Paste Email Wiped Out All My Added Information

Discuss all "Paste Email" issues or request new features.

Paste Email Wiped Out All My Added Information

Postby gelson » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:32 pm

The new update to Paste Email deleted all my current information. Why is this? Also, it doesn't look the same, and not user friendly.
gelson

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Your old data is still there, but in a format Paste Email 3.0 can't read. If you were to re-install the old version, you would see it. (Assuming, of course, that you did not already clear them out with the "Clear all Paste Email preferences" button in v3.0).

I'm sorry you don't believe the new version is user friendly. Many users have asked that I add more and more text lines and added security for passwords. To do this, I had to modify the way textlines were stored. Version 3.0 can store unlimited textlines and encrypts passwords.

Another option would be to copy/paste the old textlines into the current version. Type about:config in the Firefox location bar and filter for pasteemail. All your previous textlines should appear. You can copy each line by right-clicking and "Copy Value" and paste it into the "Paste text" box in Paste Email options when creating new textlines.
Last edited by cbaker_admin on Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Thank you for information about recovering the older version

Postby Mickey Phelan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:05 am

The old Paste email, along with the extension to email a page, has been my most helpful xpi for Firefox. By using that also so helpful Mozbackup program I have been able to move all the profile materials from Firefox and also Thunderbird to my other computers over time as things change.

I also was surprised to find that my entries in the older version were not available in the newer version.

Have successfully reinstalled the older version and until I have an opportunity to work with the newer version will make sure I do not lose what I already have. Will not be upgrading Foxfire unless I know that the upgrade allows the unuage of the older paste email.

Thank you so much for this extension.

Mickey Phelan
Mickey Phelan

Paste Email

Postby gelson » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks cbaker_admin. I re-installed the July 8, 2006 version. So I'll be using that version, but will have to re-enter all my previous information.
gelson

Postby Paul_J » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:49 am

Thanks for the new version, Chuck. :)

It was a little disconcerting to do an "update" of Firefox's add-ons, and then find that my Paste Email data didn't show up, but I do like the new features. In my case, it was easy enough to recreate the data in the new format.
Paul_J

afraid to update

Postby Ray » Fri May 02, 2008 6:47 am

Lost all of my pasteemail entries because I updated to the current version. I've lost all of the time pasteemail saved so far because I had to learn what happened and recreat the entries. What a shame. FWIW, I don't recall hitting clear all or anything like that yet the about:config suggestion didn't work. I'm afraid to update any of your otherwise wonderful extensions again.
Ray

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri May 02, 2008 10:28 am

Ray, You just need to re-install Paste Email Plus. Your pastetext lines should still be there. You may want to uninstall Paste Email (original) as you don't really need both.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

paste email plus

Postby Ray » Fri May 02, 2008 11:24 am

Chuck, I appreciate the suggestion to install paste email + but every time I try to do that I get a message that there are errors on the form. When I try to register under a new name, I get the same message. So I can't login at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/users/login and I can't register under a new name. How can I get paste email +?
Ray

OK, got it from another site

Postby Ray » Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 am

OK, I got paste email plus from another site. Forget the post immediately above. I think I have PE Plus installed and working now. Thanks.
Ray

Return to Paste Email (Original) and Paste Email Plus