Copying passwords to other PC's

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

Copying passwords to other PC's

Postby ubique0712 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:29 am

I have always loved the old Paste Email and was really pleased when the Paste Email Plus was created as I always wanted more slots than was available with the Vanilla version.

However I use three PCs and would love a way to copy all the data from my main PC and transfer to the others. Is there a way to copy the details onto a memory stick and paste in the other PCs or is there already a way to sync but I have missed it??

Anyway thank you for a great product and all your efforts.

Regards

ubique0712
ubique0712

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 pm

Yes. Just copy the file profile/pasteemail.dat to the profile computer on the other computers.

(Sorry for the late reply. Somehow your post went unnoticed.)
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ubique0712 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks Chuck! Much appreciated :D
ubique0712

Postby ubique0712 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi Chuck. Last time when you told me how to do this I still couldn't figure it out. I cant find the profile. Can you please tell me in layman's terms? Sorry to be a pain.

I wish FEBE would back these up then it would be easier. Is that a future possibility?

Thank you :D
ubique0712

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:59 am

Here's an easy method to find your profile folder;
  • Copy the following code (highlight the code and press CTRL-C). It is one very long line ending in "path"—make sure that you get all of it:
    Code: Select all
    Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].getService( Components.interfaces.nsIProperties).get("ProfD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile).path
  • Click Tools > Error Console.
  • Paste the code in the field near the top (CTRL-V).
  • Click the Evaluate button. The console should display the location of the profile that is currently in use. If you don't see it, make sure you have the "All" button pushed.

FEBE can backup your Paste Email Plus data using User-defined backups in FEBE Options. Create a new entry using profile path as determined above/pasteemail.dat as the Source.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby carls » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Excuse me for lurking here, but when I enter:

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].getService(components.interfaces.nsIProperties).get("ProfD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile).path

I get an error message. Would you please check to see why I get:

Error: components is not defined
Source File: javascript:%20Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"].getService(components.interfaces.nsIProperties).get("ProfD",%20Components.interfaces.nsIFile).path
Line: 1

Any help much appreciated (needed!). <g>

Carls
carls

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:14 pm

The word components should be Components (with a capital 'C'). Try copy/pasting as javaScript is very case sensitive.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby carls » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:15 pm

Many thanks. Slip of the cey.
carls

Re: Copying passwords to other PC's

Postby ubique0712 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Hi Chuck, I cant seem to do this anymore since I moved over to Windows 7 Ultimate? Can help out please.

Thank you :D
ubique0712

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:33 pm

What happens when you try? Since this is the Paste Email forum (as opposed to the FEBE forum) I assume you are talking about passwords saved as pastetext (as opposed to usernames/passwords backed up). If you are using Paste Email Plus, you only need to copy the pasteemailplus.json file from your profile folder to the profile folder on the other machine.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ubique0712 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm using Flock, maybe that's why? When I put the appdata stuff nothing shows up. :(
ubique0712

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Sorry, but I don't support Flock at this time. Other developers have ported some of my extensions to Flock but I don't support them ... just supporting Firefox can be overwhelming at times. :wink:
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby underdegun » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:27 am

Any possibility of an Import/Export feature for the pasteemail.dat file in the future?
underdegun

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 pm

The file pasteemail.dat can simply be copied from one Fx profile directory to another to import the data into that installation.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus