- with burden on the user to know what the implications are of doing this).

Just a thought.
anon42

Postby scruboak » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 am

Can you be more specific about where it finds the extensions or their preferences?

Do you mean a path like this for example?
C:\Users\scruboak\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\abcd1234.default\extensions\
or specifically for FEBE for example:
C:\Users\scruboak\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\abcd1234.default\extensions\{biglongidnumber}\defaults\preferences
and then prefs.js file (or some other name .js file) in that folder?
Because OPIE found 23, incl. Ghostery, and backed up 22, excl. Ghostery.
On the other hand, I only have 7 subfolders in that extensions folder so it must be using something else.
Does it maybe also use what's in about:config (browser's prefs.js file)? Like maybe the extensions.bootstrappedAddons entry?
Not that it matters much since it only finds what it finds, and I probably can't do anything to make it find more. (about 1/2 of mine were found) Just curious.
scruboak

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm

All your installed extensions (except those installed globally) should reside in your C:\Users\scruboak\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\abcd1234.default\extensions\ folder. Within that folder, you may have additional sub-folders (with the name the same as the extension's GUID) or .xpi files.

OPIE looks in these sub-folders for the directory defaults/preferences (in the case of the .xpi files, OPIE will unzip them first) and consider the contents of any .js files as the preferences.

You can view the contents of any .xpi file with a zip utility (like 7-zip) either directly or by first renaming the file to .zip.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby scruboak » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:50 pm

OK, I have a bunch more files, but I had been just looking for folders. I did not think they'd be writing user prefs to a zipped file format (maybe unzipped for write access to save prefs?). Anyway, I'm sure that explains the difference, thanks. Let me know if I can do any tweaking to get those others recognized (probably not though).
scruboak

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:05 pm

OPIE only looks in the .js files for the default preference names. The actual current value of those preferences are taken from prefs.js in the Fx profile folder (as seen in about:config).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:48 pm

It's been a while since I started this thread and after seeing the one reply and my reply to that then nothing else for weeks I stopped checking and I haven't been back here until now. I'm back here now because, frankly, I which you would put back the "old" way of configuring! I just realized that maybe 25% of my addon's are not being saved because they are not on the OPIE "Get List" list (but do have actual preferences). Here's some examples that were skipped in my profile,

Downloads Window
User Agent Switcher
SearchLoad Options
Searchbar Autosizer
Restartless Restart
Menu Editor
FlagFox
Findbar Tweak
Customizations for Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus

And Ghostery, while listed, causes OPIE to reports a diagnostic that its preferences could not be found and was skipped (I guess I reported that in my original post).

I didn't have problems saving this prefs in the "old" method. Of course admittedly I had no occasion to try to restore from the saved .oprefs files either.

Note, I didn't look into my prefs.js to see why these addons aren't picked up by OPIE, but I am guessing that whatever naming conventions these addons are using for their pref names are being missed by OPIE, as opposed to what I used to do with the "old" method by me actually looking at prefs.js to see what names are being used so that I could explicitly configure them with the "old" configure scheme.
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:41 pm

While the 'old' way of using user-supplied preference roots might be preferable to programmer-savvy people like yourself, the majority of users would not have the knowledge of how do discover them. In order to have OPIE more user-friendly for those who simply wanted to backup their extension preferences with minimal hassle, I modified it to the 'new' way. While neither way guarantees that every single preference will be recognized and backed up, the new way is much simpler for the user.

OPIE will not find preferences of extensions for which their developers did not follow Mozilla's best practice for defining default preferences.

If you prefer the 'old' way, you should re-install OPIE v4.2. To keep Fx from automatically updating OPIE, you can change OPIE's install.rdf file to include an arbitrarily high version number (i.e., 999.99).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:38 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:If you prefer the 'old' way, you should re-install OPIE v4.2. To keep Fx from automatically updating OPIE, you can change OPIE's install.rdf file to include an arbitrarily high version number (i.e., 999.99).

Ok, done. Now I have my missing addons prefs being saved.

