TEBE Beta(20120323_REJIG) Hangs after first Extension/Theme

Thunderbird Environment Backup Extension

Re: TEBE Beta(20120323_REJIG) Hangs after first Extension/Th

Postby spaceShot9 » Wed May 16, 2012 3:02 am

Hi Hugo,

The_Boojum wrote:
restarted Thnderbird in case there was some other problem. Checked that the new version was in - it was. Did Quick Backups of all extensions - No problems.
Then did Backup of all extensions and got the following messages in the Log:
Timestamp: 11.05.2012 18:45:22
Error: TEBE debug: tebeCopyFile(): Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsILocalFile.remove]
Source File: chrome://tebe/content/tebeCommon.js
Line: 159

Timestamp: 11.05.2012 18:45:23
Error: tebeBuItemVerifiedList is not defined
Source File: chrome://tebe/content/tebe.js
Line: 805

Thanks, you have trapped something useful there. The tebeCopyFile "errors" are actually normal insasmuch as they're not fatal. They're being reported now because of the additional error reporting I put in place. I still need to look at this because I don't think it should be complaining about normal copy operations that can't be completed because the file isn't present.

The last error is a problem because the variable tebeBuItemVerifiedList isn't defined and would be fatal I think. I don't know why it didn't happen for me, that's a bit of a mystery, however, I fixed that problem and I'm about to post another version for you to try. Investigating that also showed me that there were some related pieces from FEBE that I had missed and not ported, so I've added those now, too. The new code is related to extension verification and should be used when backing up and when using the Verify Extension Directory function on the Advanced tab.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers.
spaceShot9
Contributor

Postby The_Boojum » Thu May 17, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Gary,
await your new version eagerly.
Regards,
Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby spaceShot9 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:21 am

Hi Hugo,

The_Boojum wrote:await your new version eagerly.

No waiting required. It's been in the pinned post for 2 days.

Ciao.
spaceShot9
Contributor

Postby The_Boojum » Fri May 18, 2012 9:31 am

Hi Gary,

installed version from 0516.

It now hangs in the "Results Page" phase. Errors from log are:

Timestamp: 18.05.2012 18:26:23
Error: TEBE debug: tebeCopyFile(): Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsILocalFile.remove]

message above repeated 8 times, once for each extension, followed by:

Timestamp: 18.05.2012 18:26:24
Error: tebeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined

Regards,

Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri May 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Hugo and Gary,

The (f|t)ebeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined error condition is usually fixed by running Clear (F|T)EBE preferences under the Advanced tab in the options window. The underlying cause of the error is still not addressed, but the fix is known.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby The_Boojum » Thu May 24, 2012 11:29 pm

Hi Gary and chaker_admin,

clearing the prefs worked fine. As long as I do not back up the messages it now completes normally.

However if I add the messages to be backed up it writes only 2 files and does not issue the end report. The files are:
profileTb{default}.tbu which is very big, as it should be, and
Results - TEBE 2012 05-24 22.31.24.html which I cannot open.
It appears that
a) none of the extensions, address books or prefs were backed up, and
b) none of the messages from other profiles were backed up, which I assume means that I have to run TEBE for each of my userids separately.
There appeared to be no messages in the error log.
Regards,
Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby spaceShot9 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:22 am

The_Boojum wrote:Hi Gary,

installed version from 0516.

It now hangs in the "Results Page" phase. Errors from log are:

Timestamp: 18.05.2012 18:26:23

message above repeated 8 times, once for each extension, followed by:

Timestamp: 18.05.2012 18:26:24
Error: tebeBuItemVerifiedList[key] is undefined

Regards,

Hugo

I had enabled the backup verification code and I think that it was causing problems. Everything seemed to be working quite well a few versions ago. I've now disabled it so we'll see how things change. I also fixed the copy error, which was caused by not checking that a file existed before trying to remove it. I'll post a new version in the usual place.

Fingers crossed.

Chuck, can you provide some input here? What is the status of that code in your eyes? It is somewhat of a mess, unfortunately, and it appears to me that it had been disabled because it had had issues somewhere along the line. There are multiple conflicting function and variable declarations related to this functionality so it really needs cleaning up or removing. Much of it is still active but the controlling pref is hard-coded to false to prevent it operating. I have a feeling there used to be an option for verification but that's no longer present either.
spaceShot9
Contributor

Postby The_Boojum » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:37 am

Hi Gary,
have selected "Backup Items" - Backup Themes & Backup Extensions, "Additional Items" - Backup all Address Books, Backup Message Folders & Backup Preferences. Backup Type - Selective. Now everything works fine except the Messages are not being backed up, the file - mailMessages{default}.tbu - is 0k. The "Chrome script timeout" is set to 0. There were no TEBE Debug messages in the Error Log. The TEBE Results Report says that the messages were backed up.
Regards,
Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby spaceShot9 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi,

The_Boojum wrote:Now everything works fine except the Messages are not being backed up, the file - mailMessages{default}.tbu - is 0k. The "Chrome script timeout" is set to 0. There were no TEBE Debug messages in the Error Log. The TEBE Results Report says that the messages were backed up.

I'm unclear what you're saying as you seem to contradict yourself. Are the messages not backed up or is mailMessages{default}.tbu OK. How can it be both? Please clarify. Otherwise it sounds like things have improved, which is good.

Ta.
spaceShot9
Contributor

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:34 pm

spaceShot9 wrote:Chuck, can you provide some input here? What is the status of that code in your eyes? It is somewhat of a mess, unfortunately, and it appears to me that it had been disabled because it had had issues somewhere along the line. There are multiple conflicting function and variable declarations related to this functionality so it really needs cleaning up or removing. Much of it is still active but the controlling pref is hard-coded to false to prevent it operating. I have a feeling there used to be an option for verification but that's no longer present either.

Yes ... I was in the process of completely removing the validate backup code and must have gotten side-tracked. The function was not very helpful anyway. The only "validation" it performed was insuring that the backup file was indeed written to disk. Restore functionality and zip archive testing were my ultimate goals for that, but never got implemented. In retrospect, I believe the added functionality does not justify the added bloat. The only true test of a valid backup is simply to restore it and see if all is ok (even then it is only guaranteed valid at that particular moment - storage media goes bad, backup files get overwritten, etc.).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby The_Boojum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 am

Gary,
the report says that the messages have been backed up, but the file on the disk is empty - so the code is writing the entry in the report when it creates the backup file and not when the actual backup has been done. There is no backup data. In a previous version when I only selected the messages to be backed up it worked fine. In the latest version even this no longer works. At the moment there seems to be no way to back up the messages.
Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:19 am

Hugo, What happens when you un-check the "Run asynchronously" option in TEBE options > How to backup?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby The_Boojum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 am

Gary,
asynch worked fine. Will schedule a backup with everything tonight in asynch mode and see what happens. Will post a reply tomorrow.
Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby The_Boojum » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 am

Gary,
in asynch mode everything works fine. All extensions, prefs, address books, and messages backed up correctly.
Schedule now set for daily processing.
Many thanks for all your hard work to get this working.
I am, and will remain, a fan of TEBE/FEBE.
All the best
Hugo
The_Boojum

Postby spaceShot9 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:21 am

cbaker_admin wrote:
spaceShot9 wrote:Chuck, can you provide some input here? What is the status of that code in your eyes? It is somewhat of a mess, unfortunately, and it appears to me that it had been disabled because it had had issues somewhere along the line. There are multiple conflicting function and variable declarations related to this functionality so it really needs cleaning up or removing. Much of it is still active but the controlling pref is hard-coded to false to prevent it operating. I have a feeling there used to be an option for verification but that's no longer present either.

Yes ... I was in the process of completely removing the validate backup code and must have gotten side-tracked. The function was not very helpful anyway. The only "validation" it performed was insuring that the backup file was indeed written to disk. Restore functionality and zip archive testing were my ultimate goals for that, but never got implemented. In retrospect, I believe the added functionality does not justify the added bloat. The only true test of a valid backup is simply to restore it and see if all is ok (even then it is only guaranteed valid at that particular moment - storage media goes bad, backup files get overwritten, etc.).

Alrighty, thanks. I've disabled most of it already. In due course I'll step through and remove the remaining references.

Cheers.
spaceShot9
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to TEBE