Lost all my bookmarks after System Restore

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Lost all my bookmarks after System Restore

Postby Pfw51 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 am

Over the past three months Windows 7-64 would crash and after much experimenting I was able to narrow it down to the fact that it only happens on Firefox. It never happened when I tried the same pages on IE or Chrome. I've been using the FEBE backup program for over a year, so I located the list of saved information on my flash drive. Then I saved my profile folder (I have LOTS of important bookmarks) on my desktop just to be safe. I returned Firefox to its default state and the problem remained, and then all chaos broke loose... I couldn't watch videos on YouTube or Facebook... my Adobe Flash quit working and for some reason the Adobe site wouldn't let me reinstall it, saying it was blocked. So I re-enabled all the plug ins but then the problem got worse. Then I uninstalled Mozilla using the control panel uninstall feature, then went into the program files and made sure they were all gone. Then I went into IE and reinstalled Firefox. When finished I opened the profile folder of the new install, and the profile folder I had saved; I went down the entire list inside the old backup profile and copied and pasted each one into the new profile folder, then closed Firefox. Reopened Firefox, and there were still no bookmarks. So I used the FEBE 7.3 backup, and it did not work the way the instructions said it would. The instructions said that once you designated the correct backup profile and the new profile, it would take just a couple of minutes. Well, an hour and a half later the progress bar was still going. It seemed that all of the information had been transferred because now both folders had the same number and size of items, but the instructions said to wait until the window comes up that says it is finished. Since it was now 1:00 AM (I had started this process at 10:30 PM) and I was falling asleep, I shut down the computer. This morning I opened Firefox again only to find no bookmarks. So I did a full system recovery going back three days ago in the hope of undoing any damage I had done, but again Firefox did not have my bookmarks and another attempt at copying and pasting the saved profile folder had the same results. The new post-recovery Firefox program also did not have the FEBE program in it, so I don't know if it will work if I install the latest version and then try the restore. I'm trying it right now but the "profile restore in progress" has been going for 20 minutes so far and shows no sign of finishing any time soon. I still have the last three FEBE backups and the a copy of the old profile folder, but neither of them is doing me any good. I am desperate and I need your help.
Pfw51

Re: Lost all my bookmarks after System Restore

Postby Pfw51 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:57 am

Progress report: Thirty minutes in now and the action bar is still moving. I checked in the Firefox program and the profile folder IS being built, and it reached 11.6 MB in just a few minutes. But it has remained at 11.6 MB since then, like its just running for no reason other than to run... its not adding any content. That's the same thing that happened last night. The process was briefly interrupted by a window that said the "script had stopped working", so I cleared it out and the bar started moving again. I did go into the Firefox options and make sure script was enabled, so that's not the problem.
Pfw51

Re: Lost all my bookmarks after System Restore

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue May 28, 2013 12:36 pm

What versions of FEBE and Firefox are you currently using? In your FEBE backup destination folder, do you have any files that look like bookmarks{default}.json or bookmarks{default}.html? If so, you can use FEBE to restore either one of those files (no need to restore both, it will only overwrite the other restore. The .html file is preferred as it contains favicons where the .json does not.).

Another solution would be to copy/paste the places.sqlite file into your new profile folder. It contains bookmarks, history and some other items. This file would be found inside your profileFx4{default).fbu backup file. You can open it with any windows zip utility (renaming it from .fbu to .zip if necessary).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Windows 7 issues