OPIE "Overwrite existing exports" setting

"Ordered Preference Import/Export" discussion and bug reporting.

OPIE "Overwrite existing exports" setting

Postby tdushane » Sun May 22, 2016 8:24 am

When I run OPIE using "Create individual preference files" checked, it creates files as described.

If I un-check "Overwrite existing exports," and then run OPIE, it still overwrites my existing exports, so there is one (most recent) preference file for each Add-on.

Perhaps my environment is the problem:
Windows 7 SP1 with *all* (~250) recommended updates to 2016-05-21, FireFox-ESR 45.1.1.
In case my other extensions are a problem, here is a list of them:

Prefs files stored by OPIE
FEBE{8.9.2}.oprefs
FlashandVideoDownload{1.82}.oprefs
FlashVideoDownloader-YouTubeHDDownload4K{13.2.1}.oprefs
GooglePrivacy{0.2.4.1-signed.1-signed}.oprefs
OPIE{6.6}.oprefs
Pocket{3.0.6}.oprefs
RefControl{0.8.17.1-signed.1-signed}.oprefs
SQLiteManager{0.8.3.1-signed.1-signed}.oprefs
Status-4-Evar{2015.11.16.23.1-signed.1-let-fixed}.oprefs
TreeStyleTab{0.17.2016031101}.oprefs

DISABLED add-on - as listed in FEBE:
AdblockPlus{2.7.3}.xpi

add-ons from FEBE list with prefs not saved by OPIE (non-standard prefs files?)
EasyYoutubeVideoDownloaderExpress{9.07}.xpi
FirefoxHelloBeta{1.1.14}.xpi
Multifox{3.2.2.1-let-fixed}.xpi
NewTabOverridebrowser.newtab.urlreplacement{2.3.1}.xpi
PrivacyBadger{1.7.0}.xpi

This is, as one can see, not a major problem. I am very thankful for both FEBE and OPIE. They are one of the principal reasons I usually use FF rather than Chrome, and I tell anyone who will listen about them.

I'll check here periodically to see if there's something I'm missing (or if OPIE is intended only to save the most recent preferences, anyway).

Sincerely,

Ted Dushane

P.S. I understand I can save older preferences by creating a system of manual folders. I just thought OPIE would save more recent copies with a date stamp concatenated with the name or with a concatenated number or would save them in folders with the date stamp in the name as is done by FEBE.
tdushane

Re: OPIE "Overwrite existing exports" setting

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun May 22, 2016 5:23 pm

P.S. I understand I can save older preferences by creating a system of manual folders. I just thought OPIE would save more recent copies with a date stamp concatenated with the name or with a concatenated number or would save them in folders with the date stamp in the name as is done by FEBE.

No, OPIE is not that sophisticated. If the 'overwrite' options is un-checked, OPIE is supposed to just skip the creation of preference files that are already contained within that directory. I just checked it (with Fx Developer Edition v48.0a2) and it is working as expected for me. If I export the preferences twice, the first time creates all the preference files and the second time OPIE creates none (because the export files already exist with the same name). Are you sure OPIE is actually overwriting? Does the popup window say ['X] new export file(s) created' instead of '0 new export file(s) created'? Do the timestamps on the files reflect the actual creation date?

If you like, you may want to try the more advanced version of OPIE, OPIE2. It gives you much more control over how the exports are created including the ability to export non-standard preferences (but you have to already know what they are).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to OPIE