Feature Suggestions

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

Feature Suggestions

Postby moonklash » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:02 am

Hi there,

I've only been using this for a day and I love this extension, I'm using it as an address book on a web based email system at work that doesn't have an address book capability built in.

I have two feature suggestions that would make this even better.

1) The ability to group items into a sub menu. At the moment I go:
* Right click
* Paste Email Plus
* I then have a long list of items. If I could create folders (in my case, this would be by company name) and store multiple entries in each folder, then it'd be really easy to organise.

2) The ability to import/export my entries to a CSV or Excel file.
It'd be great if you could export all the entries and import them elsewhere. Even better still, if I can export all of the addresses from my address book, and import them into Paste Email Plus, it'd save a lot of time having to manually enter every address.

This is a really great extension and is going to get a lot of use! The above aren't intended as criticisms, just a few thoughts on how it could be made even better :)
moonklash

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:58 am

I toyed with the idea of adding a "Category" label when I first wrote Paste Email Plus. I didn't include it at the time because I thought it might unnecessarily complicate the UI. But if you and other users think it would be valuable, I think I'll re-consider.

As for the exporting, how do you think I should handle encrypted items, pastetext that contains markup, and metatag data? Encryption allows for greater security and exporting unencrypted data would nullify this.

Importing CSV data should be easy (label, pastetext), but the user would have to fix-up the imported items afterward (assigning to categories, encrypting, etc.).
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Kalevi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:59 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:-- if you and other users think it would be valuable, I think I'll re-consider.

Please do! I don't think it would be confusing at all to have the option of adding multiple entries under the same label. The way that the stored pastetexts are presented in Options already gives you an idea of what the folder system would look like. It would be amazing to be able to keep the paste text list compact by collecting entries under category labels.
Kalevi

Postby moonklash » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 am

cbaker_admin wrote:I toyed with the idea of adding a "Category" label when I first wrote Paste Email Plus. I didn't include it at the time because I thought it might unnecessarily complicate the UI. But if you and other users think it would be valuable, I think I'll re-consider.

As for the exporting, how do you think I should handle encrypted items, pastetext that contains markup, and metatag data? Encryption allows for greater security and exporting unencrypted data would nullify this.

Importing CSV data should be easy (label, pastetext), but the user would have to fix-up the imported items afterward (assigning to categories, encrypting, etc.).

Hi Chuck, sorry about the delay in getting back to you, just been a little busy with work :(

I certainly think the category field would certainly be useful, and whilst the settings menu would have a few extra options it'd really enhance the actual using of the extension on a daily basis.

Hmmmmm good question about the encryption, and not something I'm sure I would know how to answer. I just think this is a great tool, but using it on several different machines means that without an import/export option it'd take a long time to re-type everything on each new computer. And if we could import data from (for example) a CSV file, it'd really easy to export all of your email addresses from (say) Outlook and import it into the extension, which would effectively become a quick and easy address book.

I don't know about the import/export of HTML or passwords, but then I'm also not using the tool for that.
moonklash

Postby vapor » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 am

Export would be nice, but what about a sync function between machines?
vapor

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35 am

You can sync Paste Email Plus data between computers by simply copying the pasteemailplus.dat file between them. It is located in your profile folder.

The same holds true for Paste Email Original but uses the pasteemail.dat file instead. You can also directly import PE data into PE+ by using the function in PE+ options.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Reporter » Tue May 26, 2009 10:03 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:I toyed with the idea of adding a "Category" label when I first wrote Paste Email Plus. I didn't include it at the time because I thought it might unnecessarily complicate the UI. But if you and other users think it would be valuable, I think I'll re-consider.

+2.
Support!
Useful feature! :)
Reporter

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus