OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:28 pm

Strange. Since you have no problem drawing the adjustable column title formatting in the Initialize tab table.

The initialize tab uses a XUL tree element which allows adjustable columns. The configure tab use listbox elements which are not resizable. I had to write a 'hack' to get the columns to resize.

I remain unconvinced until that "Reset Prefs" button appears and I can play around with it.

The 'Reset prefs' button only appears after you get an extension via the 'Select extension' button.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:
The 'Reset prefs' button only appears after you get an extension via the 'Select extension' button.

Ah, so it does.

After playing around with the "Reset prefs" for a few extensions here's what I found myself repeatedly doing...

1. I have to select each addon, one at a time with the "Get preferences". I have 45 addons. So it's a long list. There is no simple way for me to keep track of where I am on the addons list so I need to remember which addons still need to be edited. It would be nice if the GUI was changed in some fashion to tell me which addons I modified (or not modified). Also maybe allow shift/click to select multiple addons (and possibly a select all button) if I want to apply the Reset Prefs to a whole set of addons at once (see 2 below).

2, I found myself always selecting defaults/preferences/*.js to each addons since that is my initial preference (pardon the pun). It would be nice if I could say "apply to all addons" and also allow the the ones I've checked/unchecked in the Reset prefs to be the default for the next addon I select in the Get preferences list.

3. Every addon I select I find myself having to remove the install-event-fired preference. I believe this should always be ignored. That or some kind of filter support added to filter out stuff like this.

This Get preferences/Reset Prefs scheme may give me the fine-grained control over the prefs that I want so in that sense I like it. But as implied above you could add some additional GUI features to it to make it easier to use.

I think the idea to make it as easy as possible to configure these preferences is not just desirable from a user-interface point of view I am also thinking of the probably inevitable event of having to recreate the configuration from scratch if it get corrupted in some fashion. In the "old" OPIE there were many times I would try to do a configure only to find the addons list remained blank. It appeared or acted as if the OPIEedits.json was corrupted. "Corruptions" could be a simple as enabling or disabling an addon that wasn't in the OPIEedits.json. But reconfigure was simple. Delete OPIEedits.json and then edit only the special addons that needed root changing (I kept a list of those - only about 15 of them).

This new OPIE2 fine grained editing is a powerful feature. But if its data gets corrupted (I guess that would be OPIE2data.json) I won't be too happy wanting to go through all that editing again on each addon, one by one, to get back to what I originally had.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 pm

1. I have to select each addon, one at a time with the "Get preferences". I have 45 addons. So it's a long list. There is no simple way for me to keep track of where I am on the addons list so I need to remember which addons still need to be edited. It would be nice if the GUI was changed in some fashion to tell me which addons I modified (or not modified).

I've added color-coding to the extension names in the configure dropdown list. Green means the default prefs were determined through the 'Initialize all OPIE2 preferences' routine. Blue means the user has modified the assigned prefs at least once, and red means no preferences are assigned.

Just after 'Initialize all OPIE2 preferences' was run:

After 'FEBE' was reset using the checked options:

Note: the only way to turn the blues back to green is to reset prefs with all four boxes checked (or run 'Initialize all OPIE2 preferences' again).

Also maybe allow shift/click to select multiple addons (and possibly a select all button) if I want to apply the Reset Prefs to a whole set of addons at once (see 2 below).

This is essentially what the 'Initialize all OPIE2 preferences' routine does. But it does assume all four options are checked. How valuable would it be to allow the options to be changed for this function? It would seem to me that all four would retrieve the maximum number of preferences and would be the most common configuration.

2, I found myself always selecting defaults/preferences/*.js to each addons since that is my initial preference (pardon the pun). It would be nice if I could say "apply to all addons" and also allow the the ones I've checked/unchecked in the Reset prefs to be the default for the next addon I select in the Get preferences list.

The four options checked status persist across sessions.

3. Every addon I select I find myself having to remove the install-event-fired preference. I believe this should always be ignored. That or some kind of filter support added to filter out stuff like this.

I'm not sure about this one. I believe it is out of OPIE2's scope to arbitrarily exclude certain preferences. I suppose I could include a 'blackclist' routine,but that would just add another layer of complexity to the extension. Would it really matter if the 'install-event-fired' preference was included during the export/import? Probably not, because in most cases the extension would be installed before the preferences were imported and the 'install-event-fired' pref would be set to 'true' during that install. The exported preference would also be set to 'true' so importing it would make no difference.

I am also thinking of the probably inevitable event of having to recreate the configuration from scratch if it get corrupted in some fashion....I am also thinking of the probably inevitable event of having to recreate the configuration from scratch if it get corrupted in some fashion.

Ah ... but that is what FEBE is for :wink:

OPIE21.0.4.xpi
OPIE2 latest changes
(303.84 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to OPIE