Place icon where I want it?

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

Place icon where I want it?

Postby VLM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:30 am

I am running Pale Moon with Paste Email Plus 5.1.1. The extension works fine, I just have one small refinement to request. Right now, the extension places its icon in the status bar, to the far right. I would like the ability to move it wherever I wish in the status bar, but when I select Customize, the Paste Email icon appears in the protected/cannot be moved group to the right. Is there a way, for example, to comment out some code in an XUL file, then have the icon appear in the Customize library so that a user can placed it wherever s/he wishes?
VLM

Re: Place icon where I want it?

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Placement of extension icons in the status/add-ons bar is very "iffy" since Fx removed that bar in Fx 29. I have the Status-4-Evar extension installed that gives me back that bar, but icon placement in the bar is somewhat restrictive. In my case, the PEP icon is grouped together with several other icons and can only be moved in a block. Does PM natively support the original status bar? If so, then you should be able to move the icons around at will.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Place icon where I want it?

Postby VLM » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Chuck, honestly, given all the iterations of Firefox through the years, I have no idea what it would even mean to support "the original status bar". I write this while laughing. :)

I can say this: I have an extension called LinkmanFox, which, by default, puts a slew of icons into that right-hand corner spot. The code for this was in the extension's XML file. But the extension also provides a set of toolbar buttons, which appear by default in the Customize corral, ready to be dragged into operation. Visually, the icons were the same, as far as I am aware; they were just made available using two different methods.

With the author's help, I was able to comment out the lines in the XUL file that put the default icons into the status bar. Then I dragged the toolbar icons where I wanted them. Worked out fine, albeit with a bit of back and forth at first.

Does such an approach ring any bells on your end?
VLM

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus