Restoring Missing Files

Problems and experiences with my extensions on the Windows 7 platform.

Restoring Missing Files

Postby joshua88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm

I suggest a Windows 10 Issues topic.

I have Win10 and FEBE worked almost better than expected, but I found several issues with which I would appreciate help.

I would like to create a new folder and start a new FEBE backups folder.

As I start to run backup, the first message pops up to ask me if I want to skip a "missed" file or cancel backup.
What I would prefer to do is make a list of all the missing files, then try to find them in my flash drive. After restoring all missing files, then I would like to run a backup.
The way it's set up now, I have to copy each missing file and because I don't know how many are missing, I have no idea how long it will take.
+++++
Also - I'm trying to restore icons to bookmarks. I understand that JSON doesn't save the images and HTML doesn't save something else. I want any images from prior bookmarks restored. I think I've run "restore bookmarks" at least three times already, and so far I'm not having any luck.

Re: dictionary: Can I restore from several backup files until I've restored as much of the original profile as possible? I am asked about duplicate files, of course.
Re: Places.sqlite: I am missing many remembered websites - the ones I use a thousand times a week. Same question.

Re additional files: which I'm going to get wrong w/specifics, there's a webappstore.json and two webappstores with different extensions. Should (or shouldn't) I restore all extensions to get the fullest restoration of my profile?

Look forward to trying your program that does a full restore in one fell swoop, although I enjoy the one at a time aspect.

Love this add-on.
Thank you.
joshua88

Re: Restoring Missing Files

Postby joshua88 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Testing "Notify" me.
joshua88

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:27 pm

joshua88 wrote:I would like to create a new folder and start a new FEBE backups folder.

You can specify a new backup destination directory in FEBE Options > Where to backup.

As I start to run backup, the first message pops up to ask me if I want to skip a "missed" file or cancel backup.
What I would prefer to do is make a list of all the missing files, then try to find them in my flash drive. After restoring all missing files, then I would like to run a backup.
The way it's set up now, I have to copy each missing file and because I don't know how many are missing, I have no idea how long it will take.

Are you talking about missing extensions? The message that displays reads:

Code: Select all
Could not find location of (missing extension).xpi.  Item skipped.

To have FEBE ignore this item during backup, go to FEBE Options > What to backup > Ignore list (or click 'Add to ignore list now').

Click 'OK' to skip and continue with backup, 'Cancel' to abort.   

You don't have to cancel the backup at this point. You can simply copy the name of the missing extension and paste it into some text document (the 'Copy to clipboard' button works well for this), and then click 'OK'. Any other missing items will be alerted in quick succession so you can get them all very quickly. At the end of the backup, you can find/replace all the missing items and run another backup.

Also - I'm trying to restore icons to bookmarks. I understand that JSON doesn't save the images and HTML doesn't save something else. I want any images from prior bookmarks restored. I think I've run "restore bookmarks" at least three times already, and so far I'm not having any luck.

It is best to use the HTML bookmarks backup. It will remember the favicons. If I remember correctly, the HTML backup doesn't store bookmark annotations. But to be honest, I don't use them and don't really even know what they are. In any event, the places.sqlite file (which is contained in a FEBE full profile backup) does contain all bookmark information.

Re: dictionary: Can I restore from several backup files until I've restored as much of the original profile as possible? I am asked about duplicate files, of course.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. You can restore from as many backup files as you like, but each restore overwrites the existing one.

Re: Places.sqlite: I am missing many remembered websites - the ones I use a thousand times a week. Same question.

Again, I'm unsure what you mean by "missing many remembered websites". Are you talking about bookmarks specifically? Or possibly your browsing history? Places.sqlite does, indeed, store all information about annotations, bookmarks, favorite icons, input history, keywords, and browsing history.

Re additional files: which I'm going to get wrong w/specifics, there's a webappstore.json and two webappstores with different extensions. Should (or shouldn't) I restore all extensions to get the fullest restoration of my profile?

I don't know about a file named "webappstore.json", but there is a file named webappsstore.sqlite that contains local storage (a higher quantity database compared to cookies). Yes, I would suggest you restore that file into any new profile you create.

Look forward to trying your program that does a full restore in one fell swoop, although I enjoy the one at a time aspect.

