PEP not working with Firefox Electrolysis (multiple process)

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

PEP not working with Firefox Electrolysis (multiple process)

Postby animadversor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Several have noted that PEP has stopped working for them and have sought the cause. At least in my case, it does not work when Electrolysis (multiple process) (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysisis) is enabled. Electrolysis is being rolled out gradually according to the schedule at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#Schedule. Users can determine whether or not it is enabled for their installation of Firefox by going to about:support (or selecting Troubleshooting Information from the Help menu) and seeing whether or not the Multiprocess Windows entry has a number greater than 0. If so, they can try disabling it by going to about:config and searching for (or, if necessary, creating), the Boolean string browser.tabs.remote.force-enable and setting it to false. This worked for me.
Last edited by animadversor on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
animadversor

Re: PEP not working with Firefox Electrolysis (multiple proc

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info!

I'm running Fx v53.0.3 and my "Multiprocess Windows" entry is set to "0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)". I'm not really sure what that means, but PEP is working fine for me now.

I have a feeling that most legacy extensions (i.e., non-WebExtensions platform) will cease working sooner than later. PEP (and literally all of my Fx extensions) will no no longer be supported when Fx v57 comes out this fall.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby animadversor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:06 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Thanks for the info!

I have a feeling that most legacy extensions (i.e., non-WebExtensions platform) will cease working sooner than later. PEP (and literally all of my Fx extensions) will no no longer be supported when Fx v57 comes out this fall.
You are welcome. All this must be very disheartening to you.
animadversor

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:19 pm

animadversor wrote:All this must be very disheartening to you.

It is, but I'm consoled by the knowledge that my extensions will live on in Fx forks (like Pale Moon). I've also ported a couple of my extensions to Chrome ("Paste Email Plus" and "Back to Top") and have written a few others just for Chrome.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby animadversor » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:48 pm

I am not pleased that many of my extensions will no longer work, either because they are incompatible with Electrolysis or because they are not WebExtensions; however, I do have so many extensions installed that it does slow down my browser and make it less responsive, so perhaps having fewer will bring some benefit.
animadversor

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus