OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

Re: OPIE 5.0 - Configure tab missing?

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:42 pm

BTW, Mozilla is very clear on how preferences should be named. In fact, the Mozilla Extension Etiquette page states:

Preferences' internal names

Internal Firefox preference names for extensions or to be clear, the name of the preference as it appears in the about:config, should start with "extensions.," then the name of the extension, with a dot, then the name of the preference. For instance, a boolean for the Reporter extension's option for hiding the privacy statement is, "extensions.reporter.hidePrivacyStatement".
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:13 pm

FWIW, here's my list of preference roots I have to explicitly configure:

Code: Select all
Add-on Update Checker      extensions.UpdateAddon
Classic Theme Restorer     extensions.classicthemerestorer
Cleanest Addon Manager     extensions.cam
Context Search X           extensions.contextsearchx
Downloads Window           extensions.downloads_window
Extension Options Menu     extensions.ExtensionOptionsMenu
Link Visitor (4.0.0+)      extensions.linkvisitor
More About                 extensions.moreabout
Restartless Restart        extensions.restartless-restart
Tab Mix Plus               extensions.tabmix

So they all do begin with "extensions." but the extension names vary in different ways with some as minor as removing spaces and capitalization and others as major as just using the first letter of each word of the addon name. Hey, what can I say? It is what it is. Can't force these guys to follow the naming conventions and its too late for them to change now I think.

By the way I think I can argue that addons like Classic Theme Restorer are following the "standard" as well as many of the others on the list I show. They are the names of the respective extension only with spaces removed and casing. I don't think I see any user_pref() specification in prefs.js with spaces in the preference they are trying to set. Similarly in the entire about:config's list (which of course includes the prefs.js settings). So with that argument I could understand why Cleanest Addon Manager might need to be explicitly configured but not Classic Theme Restorer (unless casing is significant too).
Last edited by anon42 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:36 pm

True, but the developers should not use just any arbitrary name. Every Fx extension has a file called "chrome.manifest" bundled in the .xpi. In that file there is only one 'extension name' and that is the same as the chrome resource directory name.

For instance, here's FEBE's chrome.manifest:

overlay   chrome://browser/content/browser.xul   chrome://febe/content/febeOverlay.xul
overlay   chrome://navigator/content/navigator.xul   chrome://febe/content/febeOverlay.xul
content   febe   chrome/content/ contentaccessible=yes
resource  febe   modules/
skin   febe   classic/1.0   chrome/skin/
style   chrome://browser/content/browser.xul   chrome://febe/skin/febe.css
style   chrome://global/content/customizeToolbar.xul   chrome://febe/skin/febe.css

locale   febe   en-US   chrome/locale/en-US/
locale   febe   bg-BG   chrome/locale/bg-BG/
locale   febe   ca-AD   chrome/locale/ca-AD/
locale   febe   cs   chrome/locale/cs/
locale   febe   cs-CZ   chrome/locale/cs-CZ/
locale   febe   da   chrome/locale/da/
locale   febe   de   chrome/locale/de/
locale   febe   el   chrome/locale/el/
locale   febe   es-ES   chrome/locale/es-ES/
locale   febe   et-EE   chrome/locale/et-EE/
locale   febe   fa-IR   chrome/locale/fa-IR/
locale   febe   fi-FI   chrome/locale/fi-FI/
locale   febe   fr   chrome/locale/fr/
locale   febe   gl-ES   chrome/locale/gl-ES/
locale   febe   he   chrome/locale/he/
locale   febe   hr-HR   chrome/locale/hr-HR/
locale   febe   hu-HU   chrome/locale/hu-HU/
locale   febe   it   chrome/locale/it/
locale   febe   ja-JP   chrome/locale/ja-JP/
locale   febe   ko-KR   chrome/locale/ko-KR/
locale   febe   lt   chrome/locale/lt/
locale   febe   nl   chrome/locale/nl/
locale   febe   pl   chrome/locale/pl/
locale   febe   pt-BR   chrome/locale/pt-BR/
locale   febe   pt-PT   chrome/locale/pt-PT/
locale   febe   ro-RO   chrome/locale/ro-RO/
locale   febe   ru-RU   chrome/locale/ru-RU/
locale   febe   sk-SK   chrome/locale/sk-SK/
locale   febe   sl-SI   chrome/locale/sl-SI/
locale   febe   sv-SE   chrome/locale/sv-SE/
locale   febe   tr   chrome/locale/tr/
locale   febe   tr-TR   chrome/locale/tr-TR/
locale   febe   uk   chrome/locale/uk/
locale   febe   uk-UA   chrome/locale/uk-UA/
locale   febe   vi   chrome/locale/vi/
locale   febe   zh-CN   chrome/locale/zh-CN/
locale   febe   zh-TW   chrome/locale/zh-TW/

Notice that the name is 'febe' (not 'FEBE', nor 'FirefoxEnvironmentBackupExtension', nor anything else). This 'chrome name' must be unique to keep it from conflicting with other installed extensions. If developers use inconsistent and otherwise arbitrary naming conventions, it will only wreak havoc as more and more new extensions are created.

But you're right ... it is what it is. Eventually, Mozilla will have to be more strict and catch these kinds of things during the required extension validation prior to being granted full review and acceptance on AMO.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Awful quiet in here! Any news on when or if OPIE will be updated to add back the configure option? In the meantime thanks for the special ~4.3 version which has been needed for some new addons I've added in the past few months.

On the hope that you do add the configure back in, and maybe with the hope you fix a problem I just discovered with the special ~4.3 with its configure, I found a case that ~4.3 doesn't handle properly that maybe you should be aware of.

I've recently added an addon named Self-Destructing Cookies. It's preference root is extensions.jid0-9XfBwUWnvPx4wWsfBWMCm4Jj69E@jetpack. Yet when I specify this to OPIE ~4.3's configure it displays in red indicating it is being rejected and thus the addon does not show up in the export list. I assume the weird root naming syntax is confusing OPIE?

I asked the Self-Destructing Cookies author about that weird root name. He says "The cryptic format is the recommended default for jetpack-based add-ons, as generated by Mozilla's add-on SDK." So I guess no one can argue with that!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks for the info.

I don't think I'll get a chance to re-develop OPIE until this summer (I work at an elementary school and we get two months off in the summer). In the meantime, I've just released FEBE v8.6 and some users are discovering some problems that did not come up in beta testing. On top of that, I'm trying to finish up a new extension (Firefox Extension Conflict Troubleshooter) which is very close to a beta release.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Ok. I can wait. It's not really a big problem for my case. SDC only has three prefs in user.js, none of which are critical to its overall behavior.
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:07 pm

The configure tab is back! It does things a little differently, but I think it gives you more control over which preferences are exported.

See OPIE2.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 pm

anon42 wrote:
cbaker_admin wrote:FYI, OPIE2 (with the configuration tab back) is available on AMO.

Please test at your convenience and let me know if it works as expected.

Thanks for finally getting back to this. But since you want to know if it works as expected, that's a definite no (IMO). This seems way more complex to me. I needed to play with it to see what it was trying to do.

In the original OPIE all a user needed to do was specify the extension root for only those extensions that required special root name cases. In this new scheme you never can tell which are the exceptional cases. I keep records of what are my exception cases. So I picked one example; Context Search X.. It's root is extensions.contextsearchx.

After doing the initialize step I looked at what "Get preferences" displayed for Context Search X. It showed 389 preferences! 389? I see only 18 in the xpi's preferences contextsearch.js file. All these begin with extensions.contextsearchx. But OPIE2 shows preferences beginning with "browser." (where did "browser." come from?) in addition to the desired 18 starting with extensions.contextsearchx. And I don't know why there should be a saved entry for the ...install-event-fired value.

Bottom line this thing is trying to save way more data that I think it needs to. And while the little up/down arrow button is to to move various prefs from the top to bottom pane and vice versa, then that shifts the burden of moving the needless info to the user who then must go through every single addon in their list of addons. And if s/he does spend all that time heaven help them if they should accidentally select Initialize again wiping out all that work (unless you issue a warning before hand -- didn't try that).

I like the idea of getting the root out of the preferences in the xpi. But I wish you just had modified the original "old" scheme to just use that as a cue for the root when it could not otherwise determine it "normally". Or just always only use the xpi preferences and list as "(unknown)" or blank pane if there wasn't any preference file. At least then the exceptions would stand out.

Another minor nit - I can't adjust the Configure column widths like I can with the Initialize columns.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:48 pm

I found out what's going on with the "Context Search X" problem. OPIE2 (and OPIE, for that matter) determines the default preferences in four different ways. It parses the Fx prefs.js (about:config) file for entries matching the patterns:

1. extensions.{chromename}.*
  2. extensions.{guid}.*
  3. {chromename}.*
and items listed in /defaults/preferences/*.js.

{chromename} is determined by looking in the extension's install.rdf file for the optionsURL tag and taking the string immediately following "chrome://". The "Context Search X" chromename is "browser" in this instance:

<em:optionsURL>chrome://browser/content/search/engineManager.xul</em:optionsURL>

which is odd because all his other chrome urls begin with "chrome://contextsearchx/". There are always going to be special cases like this. That is why I made OPIE2 to be as unrestricted as possible when assigning preferences.

