No .fbu file

My Firefox extensions that have been released for Pale Moon

No .fbu file

Postby bex1210 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:03 pm

I am new to FEBE, so there must be a simple answer to my problem, but I can't find it.

I installed FEBE 10.2 as a Pale Moon 27.2.2 (x86) add-on extension. My computer uses Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) SP1. I have read your Quick Start Guide, FAQ, Restoring a Firefox Profile, etc., & searched this forum.

On your Options->What to Backup, I am doing a Selective type, with only extensions, themes, and bookmarks (.json) selected. On Where to Backup, I have selected a directory, and checked to have it time stamped. On When to backup, I checked No scheduled backup, and have the Reminder set for 30 days (and the reminder feature works—too well in fact). On How to backup, I have several items checked, including Save results page with backup, and include a copy of FEBE with backup.

I had never tried to do a restore, until today. I understand that I cannot do a restore into a currently active profile, so I have several Pale Moon User Profiles. So I went to 'Restoring a Firefox Profile' on your website, and tried to follow the instructions. But I could never complete the selection of a local backup to restore. The file name would appear, but it was looking for an .fbu file.

My 1st attachment is the FEBE results report when I did my backup today. It looks OK to me. My 2nd attachment is a list of the contents of that file. There is no .fbu file listed!

So then I read your posting, 'Steps to take before reporting a problem'. My 3rd attachment is the list of the Related error messages. There are two.

I then ran 'Verify extension directory' . Everything was OK. ( I could never find the 'JS' button in the console that you mentioned, so that was not done.) I did not run 'Clear FEBE preferences', because I had made very few changes from the default.

Finally I ran the 'Check AddonManager functionality' option. I created a report, but your forum does not seem to want more than 3 attachments. So it is added as a Reply to this post, named: Addenda: no fbu file

Do you have any idea why I am not creating an .fbu file, and what my next steps should be?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide,

Harry
Attachments
FEBE_RelatedErrorMessages.png
ContentsofFEBE_2018 03-02 13.01.25.png
FEBE_ResultsReport.png
Last edited by bex1210 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bex1210

Re:Addenda-- No .fbu file

Postby bex1210 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Here is the 'Check AddonManager functionality' file that I created.

Harry
Attachments
FEBE- Check AddonManager Functionality 3-2-2018.txt
(189.51 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
bex1210

Re: No .fbu file

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:07 pm

First of all, thank you for the very detailed post. You obviously researched for an answer, which many posters never do. I'm sorry you were not able to find the answer quickly.

I am new to FEBE, so there must be a simple answer to my problem, but I can't find it.

Actually, there is a simple answer. You can only restore a full profile if a full profile backup was completed. You have chosen FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type > Selective. That options will backup all the items that are checked, but they must be restored individually.

If you choose FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type > Full profile (or Both) FEBE will create a Full Profile backup file named something similar to profilePM27.7.2{profileName}.fbu. That is the file FEBE is looking for when restoring a full profile.

If you are having any other issues, please post them here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby bex1210 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:30 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Actually, there is a simple answer. You can only restore a full profile if a full profile backup was completed. You have chosen FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type > Selective. That options will backup all the items that are checked, but they must be restored individually.

The Full backup is what I will want normally, but let me explain why I don't want only a full backup at this time. Since one cannot restore into a currently active profile, I have to have at least one more profile. And since I have more than one profile, I think that FEBE will be an excellent tool in sorting out when I have some problem or glitch with Pale Moon in a specific area. Rather than start with a new, clean profile, and gradually add add-ons, themes, etc. (which in my case will take a lot of work), I plan to start with just backing up the extensions (add-ons). If that works, run FEBE again adding the themes, etc. until I find which group contains the problem. Then I have a much smaller group to sort through. Hope that makes sense.

Then I guess I need to do an individual restoration, but I don't know how to do that (I looked at the pop-up Help screen, and it talked about the 'Both' option, but it was not clear there how to do the individual.)

So how do I accomplish an individual restoration?

Harry
bex1210

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:51 pm

Go to Tools > FEBE > Restore and select which item type you want to restore. Or, if you have the FEBE icon on the toolbar, click the FEBE dropdown menu button > Restore.

You can restore several extensions at the same time by selecting multiple extensions using the Shift-Click or Ctrl-Click methods (or select all with Ctrl-A).

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby bex1210 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:24 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Go to Tools > FEBE > Restore and select which item type you want to restore. Or, if you have the FEBE icon on the toolbar, click the FEBE dropdown menu button > Restore.

You can restore several extensions at the same time by selecting multiple extensions using the Shift-Click or Ctrl-Click methods (or select all with Ctrl-A).

Sorry to be so dense on this! Am I doing the above WITHIN the active profile (which for a Full profile you said could not be done)? And if not, once I choose the extension(s) I want to restore, is their a 2nd screen that asks which profile I want to appy it to?

BTW, I created a Full profile for my default profile, and now have an .fbu file.

Harry
bex1210

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Only a Full Profile restore must be done from a different profile. When restoring anything else, you must do it within the current active profile. And, of course, FEBE must be already installed in that current profile.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby bex1210 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:58 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Only a Full Profile restore must be done from a different profile. When restoring anything else, you must do it within the current active profile. And, of course, FEBE must be already installed in that current profile.

Chuck:

Thanks for that clarification on where full and partial profiles should be restored from.

I created a new Pale Moon profile, followed your 'Restoring a Firefox Profile' instructions for a Full Profile restore, and it all went fine. When I opened that new profile, it seemed like everything was there that should be there, and there was nothing extra. Great work on your part.

Then I created another new profile, installed FEBE, and did a Selective Backup & Restore of my Themes. That worked fine, and the themes that I had previously disabled remained disabled. I then Restored my Bookmarks (.json). That also worked fine.

Then I Restored my Extensions. They all installed, BUT the 9 that were previously disabled were now enabled with the others. I had to disable them manually. What other Restore option should I have selected so that these would have been disabled when I restored the Extensions?

Stylish is one of my Extensions. But the User Styles were not installed when I did the Selective Backup & Restore for Extensions. What other Restore option should I have selected so that these User Styles would have been restored?

Harry
bex1210

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:35 pm

Then I Restored my Extensions. They all installed, BUT the 9 that were previously disabled were now enabled with the others. I had to disable them manually. What other Restore option should I have selected so that these would have been disabled when I restored the Extensions?

When you restore extensions into a new profile with FEBE, they will be enabled by default (as if you were installing them for the first time). With a full profile restore, disabled extensions will remain disabled.

Stylish is one of my Extensions. But the User Styles were not installed when I did the Selective Backup & Restore for Extensions. What other Restore option should I have selected so that these User Styles would have been restored?

I believe that Stylish saves its data in your [profile] directory as stylish.sqlite. You can have FEBE back it up with FEBE Options > What to backup > User-defined backups.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby bex1210 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:
When you restore extensions into a new profile with FEBE, they will be enabled by default (as if you were installing them for the first time). With a full profile restore, disabled extensions will remain disabled.

OK

I believe that Stylish saves its data in your [profile] directory as stylish.sqlite. You can have FEBE back it up with FEBE Options > What to backup > User-defined backups.

Yes, stylish.sqlite is in my Profile directory. I'll add it as a user defined backup to my next Selective backup of extensions.

I looked at the 'Ignore List' tab. All of my disabled extensions are shown in gray text. Perhaps in some future upgrade, on this screen the user would have the choice of either ignoring an item, or loading it as disabled.

Harry
bex1210

Return to Pale Moon