Box.net login problem- password

Thunderbird Environment Backup Extension

Box.net login problem- password

Postby rel_dude » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:57 pm

First of all I have to say that I absolutely LOVE both FEBE and TEBE!
I just installed the updated version of TEBE (20100727-120000) because I upgraded to Thunderbird 3.1.2 on openSUSE 11.3 GNOME. I recently set up a Box.net account so I decided to set up online backup through TEBE (works fine in FEBE).
For whatever reason, TEBE wouldn't take my password to login to Box.net. What I mean by that is that my password consists of 10 characters, which I entered into the appropriate box and clicked Save Login. Then when I click on the Test Login button I get the Login Invalid error. Furthermore, upon closing the TEBE options window and opening it up again I find that the login fields are grayed out but that there are only five *s in the password field (remember, my password has 10 characters). Obviously, trying to login again ends with the same results. Again, no problems with FEBE when I set it up.

I managed to fix this by tinkering with the Config Editor. I found that the extensions.tebe.boxpassword entry was unaltered and empty. I double-clicked on that entry and entered my password in the box that opened, and now when I return to the TEBE options window there are 10 *s in the password field (still grayed out) and the Test Login succeeds.
This is obviously a work-around, as I'm guessing this is really a bug.
Thoughts?
rel_dude

Re: Box.net login problem- password

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:12 pm

You're right. I just tried to upload my TEBE backup and got a similar message. TEBE is also not remembering my changes to the Box.net credentials on the screen, but does appear correctly in the password manager under Tools > Options > Security > Passwords > Saved passwords even though it does not allow me to login.

The value stored in about:config for "extensions.tebe.boxnet.password" should actually be "<encrypted>" and not your actual password. That entry is a left-over from older TEBE versions that did not use the built-in password manager.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Box.net login problem- password

Postby rel_dude » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:14 am

Just to clarify:
I have two keys in the config editor that appear to have to do with the Box.net password-
extensions.tebe.boxnet.password - which is set to <encrypted> as you posted, and also
extensions.tebe.boxpassword - which is the one that I manually set to my password which solved the problem. Tinkering with the former didn't help.
rel_dude

Return to TEBE