Sometimes you need to perform a full profile restore just to be sure you get everything you need for Fx to work. But other times it is more efficient to restore only the portions of the profile you need without overwriting other, valid files with older data. That's why FEBE offers both options.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby joshua88 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:33 pm

The first sentence was to introduce the entire paragraph, as some people don't read the subject line.

Yes, missing extensions.
I couldn't copy the .xpi extensions. As it turned out, there were only three missing files and none,as far as I know, are important. (I wrote them down.) As I kept using FEBE, I got better, so I know better what to expect.

Next time, I"ll save only HTML. Both extensions are checked by default.
So whether I restore using a 6/2 full backup or pull out just the 6/2 places.sqlite, I should get the same result?
I noticed before the last attempt that Firefox saved a corrupted file - (not FEBE) - but "corrupted" didn't make it onto the description, so when I chose the larger file, I could very well have screwed up bookmarks.
When I restored after the corrupted file, I still don't have icons.

Wrote that last part wrong. I was asking about overlaying - or overwriting - files. Each time I do it, I am asked if I want to overwrite or create new (regardless of the language, you understand what I mean). Are you saying that it only overwrites? I wasn't sure if you could keep adding to files to build it back to health, if it was necessary.

Sorry. remembered websites is Browser History. That's what I'm having the most frustration with. Even if I go back to November 2015 or January 2016, I use the same websites many times during the course of a day. I'm not having any luck restoring that, either. I would almost restore using any earlier FEBE file, but then I'd have to do a password restore on top of any version to keep it current. That is actually a GOOD idea. What do YOU think?

I told you I would likely get it wrong, but I believe I had three "webappstore" files. The question is if I have three different extensions for webappstore, (or any named file), is it necessary that I replace all of them three extensions or is everything in the .sqlite file? I was following Firefox instructions and I guess they highlight the most important.

I use the options list to restore.

Thank you.
joshua88

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:56 pm

So whether I restore using a 6/2 full backup or pull out just the 6/2 places.sqlite, I should get the same result?

Yes, at least as far as bookmarks and browser history goes. But a full profile restore will overwrite everything, not just places.sqlite.

When I restored after the corrupted file, I still don't have icons.

That's unfortunate, but at least the favicons should update themselves whenever you visit that page.

Are you saying that it only overwrites? I wasn't sure if you could keep adding to files to build it back to health, if it was necessary.

Most of the restore functions overwrite (removing the existing file(s) and create new ones). The exceptions are bookmark restoration. You are given a choice of "Merge" (add to existing) or "Overwrite" (delete existing and create new).

I would almost restore using any earlier FEBE file, but then I'd have to do a password restore on top of any version to keep it current. That is actually a GOOD idea. What do YOU think?

Passwords are not stored in the same file as history is, so restoring history would not affect your username/password information (that is backed up separately). But note that restoring history can sometimes take quite awhile (depending on how many entries you have). It is not uncommon to have to wait several minutes for browser history to restore.

The question is if I have three different extensions for webappstore, (or any named file), is it necessary that I replace all of them three extensions or is everything in the .sqlite file?

FEBE does not deal with the webappsstore.* files specifically and are only backed up during a full profile backup. But as with most sqlite files, only the ones with a .sqlite extension are important. The ones ending in .sqlite-wal and other file extensions should (in theory) only exists when Fx is open and are removed when Fx closes. You do not need to copy them over to a new profile.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby joshua88 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:25 pm

Of course, but I use only a handful of bookmarks for visiting pages. I mostly added them so that I could drag the favicons.

I am glad that you mentioned overwrite, because if I didn't keep seeing it, I would have assumed that all options are "merge" or "overwrite." I would find out once the option is presented, of course, but I'm trying to think this through before acting. I do not normally have to restore more than once.

O, it didn't sink in. Of course. the two key files. (I didn't use the Refresh FF option for a decade and now I have to several times a year.)

Thank you for the heads up regarding seconds or minutes.

I understand that webappstore is not yours - I had the FF Show Folder open against my Thumb Drive to transfer files/folders/extensions. I queried you on Firefox data, regardless of the source, hence writing "any named file" in parentheses. These details are Irrelevant to you, but I wasn't thinking.
If I knew what an .sqlite file really was, I probably would not ask about it.

You are excellent with the speed and clarity of your responses.
Thank you.
joshua88

Return to Windows 7 issues