Options page larger than desktop

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Options page larger than desktop

Postby talonts » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:47 pm

My FEBE crapped out on me and stopped backing things up, so I updated to 8.6 (win7x64). As I was verifying all options (User Defined Backups were hosed, pulled dated from old json file), my Options window was fully accessible at the start, but after multiple times of closing out the Options to save them, and re-opening them, the window got bigger - the OK button was off the bottom of the screen. Then to make matters worse, the next time I opened Options, the OK button was now visible at the bottom, but the window was so large that the top Menu portion was completely off-screen, so I can't grab it and move it down.

What file can I modify to shrink the Options window so it is usable again? Currently, I can do NOTHING with the Options.
talonts

Re: Options page larger than desktop

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Firefox is supposed to remember the size and position of FEBE's options window each time it is closed. But I've also noticed that with the new Fx versions, many of my option windows seem to grow each time I open them. If they get too big to show on the screen, you can temporary increase your monitor's screen resolution to show the full window and drag/drop the corner of the option window to resize it. Just change it back when you're done and you should be good for awhile.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Enlarging the res is not possible, I'm already maxed out on the res on this MBP.

Any other ideas?
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Try right-clicking on an empty spot on the taskbar and choosing Cascade windows.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks, that worked to a point. It at least allowed me to access the title bar, so I could Maximize it - Size would not work, FF wouldn't allow dragging the window to resize it either. It would be nice to figure out where in FF the window size is set, so I could edit it, but I unfortunately do not have time right now (getting ready for a trip, which is why I wanted to make sure to get a good FEBE backup to transfer everything to other machines).

I imported my old settings, and tried to import my User defined backups after that, but they wouldn't take (maybe they are already in the old Export? But when I try to Edit them after the Import, they don't show).

Not sure what to do at this point - would removing FEBE entirely, adding it back in, and Importing the old settings be advised?
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Well, there is another way but it may be a little intimidating if you haven't done it before. Fx stores all the information about (including, but not limited to) window sizes and positions in a file named xulstore.json located in your profile folder.

If you edit that file (with Fx closed) with a plain text editor, you can changed the remembered size of the FEBE Options window. Search the file for the text
Code: Select all
"chrome://febe/content/settings/febeOptions.xul"

In that line will be something similar to
:{"febeOptionsID":{"screenX":"411","screenY":"0","lastSelected":"febeWherePaneTitleID","width":"772","height":"753"}}

Change the values of "width" and "height" to something reasonable, say "700" for both. Save the file and re-open Fx and FEBE Options. The window should be viewable. If you cannot see it at all, change the "screenX" to "400" and "screenY" to "0".

... would removing FEBE entirely, adding it back in, and Importing the old settings be advised?

If you have a file named febeUserDefinedBuData.json that was backed up during a FEBE selective backup, you could simply copy that file (again with Fx closed) to your profile folder. That file contains your itemized user-defined backup information.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks, that did the trick, though the syntax was a little different:

"chrome://febe/content/settings/febeOptions.xul":{"febeOptionsID":{"screenY":"25","lastSelected":"febeWhatPaneTitleID","screenX":"25","width":"761","height":"978"}},"

My res is 1280x800, so dropping it to 700/700 got it small enough.

I already have the user bu json in the profile dir. It is backing them up, but they are not showing in the Options GUI. Or at least, they are not showing MOST of the time. On a rare occasion, they'll show in the dropdown. And often when I click Edit on user defined, it will change the "Change/View an item" text next to the buttons to "undefined". Other times the dropdown box just won't do anything.

Also, when I choose the What to Back up tab, it shows Selective as selected, rather than Alternate, which is what I have it set for. Yet the backups ARE alternating (I run Selective and Full Profile).

And now after closing and opening the Options window just 3 times, it is already too large again. <sigh> Someone at Mozilla needs a Nerf bat upside the head. Or something harder.
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Do you happen to have the Toggle Development Profile Prefs installed/enabled? I was doing some debugging and discovered that extension breaks FEBE.

If not, see this post.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:15 pm

I do not have that extension installed. As for the other prefs, only dom.report_all_js_exceptions was able to be reset. I'll restart FF and hope...
talonts

Postby talonts » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:59 pm

That may have done it. I shut down FF, reset the Options window size, and started FF, and it seems that the options are coming up properly. I'll note if it fails again, but looking good so far.

Thanks for the help!
talonts

Postby talonts » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:27 am

Argh, no luck. The "undefined" issue and backups showing as Selective are back with the latest FF update.

I really hate how FF developers don't even TRY to not break things at each update.
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:42 pm

The next step is to see if another extension is causing a conflict. I've got a new extension called FECT that does just that. Why don't you give it a try and see if it finds anything.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby talonts » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:41 am

OK, I've got it loaded, and I pulled up the Options for FEBE, then went to User-defined backups, clicked Edit, and got the undefined again. If FECT was supposed to do anything obvious to me, it did not.
talonts

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:57 pm

FECT works by running iterations of a browser session with different configurations of enabled/disabled extensions each time.

To start a session, select "Start a new session" from the FECT menu and choose a target extension (i.e., 'FEBE'). After FECT restarts Firefox, you can select "Continue with next iteration". Each time, Firefox will be restarted with the new configuration. When you are done, select "End current session" and FECT will reset Firefox to the way it was before the session was started.

After first installing FECT, you should place the FECT icon on on of your toolbars for easy access (right-click on the toolbar, select 'Customize...' then drag/drop the icon to somewhere appropriate). More information here.

In your case, you would start a FECT session then open FEBE options to see if either 'Alternate' is properly selected or if you have 'undefined' in the text of the user-defined backup window. If FEBE options works properly, start the next FECT iteration and select 'Yes' for 'Did this configuration resolve the conflict?', or 'No' otherwise. You continue through the iterations until FECT either announces that it found (or could not find) a conflicting extension.

If you don't feel comfortable using a live profile, just create a new one with FEBE > Restore profile and use that one for troubleshooting. That way you don't have to complete the troubleshooting all in one session, but when you have the time. Use the 'Create desktop shortcut to this profile' option in the 'Create new profile' window.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby MadMudMob » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it almost solves my issue.
I am having the same problem where the FEBE Options page is too large and I can only see the blank bottom half and the Okay button. I don't have the confidence or techy knowledge to start adding stuff and I have used the compatibility extension with no joy but I do have Stylish installed. There is no bigger I can go on screen resolution so I'd like to ask please ...
Is there a way that an UserStyle could be created to do the same thing? (Not that I would know where to start but someone here might?).
Mud is good! :)
MadMudMob

Next

Return to Windows 7 issues