Progress Window stuck

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Progress Window stuck

Postby selvan777 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:04 am

v7.0.3.5 is acting up this morning.

Perform Backup, the results page opens in a new tab indicating it took about 1.5 seconds but the "FEBE Backup in progress... Please wait" window never closes and is in fact still open with the green sliding activity indicator active even as I am typing this post now in Firefox when it should be unresponsive as before.

It has performed very quick successful backups in the past and I have not added/changed anything recently.

febe.jpg
febe.jpg (236.25 KiB) Viewed 15012 times
selvan777

Re: Progress Window stuck

Postby selvan777 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:20 am

I've tried clearing FEBE preferences.
I've disabled and removed FEBE, and installed a new.
I installed Console² and followed your instructions but it produced no FEBE related errors.
I ran "Verify extension directory" with and no red text was generated.
I ran "Check AddonManager functionality" and got the two below but both are in the ignore list.

Addon with GUID of linkfilter@kaspersky.ru is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory
Addon with GUID of virtualKeyboard@kaspersky.ru is reported by AddonManager but does not have an entry in the extensions directory

And yet, the windows remains open saying it's preparing the results page which it already did in a new tab in the background.
selvan777

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 am

You say there are no error console messages but the progress window never closes? Take a look again with the "All" button clicked and see if there are any errors, warnings, or messages. If you don't have the progress window displayed (turned off in FEBE Options > How to backup > Display progress window) does the backup still complete?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby selvan777 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Without changing a thing, I opened the Error Console, Cleared it, ran FEBE (backup completes but window remains open), I clicked the All tab, searched for FEBE and found the below (4) Warnings. Since the window doesn't close like it used to, I always have to click "Abort" even though the backup completed successfully. I then turned off the Progress Window and did the same and found the bottom (2) warnings. But every second attempt gets me the message "Backup is already running", so, I have to click "Cancel" and try again. This since I don't have the Progress window with the"Abort" button. It does complete the backup successfully again though.

With the Progress Window:
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property febeAddons[FEBE_GUID]
Source file: chrome://febe/content/febeCommon.js
Line: 393
----------
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property febeProgressWin.document
Source file: chrome://febe/content/febe.js
Line: 1524
----------
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property item.tooltip
Line: 919
----------
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this.docURL
Line: 974

Without the Progress Window:
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property item.tooltip
Line: 919
----------
Warning: ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this.docURL
Line: 974
selvan777

Postby thjms » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:21 am

Hello!
I've experienced the same problem: the window with the back-up progress stays open, back-up seems to go on and on, it doesn't end.
I noticed that a folder has been created (FEBE + date-time stamp, as I've always had before), with all things inside...
But there is no closing... (with the typical "zoooofff"sound).
Greetings from Holland,
Theo
thjms

Postby selvan777 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:16 am

cbaker_admin wrote:...look again with the "All" button clicked and see if there are any errors, warnings, or messages...

CBaker,
Any suggestions based on the provided results you asked for? It ran again this morning as scheduled and nothing's changed.

Theo,
Are you still experiencing the same or?
selvan777

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:46 pm

I've created a list of what FEBE does during a backup attempt. These are pretty much all the steps performed in the order they are performed when a backup is initiated.

IF FEBE fails during any step, an appropriate message should be displayed in the error console pointing to the place in the code that is failing. Unfortunately, the error messages are sometimes more than a little cryptic and it is difficult to determines what is actually failing. Hopefully, this list will help determine where FEBE is failing.

Here is a list of procedures FEBE performs each time a backup is started:

1. Check status of all asynchronous and pending operations. When Fx first opens, FEBE requests a list of all currently installed extensions and themes from the AddonsManager. This action is performed asynchronously (i.e., in the background) and, if it works correctly, should only take a few milliseconds to complete. For reasons not yet known, this process sometimes does not complete and FEBE displays the "Extensions data is still loading" message and stalls the backup.
  2. Collects all FEBE preference data (options) and starts a timer that calculates the time required to complete the backup.
  3. Determines the "backup destination directory" exists and is writable. If not, abort the backup and open FEBE Options fore the user to supply a valid directory.
  4. Performs a "sanity check" to determine if the options the user has set will result in anything being backed up. (For instance, if neither "Backup extensions" nor "Backup themes" is checked and no "Additional items" are checked, there is nothing for FEBE to do.)
  5. FEBE looks up the name of the current profile to use in the backup file names.
  6. The directory where the FEBE extension resides is analyzed so FEBE can create a backup of itself is requested.
  7. FEBE checks to see if any extension/theme installations are pending and warns the user if found.
  8. A time-stamped backup directory is created if necessary.
  9. The "dom.max_chrome_script_run_time" preference is changed temporarily if the user has requested it. (This prevents the "Script is busy" message from appearing if the backup is taking too long to complete.)
  10. FEBE checks to see if there is already a backup in progress. If there is, the current backup is aborted.
  11. All FEBE toolbar buttons are disabled.
  12. The FEBE progress window is opened and FEBE waits 1000 ms (one second) before starting the backup. The delay is to allow the progress window is fully open and display the progress meter. If the progress window is not to be displayed, this step is skipped.
  13. FEBE determines whether a full profile or selective backup is requested.
  14. If a full profile is requested, FEBE zips up the entire profile directory and proceeds to step 30)
  15. If a selective backup is requested, FEBE does the following:
  16. The list of add-ons (extensions and themes) previously collected is parsed individually as an item.
  17. The name of the extension/theme being processed is written to the progress window. In practice, this name is never actually displayed due to the UI being locked up by the extensive backup processing.
  18. If the item is an extension and no extension backups were requested, the item is skipped.
  19. If the item is a theme and no theme backups were requested, the item is skipped.
  20. If the item is disabled and disabled extensions/themes are not requested, the item is skipped.
  21. If the item is on the ignore list it is skipped.
  22. If the item is a globally installed extension or theme, it is skipped.
  23. If the item is a proxy extension (an otherwise valid extension but not installed in the Firefox extensions directory) is it skipped.
  24. At this point, the item is considered valid and will be backed up.
  25. If the item is an .xpi package (a single file extension/theme) it is simply copied to the destination directory.
  26. If the item is an un-packaged extension/theme, FEBE creates a single .xpi or .jar file containing the contents of the extension/theme and places it in the destination directory.
  27. After each item is backed up, its name is added to a list of completed items.
  28. If requested, the following items are backed up (in sequence):
  29. Personas, bookmarks (.json and/or .html), preferences, cookies, userChrome, passwords, search plugins, browser history, form-fill history, permissions, user-defined backup items.
  30. A copy of FEBE is backed up if requested and was not already backed during the extension backup phase.
  31. The timer created in step 2) is stopped
  32. The progress window (if opened) is instructed to display the "Preparing results page ..." message.
  33. The FEBE results page is created and displayed. If requested, a copy is saved in the backup destination directory.
  34. The FEBE backup history file is written to.
  35. The backup complete sound effect is played (An angry buzz if errors were found, a pleasing "whooosh" if all is fine.)
  36. The FEBE progress window is closed.

It might be best to start at the bottom of the list and work up. For instance, if no sound effects are heard (but the backup seems to otherwise complete) then FEBE may just be having trouble playing sounds. If turning off "Play sounds" in FEBE Options > How to backup fixes the problem, then we can come up with other ways to test and/or work around the problem.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby selvan777 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Okay, a couple observations.

Error: ReferenceError: bookMarkId is not defined
Source file: chrome://tabmixplus/content/utils.js
Line: 349

Disabling Tab Mix Plus (v0.4.0.3) eliminates the error and fixes it.

Re-enabling Tab Mix Plus (v0.4.0.3) and deselecting Display progress window also eliminates the error and fixes it (selecting Detail or Summary doesn't have an impact). I am leaving it in this state for now. Tab Mix Plus (v0.4.0.3) is backed-up.

Would you like for me to edit that Line: 349 in some specific way?
selvan777

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Would you like for me to edit that Line: 349 in some specific way?

No ... since that code is in TabMixPlus I would suggest we let the TMP people address it. Would you consider posting the details in the TMP support forum? I can see how disabling TMP would eliminate the error you posted, but I'm confused as to why re-enabling but deselecting the progress window would have any effect at all. After all, TMP and FEBE shouldn't be "talking" to each other whilst going about their business so this type of error situation really makes no sense ...
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby selvan777 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Strange indeed. I just composed a message there and thought I'd try it again before posting... guess what, it works now!!! Weird stuff my friend.
selvan777

Postby selvan777 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Hmm, seems Tab Mix Plus has been an issue for many... http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/21/add-on ... s-the-fix/

I finally found the TMP that works for me in FF 17 in a post by Chris000001, it's installed as version 0.4.0.4pre.120724a... http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58629#p58629
selvan777

Postby LHMN » Sun May 05, 2013 1:24 pm

I have Windows 7, and have used FEBE w/o problem for a couple of years. Now* the Progress Window keeps "running" and doesn't stop until I hit close and then it is aborted.
Sorry I'm no computer wiz. The above conversations esp the 36 pt list are beyond my troubleshooting abilities.
I have removed and reinstalled FEBE 7.1.0 several times w/ no change. I'm concerned that it's not backing up as it should besides the fact that it is annoying.
Any solution?
Thanks!
*I think this is since a recent Windows update, about a week and a half ago.
LHMN

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun May 05, 2013 1:29 pm

You should have the latest version FEBE 7.3.0 if you are running Firefox 20.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby LHMN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Finally got back to this and yes FEBE 7.3.0 works!
Thanks!!
LHMN

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Actually, FEBE 7.3.0.1 is available on AMO and Firefox should automatically update your browser soon.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Windows 7 issues