Unfamiliar file type name.

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Unfamiliar file type name.

Postby lancer525 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:11 pm

I have a rather odd situation.

Recently, during an update that I neither authorized nor permitted, Firefox wiped all of my settings, passwords, and bookmarks. This took place somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd of April, if I recall correctly.

I've managed to get past most of that, finding an older profile from an external backup. That's not the issue.

I have found a folder on my current hard drive that apparently has backups of bookmarks, but they all have a file extension I do not recognize, and don't know what to do with.

The full file name is: bookmarks-2017-03-26_4035_No4D9buiBNU3O01CxMShvA==.jsonlz4

Is there a way that I can use this file to repair my missing bookmarks? What exactly would I have to do in order to recover any bookmarks from this time before this update of Firefox? The date on the bookmarks seems to be March 26, which is clearly before the forced update that wiped all my passwords.

Also, if there are backups of my bookmarks, could there be backups of my passwords as well? What would I have to look for in order to find these?

Thanks!!
lancer525

Re: Unfamiliar file type name.

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 pm

The file "bookmarks-2017-03-26_4035_No4D9buiBNU3O01CxMShvA==.jsonlz4" was not created by FEBE, but it does look like a zipped up bookmarks backup. Have you tried opening it yet? Try using a program like 7zip. You may have to rename the file to "bookmarks-2017-03-26_4035_No4D9buiBNU3O01CxMShvA==.zip". After unzipping it, you might be able to import the bookmarks under Tools > Bookmarks > Show all bookmarks > Import and backup.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Windows 7 issues