Firefox Not Picking Up FEBE in Global Install Folder

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Firefox Not Picking Up FEBE in Global Install Folder

Postby crayadder » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi there,

I have downloaded the FEBE extension and tried installing it globally by renaming the xpi by its ID and I tried unpacking the xpi into a folder also named by the extension's ID. I put both items (in separate tests) into the c:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\Extensions folder and started Firefox. Neither method resulted in the extension automatically installing. I opened the add-ons window, clicked on extensions and neither showed up in the list.

What else could be wrong?

To confirm I am using Firefox 9 32bit on Windows 7 64bit and FEBE 7.0.3.2

Thanks for the help,
Crayadder
crayadder

Re: Firefox Not Picking Up FEBE in Global Install Folder

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm not sure Mozilla is really supporting global extensions anymore. (See this.)
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby crayadder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 am

Hi Chuck,

Yeah, I did find that. However, I seem to have found a workaround by putting the unpacked extension in Firefox\distribution\bundles. I had to rename it by FEBE's internal ID. When I opened Firefox, there she was! Now, I just need to know where you have FEBE storing its settings? Are they in the registry or is it a config file of some sort?

Thanks so much for your attention.
Cray
crayadder

Postby crayadder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:40 pm

NM,

I found it. Thanks for your help Chuck! If I can actually get a global effect I will post what I did if anyone is interested.

Cray.
crayadder

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:40 pm

As you probably found out, FEBE stores its preferences as extensions.febe.* in about:config. (The actual storage file is prefs.js.) But I don't know if or how Fx stores global preferences. A little googling informed me that on at least some *nix platforms, global preferences can be stored in /etc/firefox.js. But I could find no parallel in Windows.

You should also know that the option "Include a copy of FEBE in backup" will not work because FEBE ignores all globally installed extensions.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby crayadder » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Well, that explains why FEBE wasn't backing up! LOL. That helps. Thanks, Chuck. When I tried adding FEBE to the backup the process would just spin its wheels and not finish.
crayadder

Return to Windows 7 issues