In this case, you could create a user-defined package named, perhaps, "Context Search X" and assign only the preferences found in /defaults/preferences/*.js

I'm going to modify OPIE2 to prompt for the types of preferences to search for. If you would like to test it, I'll attached it to this thread. Note that because of the recent Mozilla extension signing requirement, you'll need to install the Firefox Developer Edition and change the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I have a modified version. It allows you to choose which methods to use to reset an individual extension's prefs. It is unsigned so must be installed with the Firefox Developer Edition or the latest beta release.

OPIE21.0.1.xpi
Modified OPIE2 - unsigned
(265.6 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Have other things going on. I downloaded 1.0.1 and will give it a try when I get a chance.

FYI, the signing enforcement doesn't occur until FF41 is released (later this month I think). FF40 has no problem with it being unsigned. It just reports a warning in the addons list.
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:04 pm

I've made a small change. The listbox columns now can be resized.

OPIE21.0.2.xpi
Resizable listbox columns
(266.1 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:52 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:I've made a small change. The listbox columns now can be resized.

And now the column headings are too narrow vertically. The column divider looks about right but the horizontal line should be below (or at bottom) of the divider not cutting through the column heading titles.

I have a modified version. It allows you to choose which methods to use to reset an individual extension's prefs.

Where is this option. I don't see any change.

In this case, you could create a user-defined package named, perhaps, "Context Search X" and assign only the preferences found in /defaults/preferences/*.js

About user defined packages. I fiddled with these. Presumably I create a name for a user-defined package. Then it's listed in the the Configure "Select extensions" and I guess I add what prefs I want to include in the package. I find that the "User defined packages" tab lets me add duplicate names, blank names, and there is no way (as far as I can see) to delete a user package (name).

So at the moment my original opinion about this remains. It puts much more burden on the user to identify which addons are the exceptional cases
anon42

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:26 pm

And now the column headings are too narrow vertically.

That appears to be a Mac rendering issue. The horizontal line of the scale should be hidden as shown below (I've also tried on an Ubuntu (Linux) box and it looks as it should. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac to test with.)

The options are under the "Reset prefs" dropdown menubutton.

I find that the "User defined packages" tab lets me add duplicate names, blank names,

You're right ... I'll fix that.

and there is no way (as far as I can see) to delete a user package (name).

Just click once on an item to select it, then press the "Delete" key on the keyboard. This is explained in the help window (click the 'i' icon next to "User-defined packages".)

So at the moment my original opinion about this remains. It puts much more burden on the user to identify which addons are the exceptional cases

True, but each exceptional case is, well ... exceptional and most likely unique. This way offers the most permissive and lenient way to assign preferences. It does require more technical expertise on the user's part. That is why I released OPIE2 as a new, separate extension (OPIE and OPIE2 have different GUIDs) - it is more advanced and takes a more technically versed user to use.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby anon42 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:18 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:
And now the column headings are too narrow vertically.

That appears to be a Mac rendering issue. The horizontal line of the scale should be hidden as shown below (I've also tried on an Ubuntu (Linux) box and it looks as it should. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac to test with.)

Strange. Since you have no problem drawing the adjustable column title formatting in the Initialize tab table.[/quote]

The options are under the "Reset prefs" dropdown menubutton.

I'll still repeat my question. Where is it? I see no "Reset Prefs" button in the Configure tab like you show in your pict.

Just click once on an item to select it, then press the "Delete" key on the keyboard. This is explained in the help window (click the 'i' icon next to "User-defined packages".)

I've tried selecting (it does highlight the name) but deleting with the delete key. Nothing happens. How about a more explicit and positive control like adding plus/minus buttons below the table. If there are difference in OS's between key codes this would avoid that.

Update: I just realized I have two delete keys on my keyboard. One does work (it's grouped with a number of control keys - home, page up, page down, and a few others). The other (larger) key grouped with the main keyboard and normally use doesn't. I still recommend you add explicit "add/delete" (+/-) buttons at the bottom of the table to avoid this exact confusion interpreting key codes.

True, but each exceptional case is, well ... exceptional and most likely unique. This way offers the most permissive and lenient way to assign preferences. It does require more technical expertise on the user's part. That is why I released OPIE2 as a new, separate extension (OPIE and OPIE2 have different GUIDs) - it is more advanced and takes a more technically versed user to use.

I remain unconvinced until that "Reset Prefs" button appears and I can play around with it.
anon42

PreviousNext

Return to OPIE