But maybe you should still consider adding a "expert"/"advanced" checkbox that shows and/or enables a (normally hidden/disabled) "configure" for those users that know how to handle their special cases while still wanting to use your latest version. Given Mozilla's annoying history of breaking various addons in newer FF versions who knows how long 4.2 will last?!
anon42

Postby anon42 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:13 pm

cbaker_admin in the thread Opie 5.0.1 Not See Pref For Add-on wrote:Perhaps in the next major OPIE release, I will add back that ability so more advanced users can get the full benefit.
I guess that means you are at least considering my suggestion! :clap:

But in the meantime, for the current versions of OPIE, to avoid new OPIE user confusion, you should at least update (remove) the images on the Mozilla Addon page which still shows the "old" (<=ver 4.2) configure preference.
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm

the images on the Mozilla Addon page which still shows the "old" (<=ver 4.2) configure preference.

Fixed ... Thanks for the reminder
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:56 am

anon42 wrote:
cbaker_admin wrote:If you prefer the 'old' way, you should re-install OPIE v4.2. To keep Fx from automatically updating OPIE, you can change OPIE's install.rdf file to include an arbitrarily high version number (i.e., 999.99).

Ok, done. Now I have my missing addons prefs being saved.

But maybe you should still consider adding a "expert"/"advanced" checkbox that shows and/or enables a (normally hidden/disabled) "configure" for those users that know how to handle their special cases while still wanting to use your latest version. Given Mozilla's annoying history of breaking various addons in newer FF versions who knows how long 4.2 will last?!

There's been no further discussion in this thread since Aug. 30, 2014 but I did notice the view count reached 900. I red bolded my quote above. It took until FF35, and a about a week for me to notice it, but FF35 finally "broke" OPIE 4.2! so for me it's the end of OPIE. I now consider OPIE useless since I cannot save the prefs for at least 10 of my extensions some of which are current and consider (IMO) key extensions.

cbaker_admin wrote:...
OPIE will not find preferences of extensions for which their developers did not follow Mozilla's best practice for defining default preferences...

That may be your opinion but the fact remains addon authors, some for the more popular addons (for example, IMO, Classic Theme Restorer and Tab Mix Plus), don't observe those "standards".

It was good while it (OPIE 4.2) lasted. But it's time to say good bye. To me a tool (in this context an addon) that doesn't completely address what it is supposed to address is not worth using.

You appeared to be pretty accepting on allowing us to use the "old" colors for FEBE. Why not for OPIE adding that expert preference I suggested? While a functionality option may not be in the same category as a GUI change I really think this should please be reconsidered.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:15 am

Why not for OPIE adding that expert preference I suggested?

It has always been my intention to add back that functionality to OPIE. In fact, I have started the process several times but always get called away by more pressing matters (Fx 35 broke more than just OPIE and I've been scrambling to apply hot-fixes to get them to work again. FEBE v8.3 was just released yesterday and that has been months in the works.).

In any event, I've applied a hot-fix to OPIE v4.2 to make it compatible with Fx 35 (I'm releasing it as version ~4.3. The tilde should prevent Fx from automatically updating OPIE with the newer versions.).
Attachments
opie4.3.xpi
Hot-fix for Fx 35
(342 KiB) Downloaded 502 times
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:23 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:It has always been my intention to add back that functionality to OPIE. In fact, I have started the process several times but always get called away by more pressing matters (Fx 35 broke more than just OPIE and I've been scrambling to apply hot-fixes to get them to work again. FEBE v8.3 was just released yesterday and that has been months in the works.).

Oh, OK, and thanks for the ~4.3 fix. :clap: I didn't know you had planned to put configure back (or whatever equivalent form it takes).

In any event, I've applied a hot-fix to OPIE v4.2 to make it compatible with Fx 35 (I'm releasing it as version ~4.3. The tilde should prevent Fx from automatically updating OPIE with the newer versions.).

That was never a problem for me since I've always used Add-on Update Checker and it provides a mechanism to filter out update checks on specific addons. So back when all this started I simply added OPIE to its filter to ignore OPIE updates. Oh, and ironically enough, Add-on Update Checker is one of those addons that needs to be specially configured in OPIE since it doesn't follow the "standard" naming convention either!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Next

Return to OPIE