Unable to Restore FEBE backup on migration to Windows 7

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Unable to Restore FEBE backup on migration to Windows 7

Postby Precentor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:20 am

Hey there,

I backed up Firefox with FEBE when I was using XP for an OS earlier. This evening I upgraded to Windows 7. FEBE however, is unable to restore my restore! When I try to import it is looking for a .Json file, and I only have a .fbu, .xpi, and a results file. I've tried renaming the .fbu to a zip extension, but when I do and try to extract Windows tells me it's not a valid Zip application.

Help!! I was counting on this working, it will set me back forever if it doesn't start working. :(

Precentor
Precentor

Re: Unable to Restore FEBE backup on migration to Windows 7

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:30 am

What are the actual names of the three files FEBE created? What versions of Firefox and FEBE were used during the backup and the restore?

The .fbu file is indeed a renamed .zip. If you are having problems un-zipping it, use 7zip
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Precentor » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:41 am

I believe Firefox 9 for XP, but I wouldn't swear to it, sorry!

FEBE{7.0.3.2}.xpi
profileFx4{default}.fbu
Results - FEBE 2012 01-25 12.36.47

I actually was trying to use 7zip, thanks though!

Hoping for a resolution,
Precentor
Precentor

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 pm

The profileFx4{default}.fbu file is your full profile backup. You do not need to unzip it yourself unless you are manually restoring. If you want FEBE to do the restore, you can follow the steps in this tutorial.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby CraigS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:15 am

The FAQ How-To-Restore-Profile seems to start from the South and the Tutorial starts from the North. Do they still Both arrive at the same place?
(ie) The FAQ starts with Create a New Profile and Install FEBE. The Tutorial starts (apparently) from within Firefox w/the "problem" Profile via Toolbar FEBE>Restore Profile>Sel Local Profile to Restore and a New Profile is created after Open the Desired Profile.

I just installed FEBE and have never had to Recover. Did you Ref the Tutorial in this Thread Because it's the Best Method now?
For the Non-experts not knowing what New FEBE Ver's involve it would be Great to have both sites match instructions or have Both sites Offer Method 1 & 2. Confusing, otherwise, as to which one will work/should be used.

Thanks for a Great Utility!
CraigS

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:54 pm

You're right. There are two sets of instructions describing the same thing by using different methods. The FAQ is a little outdated and I will be re-writing a lot of it when FEBE 8.0 come out (late this summer 2013, I hope).

I've updated the FAQ by removing the older profile restore instructions. The best way to restore a profile using FEBE 6.0 (and above) is by following the instructions on the FEBE 101 - Restoring a Firefox Profile page.

Thanks for pointing that out!
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby CraigS » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 am

Thanks back at ya.

I look forward to testing Febe right away as Finding Issues in FEBE Recovery when I'm in a REAL Uh-Oh situation doesn't seem to be the best time.
CraigS

Return to Windows 7 issues