Comments on TIRE v1.0

Discussion and bug reporting for the Text Input Recovery Extension

Comments on TIRE v1.0

Postby AncientWisdom » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for continuing work on this extension!

The following has been written as a stream of consciousness while testing the extension. I have left it as such because I think it provides valuable information about how the extension as seen/understood by a new user. Hopefully it will provide more value than confusion.

A few points:
1. From a user experience perspective I find it very confusing that there is no indication on a page whether the fields on the page have saved values
2. Show TIRE button option - only while hovering - At the moment on this page (POST A NEW TOPIC) it is seems to work a little bit weirdly to fields that are in focus, especially the subject field (blinks in and out while hovering and moving towards it).
3. I find the Show Tooltip incredibly invaluable, mainly because it allows me to see the saved value for the field. Maybe separate the option into two - Display saved value, and Display debug information ?
4. Still missing the option to save multiple sets of data for the same page. Lazarus was really great at this! Every time you clicked the icon on a field it will display a dropdown of all the sets, hovering over a set would prefill all the fields (giving you an indication of what was saved so you can select the right field). You can try it out yourself by installing the following extension that still mostly works -https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lazarus-form-recovery-pat/djffgnjhndjebbbgmkibfgjfegffmcpm
5. Adding the current domain (on this page) to Whitelist has removed all extension data and reset it to default (!!!). Similar thing happened when adding gmail domain to blacklist - except the list of whitelist domains hasn't been cleared.
As an aside it is unclear to me what whitelisting a page/domain is meant to do???
6. Once this domain has been whitelisted, no field values has been saved
7. No badges are displayed for me (aside from N/A), e.g. either on the options page or on this page where the domain is whitelisted
8. All the options to control white/blacklisted pages or domains are disabled for me
9. Even though I blacklisted gmail.com, the extension still works on the page including highlighting the search field and filling saved data
10. I just realised Whitelisted pages/domains: option was set to All (by default). I think it should be set to All Except Blacklisted by default. In the dropdown when right clicking the extension options, the values should depend on what option is selected... I.e. if "All" is selected then don't allow to white/blacklist at all. If "All Except Blacklisted" then only show the blacklisting options. And if "Individual" then only show the whitelisting options.
11. A neat backlog item would be a setup wizard when first installing the extension

Overall I think great progress but still not ready for prime time.
AncientWisdom

Re: Comments on TIRE v1.0

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you! This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. I'll get to work addressing the issues and report back here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby AncientWisdom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:15 pm

No worries :-)
AncientWisdom

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:31 pm

I have a new version ready for testing. Most of the issues you noted have been fixed (I hope) with the exception of item (4)
4. Still missing the option to save multiple sets of data for the same page. Lazarus was really great at this! Every time you clicked the icon on a field it will display a dropdown of all the sets, hovering over a set would prefill all the fields (giving you an indication of what was saved so you can select the right field).

I'm not really sure if this feature should be implemented. The database could get unruly very quickly. Consider the scenario of typing a message in a forum such as this one. Let's say you spend 10 minutes composing a message at a leisurely typing pace of 30 words/minute and eventually ended up with 250 words. During that 10 minutes, TIRE will have scanned the page 120 times (once every five seconds). If TIRE found changes in only half of those scans, it would still have written 60 entries to the database, each entry potentially containing up to 250 words. If TIRE had the ability to offer a choice of which of these entries to paste, the list alone would have 60 items to choose from. I think that only the last change should be saved as that is probably the one that is most important.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby AncientWisdom » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm

You should really take Lazarus for a spin, it somehow got around this and only displayed unique entries.
AncientWisdom

Return to TIRE