Schedule/Shutdown option doesn't work right

Thunderbird Environment Backup Extension

Schedule/Shutdown option doesn't work right

Postby bege » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:48 am

Hi,
thank you!, TEBE is what I waited for.

The information on the shut-down option says, that the backup will run when TB is closed, not restarted.
The opposite is the case. TEBE runs the backup when TB is restarted, but not when closed.
Please fix this. Thank you.

TB 3.0.1
TEBE beta(20090111_192528)

Edited:
It's a bit more tricky:
The backup only starts when restarted with the extension "Restart Thunderbird".
The TB restart button in the add-on window doesn't make TEBE run.
But the backup at shut-down is not run anyway, even if this extension is deactivated.
bege

Re: Schedule/Shutdown option doesn't work right

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Ok, I've been able to duplicate/verify the following (Tb v3.0):

TEBE options are set to backup on startup and shutdown.

There are two ways to shutdown Tb:
  1. File > Exit
  2. Clicking the close ("X") icon

There are three ways to restart Tb:
  1. Clicking "Restart" from within the Extension Manager.
  2. File > Restart Thunderbird (using "Restart Thunderbird v1.0" extension)
  3. File > Restart Thunderbird (using "Mr Tech Toolkit v6.0.4" extension)

When using method one to shutdown, TEBE always performs a backup. Method two does not.

When restarting, TEBE does not backup when closing, but always does when starting. This is normal.

There seems to be a problem with the "Restart Thunderbird" extension. It does perform a backup when closing (which it should not), but does not actually start Tb again. It remains closed.

Bottom line is that TEBE seems to be working as designed. One thing I should make more clear though, is the difference between "closing" and "exiting" Tb. Although they are technically different methods (per the Tb source code), TEBE should probably treat them the same.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Schedule/Shutdown option doesn't work right

Postby bege » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi Chuck,
thanks for your quick response.

cbaker_admin wrote:
There are two ways to shutdown Tb:
  1. File > Exit
  2. Clicking the close ("X") icon
One thing I should make more clear though, is the difference between "closing" and "exiting" Tb. Although they are technically different methods (per the Tb source code), TEBE should probably treat them the same.

I agree, I didn't understand that difference and would like TEBE to run in both ways because I always close it by clicking the ("X") icon.

>Edited: Well, there is another way to close TB: Alt+F4
>and the progress bar of TEBE runs and runs and runs ...
>... and does the same when clicking the ("X") icon, now as I meanwhile have installed "Mr Tech Toolkit v6.0.4" - very nice :) - and uninstalled "Restart Thunderbird v1.0".
How come that TEBE now starts (and doesn't end until abort) when clicking the ("X") icon?

cbaker_admin wrote:There are three ways to restart Tb:
  1. Clicking "Restart" from within the Extension Manager.
  2. File > Restart Thunderbird (using "Restart Thunderbird v1.0" extension)
  3. File > Restart Thunderbird (using "Mr Tech Toolkit v6.0.4" extension)

When using method one to shutdown, TEBE always performs a backup. Method two does not.

When restarting, TEBE does not backup when closing, but always does when starting. This is normal.

There seems to be a problem with the "Restart Thunderbird" extension. It does perform a backup when closing (which it should not), but does not actually start Tb again. It remains closed.

Yes, indeed. "Restart Thunderbird" and TEBE seem not to like each other. Before I installed TEBE "Restart Thunderbird" worked fine.
bege

Return to TEBE