FEBE issues

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

FEBE issues

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:55 pm

I received your email today requesting that preferences be cleared with the new upgrade. When I tried to do that, I discovered the following:
* I do not have any backups since end of September (set for a weekly backup).
* My newest backups no longer reside in dated folders.
* When I tried to access the options from the toolbar, FEBE was VERY slow (we are talking minutes here).
* It was also slow to take a quick backup.
* I set the options to take a scheduled backup, but no backup was ever taken.

I am using FF 42.0 and FEBE version 8.8.

This is the results of the debug console

JQMIGRATE: Logging is active common-min.e1c7139bfa50.js:6:5685
" _.-~-.
7'' Q..\
_7 (_
_7 _/ _q. /
_7 . ___ /VVvv-'_ .
7/ / /~- \_\\ '-._ .-' / //
./ ( /-~-/||'=.__ '::. '-~'' { ___ / // ./{
V V-~-~| || __''_ ':::. ''~-~.___.-'' _/ // / {_ / { /
VV/-~-~-|/ \ .'__'. '. ':: _ _ _ ''.
/ /~~~~||VVV/ / \ ) \ _ __ ___ ___ ___(_) | | __ _ .::'
/ (~-~-~\\.-' / \' \::::. | '_ ` _ \ / _ \_ / | | |/ _` | :::'
/..\ /..\__/ ' '::: | | | | | | (_) / /| | | | (_| | ::'
vVVv vVVv ': |_| |_| |_|\___/___|_|_|_|\__,_| ''

Hi there, nice to meet you!

Interested in having a direct impact on hundreds of millions of users? Join
Mozilla, and become part of a global community that’s helping to build a
brighter future for the Web.

Visit https://careers.mozilla.org to learn about our current job openings.
Visit https://www.mozilla.org/contribute for more ways to get involved and
help support Mozilla.

---

If you don't want to see this message next time, run this JS statement:

Tabzilla.disableEasterEgg()
" tabzilla.js:614:21
A call to document.write() from an asynchronously-loaded external script was ignored. px:1:0
A call to document.write() from an asynchronously-loaded external script was ignored. px:2:0
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://m.addthis.com/live/red_lojson/10 ... pu53&pfm=0. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' does not match '*'). <unknown>
SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<' script.js:1:0
TypeError: can't access dead object popup.xml:326:17
FEBE: *** FEBE Error Console ***
To hide, uncheck FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Advanced preferences > FEBE debug mode
To search for FEBE errors, type 'febe' into the search box (no quotes).
To copy messages (to post in the support forum) right-click and select 'Copy'.
FEBE: *** FEBE Error Console ***
To hide, uncheck FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Advanced preferences > FEBE debug mode
To search for FEBE errors, type 'febe' into the search box (no quotes).
To copy messages (to post in the support forum) right-click and select 'Copy'. febe.js:486:2
Handler function NM__httpResponseExaminer threw an exception: TypeError: aChannel.loadInfo is null
Stack: NetworkMonitor.prototype._createNetworkEvent@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/toolkit ... r.js:843:1
NM__httpResponseExaminer@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/toolkit ... .js:637:26
makeInfallible/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/DevToolsUtils.js:83:14
FEBE.febeIconToDataURL@chrome://febe/content/febe.js:1187:16
FEBE.febeGetAddonList@chrome://febe/content/febe.js:872:19
document.onreadystatechange@chrome://febe/content/febe.js:44:4
Line: 843, column: 1 DevToolsUtils.js:59:0
Handler function NM_observeActivity threw an exception: TypeError: aChannel.loadInfo is null
Stack: NetworkMonitor.prototype._createNetworkEvent@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/toolkit ... r.js:843:1
NM__onRequestHeader@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/toolkit ... r.js:906:1
NM_observeActivity@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/toolkit ... r.js:682:7
makeInfallible/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/devtools/DevToolsUtils.js:83:14
FEBE.febeIconToDataURL@chrome://febe/content/febe.js:1187:16
FEBE.febeGetAddonList@chrome://febe/content/febe.js:872:19
document.onreadystatechange@chrome://febe/content/febe.js:44:4
Line: 843, column: 1
ronfilipek

Re: FEBE issues

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:17 pm

What type of backups are you attempting (full profile, selective)? If selective, what parts are checked (extensions, themes, bookmarks, etc.)?

* My newest backups no longer reside in dated folders.

Do you have FEBE Options > Where to backup > Use timestamped directories checked?

* When I tried to access the options from the toolbar, FEBE was VERY slow (we are talking minutes here).
* It was also slow to take a quick backup.

Yes ... FEBE has been running slower and slower with each Fx release. I have no idea why, but it has something to do with Firefox ... nothing has changed in FEBE since the last update on May 17, 2015 (except, of course, the just released FEBE v8.8 )

* I set the options to take a scheduled backup, but no backup was ever taken.

Can you put FEBE in debug mode (FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Advanced preferences > FEBE debug mode), set a scheduled backup for five minutes from now and watch it? (Please remember to filter the error console for febe so only the pertinent messages are copied to your reply. The error log you posted before contained errors not related to FEBE and it's hard to sift through them.)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:19 pm

* I am using the both option. By the way, I clicked the toolbar for Tools>FEBE>Options at 6:46:22 and the options page came up at 6:49:33 fully 3 minutes later. This seems to be typical of all the screens.
* I do have the timestamped folder option set.
* I set the next backup for 7:45pm. It finally finished at 8:11 pm. I got messages that two extensions could not be found and put them on the ignore list. Is there any way to remove them since they are not active?

Here are the console messages.

FEBE: <style>color:purple; font-size:12px;</style>The next scheduled backup will occur on Tue Nov 17 2015 19:45:00 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Timestamp: 11/17/2015 8:09:09 PM
Error: moz-nullprincipal:{88a23149-a053-48c6-bd0f-e3b8d6140607} : Unable to run script because scripts are blocked internally.

Warning: Expected a percentage but found ','. Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Line: 0, Column: 47
Source Code:
-moz-linear-gradient(rgba(255,255,255,.7),rgba(,.5),rgb()),-moz-linear-gradient(rgb(),rgb())

Warning: Expected a percentage but found ','. Error in parsing value for 'background-image'. Declaration dropped.
Source Code:
-moz-linear-gradient(rgba(255,255,255,.7),rgba(,.5),rgb()),-moz-linear-gradient(rgb(),rgb())

Timestamp: 11/17/2015 8:09:18 PM
Source Code:

This message and the others which follow are similar and may have come from when I went to the forum to enter the results.

Timestamp: 11/17/2015 8:10:55 PM
Warning: Unknown property 'voice-family'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: style.php?id=1&lang=en
Line: 2704, Column: 13
Source Code:
voice-family: "\"}\"";

Warning: Unknown property 'voice-family'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 2705, Column: 13
Source Code:
voice-family: inherit;

Warning: Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped.
Line: 2790, Column: 5
Source Code:
zoom: 1;
ronfilipek

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:40 pm

This seems to be typical of all the screens.

All FEBE screens or all extension screens?

Try toggling FEBE Options > How to backup > Run asynchronously . In theory, asynchronous backups should appear quicker (actually asynchronous and synchronous backups take about the same amount of time, but the results page is displayed sooner in asynchronous).

Three minutes is a long time to wait for the options window to appear. On my machine, it takes about 15 seconds which I thought was a long time. Maybe your installation has some other issues. Have you considered starting fresh with a new profile? I can step you through it. It involves creating a new, blank profile and restoring your items individually.

Unfortunately, the errors you posted do not mention specifics about which file in FEBE (i.e., febe.js) and the line number where the error occurred, so trying to debug it is pretty much impossible.

And yes, you probably should delete those two extensions mentioned during the backup if you aren't using them. Go to Tools > Add-ons and click the 'Remove' button.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:38 pm

When you say restoring items individually, I have a pretty clean installation, only three extensions, but a number of plugins. would I be able to use the just completed FEBE backup to reinstall the extensions and bookmarks?

If so, how would I start a new profile?

Ron
ronfilipek

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

One other suggestion. Does this board send a notification when a post is updated. I have received any, I am just logging in and checking the status of the request. A notification of a reply would be a great feature.

Ron
ronfilipek

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:16 pm

... would I be able to use the just completed FEBE backup to reinstall the extensions and bookmarks?

Yes, whether you have three or thirty extensions, the process would be similar.

If so, how would I start a new profile?

I assume you are using Windows. If that is the case, open FEBE > Restore profile > Create new profile, enter a name for the profile (maybe 'New profile' or 'Test profile'), check the Create desktop shortcut and click 'Create'. You don't want to actually restore a profile at this point, so just exit the window. Close Fx, open the newly created profile from the desktop icon, then install FEBE. Next use FEBE to restore your extensions, bookmarks, and whatever else you want to keep. (Before you start restoring, notice if it still takes a long time to open FEBE options. If it opens immediately then we know you had some bloat in the old profile.)

Does this board send a notification when a post is updated.

Yes, this forum software is supposed to sent email notification of new replies. Sometimes it doesn't work, and I don't know why.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 am

I just set up a new PC with windows 10. (MY old one with windows 7 died). I installed a fresh copy of firefox and FEBE. I am sitting here watching the backup. It has been about 10 minutes now and it says it is 20% done. I have very few extensions, but the backup on each extension is VERY slow. Is this an issue that I am experiencing or is it a broader issue. Any suggestions?
ronfilipek

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:42 am

Quick update. I got a message that it could not find Norton identity Safe xpi 3 times. I hit the skip button three times also. Finally, it seemed to execute better. I am using Norton from Xfinity, so the install might have come from the software.

Questions:
Why did it query me three times for the same xpi?
Could the Norton install be the cause of the issue?
I am not using that add on, is there a way to remove the product so the addon is checked by FEBE?
ronfilipek

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:41 pm

You can try one of two things. You can have FEBE ignore the Norton extension (FEBE Options > What to backup > Ignore list) or simply remove the extension through the Add-on Manager (about:config).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ronfilipek » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks I will give it a try and see if the timing improves.
ronfilipek

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:42 am

My machine just completed another backup and I am enclosing the results page. It indicates that the backup took 428 seconds. Since I skip the extensions it cannot find and since I seem to have some moderate items to back up, is there any thought why it takes such a long time?

Thanks

Ron
Attachments
Capture.PNG
ronfilipek

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:40 pm

I see your backup type is 'Both'. That means your full profile is also getting backed up. What is the size of your profile backup file (it's named something like profileFx42.0(FEBE8.8.1){Chuck}.fbu). If it is very large (say more than about 75mb or so) then it might be backing up your cache and phishing DB. See if the FEBE Options > How to backup > Ignore cache and phishing DB is checked. If it is, uncheck it.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ronfilipek » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:13 pm

The backup file is 10.54 mb.
ronfilipek

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Is there anything else in your backup destination directory that is particularly large? When you open your backup destination directory with Windows explorer, does it take some time to open? Do all your backups take as long, or is this something that happened only once?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Windows 7 issues