Chuck, did I offend you?

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

Postby rpesq » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am

Another issue -- try to customize your toolbar, and you will see the window that allows you to add or remove toolbar buttons, PEP causes those icons to be all messed up.
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Ok, I've addressed all the issues you've pointed out and then some.

* Added system clipboard option in meta-tags
* Fixed blank entries in options window
* Re-fixed issue with ebay- and gmail-type pages
* Fixed broken toolbar icon in customize window
* Fixed wrong pastetext item in change menu when selecting main item instead of sub-item
* Now can open only one options window at a time
* Other minor bug fixes

pasteemailplus-3.0beta4.xpi
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:03 am

Chuck,

Looking good, and really tweaked it excellent. You do great work.

There is a Bug when editing an entry, though.

You pick your entry, then click 'change item'. You get a box that allows you to edit the code. (While this is not the bug, I would strongly suggest that this box be replaced with the box that you use when you 'Add item', because this current edit box requires the user to hack the \n codes, etc.)

The bug is that when you hack edit your entry, you try to click "save" in the bottom of the dialog box and all you get is status bar warning box about a box being open. It all looks like one dialog box, so it seems logically to choose SAVE to record your edit.

Turns out that you have to click 'change' ~~~ or ~~~ 'cancel' at the TOP of the box to SAVE your edit-- not the 'SAVE' button nor the 'cancel' at the BOTTOM. The top 'cancel' does actually save your edit and exit that dialog box, so that seems like unwanted behavior.

I really think that this is a bug because no one would think to click a top 'cancel' button to ~save~ their edit, especially with the SAVE and CANCEL buttons at the bottom of the dialog box doing nothing but throwing up a warning message. Likewise, the 'change' button was already clicked to edit your entry, so clicking 'change' a second time seems like that would take you back to choosing your entry.

Again, that top cancel button does save your changes even if you did not want them to be saved.

As noted, I might suggest to use the 'Add item' concept when editing, so that the user is not messing with \n stuff. The Add Item box is well designed.
rpesq

Postby rpesq » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Another small bug with beta 4 --

When I changed the behavior for the toolbar button to "Paste the default pastetext", the button does not paste anything. (Yes, I have set a default paste.)

The original Gmail bug seems solved, which is awesome. (have not done any ebay stuff, so have not tried it there.)
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Ok ... here's the latest beta (5). This should made it close to being ready for release :roll:

# Fixed problem with tree items not properly selected after save
# Import items from previous versions completed
# Fixed default paste
# Added tooltip and context menus to pastetext items in toolbar menu
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 am

Hi Chuck,

Working good.

Just sent to you a donation a few minutes ago via paypal. You deserved it.
rpesq

Postby rpesq » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:58 am

Just got an error using it in an ebay selling form:

[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsICommandController.doCommandWithParams]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://pasteemailplus/content/pasteemailplus.js :: pep_paste :: line 203" data: no]

I tracked down the error -- using HTML lists (bullets or numbers) created by the ebay WYSIWYG editor, and it seems as though the extention cannot insert text behind an <li>.

Actually, that is not 100% true -- here is how it works...

Create ebay list using their WYSIWYG editor. Right-click and try to insert something - see error message.

But if you type something behind the bullet, THEN highlight that text, right click and choose some text to insert (thereby replacing whatever you manually typed), it will work.

So, that is how to recreate the situation. Create any type HTML lists (ordered or unordered) using Ebay's SYI form, after the WYSIWYG editor displays the bullet or list number, right-click and try to insert text. See error message.
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Does the standard paste command (ctrl-v) work in this instance? If so, I think I will just add a "compatibility mode" option to PEP that will simply copy the desired pastetext to the clipboard and execute a standard paste. Otherwise I will be forever adding patches for the gmail/eBay-like pages.

The downside of this option is that encrypted text will paste in non-password fields.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 pm

I am 99% sure that a standard paste works.

That said, if I understand your compatibility mode correctly, it would remove the %clipboard% functionality by overwriting whatever you had on the clipboard.

So, if I was choosing I would rather work around the latest bug instead of removing the %clipboard% feature.
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:03 am

I would use the system clipboard as a temporary swap space.
  1. Save clipboard contents (if any)
  2. Place pastetext into clipboard
  3. Paste the pastetext from the clipboard by executing a standard paste command
  4. Replace the original clipboard contents
The %CLIPBOARD% feature would still work as before. Again, the only drawback I can think of would be the pasting of encrypted data into non-password fields. Perhaps I could just disable encrypted pastetext items when using compatibility mode.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:45 am

Ingenious. That approach does sound good.

Anyway, I double-checked a regular ctrl-v paste, and that does work fine with the bullets and ebay's WYSIWYG editor.

I am not familiar with the encrypted text scenario that you mention (I have not had any reason to use that feature).
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:13 am

Ok, let's give this version a try. I haven't tried the eBay scenario (I'm not a regular user of that site) but in theory, it should work. You can select "compatibility mode" from options or the toolbar, statusbar or context menus.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:26 am

Hi Chuck,

No go -- this looks like a firefox bug.

Using the ebay situation as an example:

- if you right-click after the bullet was created, it does NOT work. Similarly, when you right-click and simply use the default FF "paste" command, that will not paste any text from the clipboard either.

- However, if you use the PEP toolbar icon drop-down menu to select your paste-text, it works fine. Similarly, using CTRL-V to paste text from the clipboard also works fine.

So, apparently FF is doing something different when you right-click & use the mouse, or they simply have a bug there.

If this is actually a firefox bug, then you might as well roll back to beta 5 unless you found other issues with it, because beta 5 was solid for me.
rpesq

Postby 50-6-0 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:20 am

Hi,

I have a Problem on all Version from PasteEmailPlus 3. I installed it over the Version 2.1. When i press the Options Button

And all my Emails are not here. When i reinstall Version 2.1 all Emails are back and i can go to the Options.
50-6-0

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:43 am

@rpesq: In the example you used, does the "Compatibility mode" have any effect on how it works? Even if it doesn't, I should probably leave the compatibility option installed in case there are any other quirks mode pages out there that might depend on it.

@50-6-0: All betas only have en-US localization. It appears you have de-DE (German) localized Firefox installed. When PEP 3.0 is ready for release, all translations will be added.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus