FEBE used to do a much bigger profile (help...)

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

FEBE used to do a much bigger profile (help...)

Postby free2hear » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 am

Hi Chuck,

Congratulations for your wonderful extension which has been saving me for ages.

Last week i upgraded to a new machine. Previously had FF14 on XP. Now having FF14 (roboform doesn't like ulterior versions) on WIN7. Using FEBE 7.1 on both.

I managed to restore the FF profile (manually) after unzipping fbu and copying to FF profile folder. Upon first days i noticed FEBE closing too fast (new machine...??). I took a peak at the backup folder (had 5 versions enabled) and soon realized that i was on my last BIG backup (200MB) because all the other were around 7/9MB. I saved that backup on another place and tried to restore FF with these new FEBE backups but almost everything was gone and i had to disable FEBE in order to stop it from doing these little backups.

this is what actual OPTIONS look like

This is the size of actual profile

this is the size of the previous FEBE backup

Already tried several option inside FEBE, read almost all of the FAQ and didn't manage to put FEBE to do a full backup like it used to do.

Thanks for your time, effort on FEBE and other extensions and Help!
free2hear

Re: FEBE used to do a much bigger profile (help...)

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 am

The way your options are set, you are only performing a full profile backup which results in creating only one file (the one named profileFx4{default}.fbu. This file contains all the items in your profile (extensions, themes, bookmarks, etc.). This is expected when the FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type is set to "Full profile". If you want to backup items individually, you should set that option to "Selective" (or "Both").
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:The way your options are set, you are only performing a full profile backup which results in creating only one file (the one named profileFx4{default}.fbu. This file contains all the items in your profile (extensions, themes, bookmarks, etc.). This is expected when the FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type is set to "Full profile". If you want to backup items individually, you should set that option to "Selective" (or "Both").

thanks Chuck.

but that was not my question.

i stated that in my older rig (a week ago) FEBE usually did profiles about 200MB size. i could restore FF completely based on that febe backup.

now, FEBE does a) a 9MB profile if i chose full profile with some stuff selected or b) a 24/25MB profile if i choose both/slective as you suggested. Already tried to restore a full profile and most of the things on FF are gone.

it doens't seem to be the same FEBE that did a 200MB backup in a zip/fbu) file a week ago and now makes a 24MB profile of individual items. It's not important for me if it is a zip or a individual items (i prefer the zip). What's important is that FEBE really makes a complete backup, like it did a week ago, because it's the same version.

I can assume something different is ocurring in Win7 that didn't on XP, and for that matter FEBE is not working the same way on both. The point is, i can't restore a FF profile in it's entire dimension or at least so it seems.
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:42 pm

When you do a full profile restore, what is missing?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 am

i did a full backup (9MB) and a full restore. created a new profile and restored FEBE there. almost everything is missing.

you can see the differences here between a profile fully restored by febe previously (done last week at XP) and this new profile

free2hear

Postby free2hear » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 am

in this new pofile almost everything is missing.
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:02 pm

in this new pofile almost everything is missing.

After you complete a full profile restore, what is specifically missing? Are some/all of your extensions missing? Are some/all of your bookmarks missing? History? Usernames and passwords? Before I can help determine what is not working, I need to know where FEBE is failing.

Also, what is the setting of FEBE Options > How to backup > Ignore cache and phishing DB?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Hi Chuck,

this is what i backup

ignore cache greyed out by default

my regular profile with all the extensions

i don't save username and passwords within firefox. there is no history.

thank you for your time and help
my test profile with the newly restored backup from FEBE. Extensions missing (bookmarks ok).

free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:57 pm

The last image indicates that at least some of the extensions are being restored, but (for whatever reason) are disabled. Can you enable them by clicking the "Enable" button? There are a couple of extensions on that list that are not compatible withe Fx 14 and therefor cannot be enabled.

Do you know if your extensions are installed in the default location? That would be [profile]/extensions. FEBE cannot back them up if they reside somewhere else.

I'm curious. Why are you using Fx 14? The most current stable release is version 19.

ETA: Are you using the regular (not portable) version of Firefox? Can you post a copy of your FEBE backup report?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 am

cbaker_admin wrote:The last image indicates that at least some of the extensions are being restored, but (for whatever reason) are disabled. Can you enable them by clicking the "Enable" button? There are a couple of extensions on that list that are not compatible withe Fx 14 and therefor cannot be enabled.

Everything can be enabled on the new profile. Even the one that states it is not compatible with FF14, it is compatibel on my regular profile

cbaker_admin wrote:Do you know if your extensions are installed in the default location? That would be [profile]/extensions. FEBE cannot back them up if they reside somewhere else.

this is the extensions folder, some of the xpi extensions not inside a folder don't seem to be backed up

this is the mais profile folder, which also has some folders connected with extensions

cbaker_admin wrote:I'm curious. Why are you using Fx 14? The most current stable release is version 19.

One of the extensions went crazy with ff15 and never recovered. And i need that one.

cbaker_admin wrote:ETA: Are you using the regular (not portable) version of Firefox? Can you post a copy of your FEBE backup report?

Using the regular FEBE.
free2hear

Postby free2hear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 am

Backup type: Both (Selective & Full profile) — Total processing time: 4.773 seconds
Legend: [User disabled extension] [Error occurred and item was skipped] [Item was successfully verified] [Item failed validation] [Item does not have a custom icon] [Item was ignored]

Items processed: 45 total — Created in: C:\Users\joaoh\Desktop\FEBE 2013 02-25 00.07.04

*** 3 items skipped/ignored

1. Default (v14.0.1) — The default theme.
2. Adobe Acrobat - Create PDF (v1.2) — Converts a web page to PDF
3. Roboform Toolbar for Firefox (v7.6.4) — RoboForm is password manager and form filler for Firefox.

Extensions processed: 33 total
1. Adblock Plus (v2.2.3) — Ads were yesterday!
2. Advertising Cookie Opt-out (v1.5) — Save your opt-out preference permanently.
3. All-in-One Sidebar (v0.7.18) — Sidebar control with award-winning user experience!
4. Autocopy (v1.0.8) — Copies selected text to the clipboard automatically. Like Linux or mIrc.
5. Better GReader (v0.8.3) — Enhances Google Reader with a compilation of user scripts and styles. All scripts copyright their original authors. Click on the script homepage in the Help tab for more information.
6. Better Gmail 2 (v1.2) — Enhances Gmail with a compilation of user scripts and styles. All scripts copyright their original authors. Click on the script homepage in the Help tab for more information.
7. CacheViewer Fx6 (v0.9) — Allows saving, deleting, searching and sorting of cache files
8. CoLT (v2.6.0) — Makes it easy to copy link text and locations.
9. DoNotTrackMe (v2.2.6.110) — Stop secret tracking of your web browsing
10. DownThemAll! (v2.0.15) — The mass downloader for Firefox.
11. Download Statusbar (v0.9.10) — View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
12. Evernote Web Clipper (v5.4.1) — Provides a button and context menus to easily add a selection or an entire page to Evernote
13. Exif Viewer (v2.00) — Extracts and displays the Exif (Exchangeable Image File), IPTC-NAA/IIM (International Press Telecommunications Council / Newspaper Association of America / Information Interchange Model), and IPTC Core (Adobe XMP, Extensible Metadata Platform) metadata, as stored by digital still cameras, in both local and remote JPEG images.
14. FEBE (v7.1.0) — Backup your Firefox data
15. Ghostery (v2.8.4) — Ghostery identifies and allows you to block the 3rd parties (web bugs) that are hidden on the current page you're visiting. Web bugs include ad networks, behavioral data collectors and web analytics providers.
16. Greasemonkey (v1.7.1) — A User Script Manager for Firefox
17. LastPass (v2.0.0) — Last Password you will ever need
18. Menu Editor (v1.2.7) — Customize application menus
19. NoScript (v2.6.5.7) — Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other plugins) only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site). This whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality… Experts will agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript :-)
20. OpenBook (v2.0.1.1) — Allows for customization of the Add Bookmark dialog
21. PDF Download (v3.0.0.2) — Allows you to choose what to do with a PDF file: download it, view it with an external viewer or view it as HTML.
22. Pocket (v3.0.1) — Save pages to read later.
23. ProfileSwitcher (v1.5.0.2) — Adds profile name to status bar tooltip and options to launch other profiles
24. RSS Icon (v1.0.6) — RSS URL Bar Icon
25. Readability (v2.4) — Readability is a web and mobile app that zaps clutter and saves web articles in a comfortable reading view.
26. ScrapBook (v1.5.6) — Helps you to save Web pages and organize the collection.
27. ScribeFire Classic (v4.0.0.1) — A full-featured blog editor that integrates with your browser and lets you easily post to your blog.
28. Searchbar Autosizer (v2.0.14) — Expands the searchbox as you type.
29. Tab Mix Plus (v0.4.0.4) — Tab browsing with an added boost.
30. Toolbar Buttons (v1.0) — Adds toolbar buttons to the customize toolbar window in several programs including Firefox, Thunderbird and Sunbird. Some of the buttons make commonly preformed actions quicker, others add new functionality.
31. UrlbarExt (v1.8.1) — Extends the Location Bar with set of commands to (Shorten URL, Copy URL, Site search using Google, Navigate up/down, Tag pages, Navigate through sequential URL's, Surf anonymously using online phproxy servers, pNg, Twitter, And more!)
32. WOT (v20130129) — Web of trust.
33. Xmarks (v4.1.3) — Bookmark Sync and Web Discovery

Bookmarks backed up to: bookmarks{joaoh}.json
Bookmarks backed up to: bookmarks{joaoh}.html
Preferences backed up to: prefs{joaoh}.js
Cookies backed up to: cookies{joaoh}.json
User Chrome backed up to: userChrome{joaoh}.fbu
Usernames and Passwords backed up to: usernames-passwords{joaoh}.json
Search Plugins backed up to: searchPlugins{joaoh}.fbu
Browser History backed up to: history{joaoh}.json
Form Fill History backed up to: ffhistory{joaoh}.json
Permissions backed up to: permissions{joaoh}.json
User-defined "FEBE user-defined backup data" backed up to: FEBE data{joaoh}-febeUserDefinedBuData.json
Profile backed up to: profileFx4{joaoh}.fbu
free2hear

Postby free2hear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 am

FEBE seems to backup everything. My restore procedure is firefox-backup utilities-febe-restore profile-select profile-select local backup to restore-seletc the fbu file profileFx4{joaoh}
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:00 am

I guess the best thing to do is just start from the beginning. I'm going to make the following assumptions:

1. You have two machines, (A) running XP with Fx 14 in a profile named default, and (B) running Win 7 with Fx 14 with at least two profiles named default and joaoh. When you start Fx on machine B, you get the profile manager window displayed before the browser loads. (If not, create a link on your desktop that points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p (assuming this is where your current Fx installation resides. See this link for more information.))
  2. You still have access to the full profile backup you created on machine A (i.e., profileFx4{default}.fbu) either on a flash drive or installed somewhere on machine B. This backup is ~200mb in size and you presume it contains a complete full profile backup.
  3. We will be running Fx on machine B using the joah profile as the active profile and restoring the backup into the default profile.
  4. The default profile on machine B is empty (contains no extensions, themes, bookmarks, etc.). It doesn't have to be empty, I am just going to assume it is for the purpose of this post.
  5. The joah profile on machine B has at least FEBE installed.

If all the assumptions above are correct, the stage is set for the next step.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:I guess the best thing to do is just start from the beginning. I'm going to make the following assumptions:

1. You have two machines, (A) running XP with Fx 14 in a profile named default, and (B) running Win 7 with Fx 14 with at least two profiles named default and joaoh.
    Yes. The odl machine doesn't run anymore but i still have the FEBE Backup which i restored fully to the new machine.

When you start Fx on machine B, you get the profile manager window displayed before the browser loads. (If not, create a link on your desktop that points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p (assuming this is where your current Fx installation resides. See this link for more information.))
    I have the extension profile switcher. Does the same.
  2. You still have access to the full profile backup you created on machine A (i.e., profileFx4{default}.fbu) either on a flash drive or installed somewhere on machine B. This backup is ~200mb in size and you presume it contains a complete full profile backup.
    Right.
  3. We will be running Fx on machine B using the joaoh profile as the active profile and restoring the backup into the default profile.
    Right. It's called a test profile
  4. The default profile on machine B is empty (contains no extensions, themes, bookmarks, etc.). It doesn't have to be empty, I am just going to assume it is for the purpose of this post.
    Already did that, the results i showed you were form that step.
  5. The joaoh profile on machine B has at least FEBE installed.
Right.

If all the assumptions above are correct, the stage is set for the next step.
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:35 pm

1. Start Fx with the joaoh profile.
  2. Clear FEBE preferences (FEBE Options > Advanced > Tools > Clear FEBE preferences).
  3. While in FEBE Options, re-enter your FEBE Options > Where to backup > Backup destination directory. Close the FEBE options window.
  4. Start full profile restore: FEBE > Restore profile.
  5. --- Current (Active profile) should read joaoh
  6. --- Click Select local backup to restore and navigate to profileFx4{default).fbu
  7. --- Select test from the list for Restore profile into:
  8. Click Start profile restore
  9. When the restore is complete, close Fx and re-open it with the test profile.
  10. Verify that all extensions and other data are there.
  11. Again, run FEBE Options > Advanced > Tools > Clear FEBE preferences. Set the Backup destination directory and also make sure Use timestamp directories is checked and Backup type is Both. (Using timestamped directories will prevent older backups from being overwritten.)
  12. Also run FEBE Options > Advanced > Tools > Verify extension directory and Check Addon Manager functionality. Note any errors/problems.
  13. Perform a backup
  14. Verify that all the items listed on the FEBE Results Report are indeed contained in the backup destination directory (This can be done by clicking the Created in: link near the top of the report.) Manually open the profile{test}.fbu file and verify that the contents are complete and relatively identical to the original profile{default}.fbu file.
  15. Close Fx and re-open it with the joaoh profile.
  16. Perform the restore full profile procedure again, but restore it into a newly created profile (perhaps naming it test2) and using the profileFx4{test}.fbu file created above for the Select local backup to restore. This new profile can be created by clicking the Create new profile button in the FEBE profile restore window.
  17. Close Fx and re-open it with the new test2 profile. Verify that all extensions and other data are still there.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Windows 7 issues