FEBE used to do a much bigger profile (help...)

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Re: FEBE used to do a much bigger profile (help...)

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:24 am

the news is FEBE stopped working, no matter what options i choose! already disabled/enabled, remove/reinstalled etc etc. the only option i didn't do was to restore everything on FF from the old (big) FEBE profile.

One thing i noticed, if i restore (by hand, unzip, copy to fF profile folder)from that old profile, FF appears almost exactly the same. If i restore from those options you mentioned (new porfile, etc) FF is completeley "fresh", everything disbled, no configurations, nada. i'm sure i must be doing something wrong.

reporting later.
free2hear

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 am

free2hear

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 am

an analysis of the old profile space

free2hear

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:43 pm

didn't give up. yet.

FEBE stopped doing scheduled backups.

nevertheless if the febe button on the status bar is pressed it opens a window where a "backup now" option is possible (it would be nicer if this button was already at the options). i adventurously copied the "febeUserDefinedBuData" from the older profile to this one and made a manual "backupo now" through this option.

it did made a much bigger backup (a fbu of 200mb). when restored, this backup finally did put my firefox aprosimately how it was before. ff disabled a few extensions, whihc, btw never hd problems before but noe says they are incompatible, but that's not a febe problem i guess.

in short, febe is unable to do automated backups, probably because i recovered the old "febeUserDefinedBuData" to this new machine. nevertheless, it finally is able to do an (almost) full restore through febe (whihc i nevr did because i used to do it manually). i didn't do it by hand (unzip, copy, etc) but i will, to see if something different occurs (extensions not disabled for example).
free2hear

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

it can now do a complete backup like it used to do, if done manually. can't get to automate it.

on the new FF profile (testes) recently restored, the same error occurs. febe is unable to start scheduled (for example after a shutdown) but is able to do things manually.
free2hear

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 pm

febe healed by itself(?) everything is running smooth like it used to do. automated, backing up everything and restoring everything.

i'm buying a beer for the hassle, through the donate button ;)
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Good news! I guess sometimes things just work themselves out. (Not really when it comes to computer programs, but obviously something change, and it was for the better.)
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:58 pm

it took a few hours but as worth. it's one of the most useful extensions i can think of, and already saved me a LOAD of times. in the emanwhile i learned an alternate solution (although not so elegant) of course, of doing timestamped back ups through another aplication that also ratated them in order to have the nr of backups i wanted. it will prove useful in other ocasions, i'm sure. thank u very much, for yourtime and effort.
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:33 pm

In the future, I think I will advise users that are migrating to a different OS (in your case, XP to Win7) not to do a full profile restore. Windows and Linux have very different directory structures and full profile restores between those are problematic. I always suggest using a selective backup/restore in those cases. I know that XP and Win7 have slightly different assigned pathnames, and apparently it is enough in some cases to wreak a little havoc.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Hello Chuck,

Unfortunately, i'm back. FEBE didn't make a single scheduled backup since we talked. I forgot the matter and themn went ot the folder back today and NADA.

The status bar icon states correctly that tehre is another backup scheduled but it never happens.

I did a manual backup just now and it works, but somehow the scheduling's not working.

Any ideas?

Cheers
free2hear

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:05 pm

Let's see if any errors are occurring during the scheduled backup. Do you have the Console² extension installed? If not, please do so. It is more comprehensive than the native Fx error console.

Go into FEBE options > When to backup and set a scheduled backup for about five minutes from now. As soon as Fx restarts, start up Console² and clear the console. Exactly one minute before the scheduled backup starts, FEBE will emit a "ping" sound every ten seconds. Keep your eye on the error console. If anything appears, post it here.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby free2hear » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 am

Chuck,

This thing works everytime i talk to you. Do you have ESP powers??

Well, i downloaded the error consoler, scheduled a backup and it did the backup without further delay. I noticed a bunch of lines on the eerror console but If it keeps this way, it's resolved, if FEBE styops working the refular schedules again, i'll post them here.

Cheers
free2hear

Postby kadiir » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi:

I have the same issue as the original post. I lost my open tabs in FF 16.0.2 and when I went to my "full profile backup at FF exit" from the previous night to restore it, it pretty much wiped out my profile - all of my customizations & addons are gone and the worst part is losing my open tabs (you could say I have ADD as I had somewhere between 50 and 100 open tabs).

When I look at the unzipped .fbu file, it's missing a lot of files from the profile. In the picture I've attached, you can see on the left is the current, relatively fresh profile and on the right (in the 7zip window) is what's in the archive.

I don't know when it started as I haven't lost my tabs since I started using FEBE to back up the full profile. I only have archives going back to 2/17/2013 and all of them are pretty much the same although some stop at cert8.db.

Since my profile got wiped out (I thought there was an error and made the mistake of restoring to a new profile, finding it messed up and then restoring back to my original profile messing that one up, too), I don't know that there's any troubleshooting I can do.
Attachments
febe.jpg
febe.jpg (189.94 KiB) Viewed 20998 times
kadiir

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I think I see what is happening here. It would appear that Fx is stopping FEBE from completing the backup on shutdown. This is most likely due to the fact that the calls to the zip routine are run asynchronously by default and some of the calls are not queued before the full shutdown occurs.

Until I can get a fix written, there are a couple of work-arounds. First is to uncheck "Backup on shutdown". You could use "Backup on startup" (which does not suffer the same obstacles as the shutdown routine) or just perform your backups manually by clicking the FEBE toolbar icon. Another option would be to run the backup synchronously by unchecking FEBE Options > How to backup > Run asynchronously . The backup will take a little bit longer to complete, but Fx will recognize the backup in progress on shutdown and let it finish.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby kadiir » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Interestingly enough, in my "new" profile I was setting up FEBE and did a test run and it hung on the "backup in progress." Then I read your email & unchecked the async option and tested again and not only did it not hang but it has the full profile in the .fbu file now.

Thanks!
kadiir

PreviousNext

Return to Windows 7 issues