How to use?

Thunderbird Environment Backup Extension

How to use?

Postby Wol » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:43 am

Chuck: I have been using FEBE and it worked well to transport my FF data across to a new Windows 7 netbook, so I have installed TEBE on my TB installations on that and my main computer.

However, I cannot find any instructions like there are for FEBE - I don't want to import my backup file incorrectly! Any links, please?
Wol

Re: How to use?

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:28 am

TEBE is quite similar to FEBE and works much the same way. If you are already comfortable using FEBE, then TEBE should be easy for you to use. In fact, I make mention of this at the top of the FEBE FAQ. If you have any specific questions, however, please feel to ask here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Wol » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks Chuck (I did reply many weeks ago but it somehow didn't get posted!)

I had to re-install Windows seven last week (don't ask...) and couln't get my head around the automatic restoring the FF and TB profiles, so I did them both manually and this worked very smoothly - easier in fact than doing it via the menus.

There *is* one thing: if I set either to only keep say five backups, neither will do any further saving of profiles when the five are reached, until I manually delete the oldest one. Is this just me?
Wol

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:36 pm

No, when the Maximum backup directories to keep is reached, the oldest should automatically be deleted, leaving (in this case) only the five most recent backups. Is this not happening to you?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Wol » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:53 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:No, when the Maximum backup directories to keep is reached, the oldest should automatically be deleted, leaving (in this case) only the five most recent backups. Is this not happening to you?

No, it doesn't happen with either TEBE or FEBE.

I have now set the number of backups to 0 - according to the info this makes them backup without limit - but today no backups occurred at all. FEBE 6.3.2 and TEBE 20090111_192528.
Wol

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any error messages. Copy/paste them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Wol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:55 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Are you getting any FEBE related errors in the error console (Tools > Error Console)? You may also want try the Console² extension for error checking. It is more comprehensive.

Also try running "Clear FEBE preferences" and "Verify extension directory" in Tools > FEBE > FEBE Options > Misc.

If you are still experiencing problems, try this: Open and clear the Error console. Leave it open and perform a backup. After a few seconds (when the progress meter starts moving again) examine the error console for any error messages. Copy/paste them here.

Thanks for the reply.

There were no reported errors in the FEBE line that I could see, but numerous ones in the TEBE error console. I did a screenshot of them and deleted them - then found I cannot send the screenshot to you via this site! However, most of them are in the form mailbox///C|/Users........./inbox?number=... and then either 1181185 or 1009348, if that helps.

I have also just done as per the last paragraph (Manual backups) - both TB and FF backed up into the correct directory OK, and there were no errors or warnings in the console.

I also checked the extension directory (whatever that is!) and it came up with

Verify complete: 1 extensions/themes found

and a link to your site. I haven't cleared either TB or FF preferences because it says I will lose all folders (in TB) and I don't want to lose all my data!
Wol

Postby Wol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:02 pm

PS to my last post: It does seem that both TB and FF will backup quite normally IF a manual update is performed. I have just done that with both, and have reset the options to allow a large number of backups to be "kept": I will reset the automatic backup options to the near future and see what transpires.
Wol

Postby Wol » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:19 pm

PPS to the last post: I reset the scheduling to occur shortly afterwards, and both FF and TB backed up correctly - no errors. (Backups set to keep a large number)

From this I suggest there's a bug in both, concerning the number of backups to be kept: setting this number to either zero or the number actually *in* the directory causes TEBE and FEBE to skip scheduled backups.

I am going to keep both set to a large number, and every so often delete some of the oldest ones, as a work-around.

Cheers.
Wol

Postby Wol » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:52 pm

I have only just read of your medical problem, Chuck: I trust that you are recovering well and will be back to normal very shortly. Not a pleasant experience.

PPPS - Further to my last post, even stranger!

Both FEBE and TEBE behave the same. I thought (as above) that I had it worked out but no.

Regardless of the max no. of backups set in the options, and regardless of the number of backups already in the appropriate directories, *manual* backups work just fine. However, scheduled backups do *not* happen at all - except for the very first one after the schedule time is set, and after restarting FF or TB.

In other words, if I have a scheduled backup nothing happens at the backup time. If I go into the options and reset a time, then restart the program, the backup occurs on that time. But subsequent backups don't happen, unless I do another reschedule/restart.

Baffles me! :shock:
Wol

Return to TEBE