Gmail problem (again)

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

Gmail problem (again)

Postby rpesq » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Chuck,

PEP 4.1, Win 7 64bit, latest FF.

Having problem with Gmail again. Making a reply, right click menu, PEP... no signatures are there. Doesn't work from icon in button bar, either. See photo. Try with or w/o compatibility mode.

rpesq

Re: Gmail problem (again)

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Hmmm ... I just tried it with my gmail account and all is fine. Question: Do you have any categories assigned to any of your pastetext items ? I do. I'm currently working on a PEP issue that occurs when no categories have been defined.

As an experiment, try adding a new category. You don't necessarily have to assign any pastetext to it, it just has to exist.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:43 pm

That worked, although I did have 1 category already -- only because I created it back a few months ago when we (you and I) were trying to figure out the Export problem.

I just created a new category and assigned it to one of the existing Sig's. I'll just leave it this way for now and watch for updates. I will check this forum daily in case you need me to try out a few scenarios.
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:08 pm

I will check this forum daily in case you need me to try out a few scenarios.

Thanks. Did you know that you can subscribe to any topic or forum and whenever a new post is added, you will be notified via email? Look at the bottom of any page to see if there is a "Subscribe' checkbox.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:24 pm

It quit working again today, apparently with the 27.0.1 FF update.
rpesq

Postby rpesq » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

In Gmail, if you right-click to use PEP inside the search box at the top of the page, PEP menu shows up correctly. If you right-click inside the Compose-Reply window, it does not (same as my Pic above).
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:59 pm

I've been playing around with it and I think I've figured out what is happening. The text input field must have focus for the PEP menu to appear. If you right-click in the reply box (but there is no blinking cursor showing) the menu will not appear. But if you left-click once in the box (which should show a blinking cursor), the menu does appear.

Can you duplicate the same scenario?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:14 pm

I do not see that behavior. If I click to reply to an email, and only right click in the reply box, the menu is fine today.

The thing is, it is erratic, meaning that it usually works, but occasionally it will go M.I.A. and nothing fixes it (not refreshing the page, not clearing the cache, not relaunching FF, etc).

Today it is working fine, and NOTHING changed except that I may have refreshed the gmail window yesterday, I forget. (I leave Gmail open 24x7, only reloading when FF needs an update or Windows needs to reboot for update).
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm

If it continues to happen, please verify that you do have a blinking cursor in the reply box. If the cursor is not visible, click once or twice in the box until it appears. That should guarantee the box has focus.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:34 pm

I'll check that, but I can really guarantee that is not the issue. When it happens, I have always been typing a reply and someplace inside that text, I will typically right-click to insert some PEP text, usually my address or something like that.

The problem is that PEP does not ALWAYS recognize the reply box as a Text box at all, because it responds the same as when you right-click on an image or anywhere randomly on a webpage. Why it sometimes does not recognize the Gmail reply box as a box... I don't know.
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Ok ... I'll do more research when I get back into PEP (right now I'm trying to get FEBE 8.0 out of beta and into production).

To be honest, I'm dreading looking into gmail code again. Have you ever seen it? It looks like a thousand fingers have been in there and one coder doesn't seem to know what another coder is doing. It's a mess :crazy:
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Understood.
FYI - Gmail is only site that I have had a problem. Unfortunately for me, Gmail is open 24x7x365 and accounts for the vast majority of where I need PEP (!)
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:34 pm

PEP 5.0beta has been released. Please install and test at your convenience.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:19 am

i just learned of the update. Installed, seems fine so far.
rpesq

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus