How to install TEBE

Thunderbird Environment Backup Extension

How to install TEBE

Postby chocka » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Since I found FEBE, I am fan yours. So I downloaded TEBE, because I like the automated backup function. I have the TEBEbeta(20090105_115843).zip file, but if winrar it, I get something from which I do not know what to do with it. Please, explain how to install it?!
chocka

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Installing extensions in Thunderbird is a little bit different than Firefox. Since Thunderbird does not have a built-in browser, you cannot just navigate to a site, click on an .xpi and have it automatically install itself. For the same reason, you can't attempt to download the Thunderbird .xpi with Firefox because Firefox would try to install it in itself. To get around this, many times the .xpi is available as a .zip instead (since an .xpi is nothing more than a renamed .zip file anyway).

To make a long story short, just rename TEBEbeta(20090105_115843).zip to TEBEbeta(20090105_115843).xpi and install it through the Thunderbird add-on manager - Tools > Add-ons > Install....
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby chocka » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 am

cbaker_admin wrote:(since an .xpi is nothing more than a renamed .zip file anyway).

Never know, but as simple as to know. Thanx.
chocka

Postby chocka » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:13 pm

Its a pity, it works only on Thunderbird v3.0 and higher. And I still uses TB 2.0.0.19

Is it possible to install v3.0 over the old TB version, without losing any of my old TB version, like mails; addresses; add-ons etc of TB??? Otherwise I need to wait for v3.0 will updated into the old TB. And NO I do not want to use two TB's next to eachother, I you can understand me.
chocka

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Thunderbird 3.0 is still in beta so I wouldn't depend on it as my only email client.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: How to install TEBE

Postby cocoleshea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi, I've downloaded TEBE and changed it to .xpi. However, when I try to install it in Thuderbird I get an error that says it is not a valid package. Obviously, I am doing something wrong here. Just trying to backup my emails so I can transfer them to a new computer...
cocoleshea

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:33 pm

How are you trying to install TEBE? Have you tried the steps outlined here?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby puduncle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Perhaps someone can set me straight. I downloaded TEBE. In the downloads folder the file does not show the extension, so I added .xpi, and this resulted in an TEBEbeta0.xpi.zip file when I brought it up in Winzip. So, then I opened Winzip and deleted the .zip in a Winzip window, and then I was not able to do anything with this. I have the 17.0.2 version of Thunderbird. Pardon my ignorance, but could someone please spell out exactly from beginning to end how to proceed. FEBE was easy to install for FireFox because it was automatic.
puduncle

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Download the latest TEBE by clicking this link. In the download window that Fx brings up, the file name to save is listed as "tebe@guid.softwarebychuck.com.xpi.zip". Remove the ".zip" at the end and save the file as "tebe@guid.softwarebychuck.com.xpi".

In Thunderbird, click Tools > Add-ons > ("gear" icon) > Install Add-on from file.... Navigate to where you saved tebe@guid.softwarebychuck.com.xpi, double-click on the name and follow the prompts to finish the installation.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to TEBE