URGENT: Do FEBE updates overwrite FEBE backup settings?

My Firefox extensions that have been released for Pale Moon

URGENT: Do FEBE updates overwrite FEBE backup settings?

Postby VLM » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:00 pm

For YEARS, I have had FEBE set to backup both the full profile and user-defined backups. I included bookmarks, of course. And for years, before FEBE officially came over to Pale Moon, I turned off FEBE backups. When I manually upgraded to FEBE 10, I checked the backup setup, and it looked fine. Now, I notice that none of my backups appears to have a bookmarks file, and if there is a full profile file, I don't recognize it.

This is significant, because I:

- ran a FEBE backup to a folder outside the reach of Pale Moon
- completely uninstalled Pale Moon
- removed Moonchild registry entries
- reinstalled Pale Moon 28.1

and now, I appear to be missing more than 100,000 painstakingly filled-in bookmarks. Hopefully, there is just something I don't know or am not seeing. Hopefully.
VLM

Re: URGENT: Do FEBE updates overwrite FEBE backup settings?

Postby VLM » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:21 pm

I am happy to report that I appear to have "solved" this problem. I found a full bookmark backup from 5 days ago and was able to import those bookmarks into my new PM 28.1 installation. To recover the bookmarks from the last 5 days, I would like to restore the history backed up earlier today. FEBE has saved the file history{default}.json, but I do not know how to import or integrate it into the new PM installation.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you!

I still do not know why FEBE did not back up bookmarks earlier today, either during a scheduled run or a manual one. But I am happy to report that bookmark backups are working fine again in the new installation. At this point, unless Chuck, you wish to pursue it, I am happy to let it drop.
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:23 pm

Since it is working now, attempting to troubleshoot it would be moot.

FEBE backs up bookmarks to the files bookmarks{profileName}.html and bookmarks{profileName}.json. The file history{default}.json contains your browser history, not backups. Your full profile backup should be in the file profilePM28.1.0{default}.fbu

Now that you are running PM 28.1, you should be using FEBE v10.3.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Since it is working now, attempting to troubleshoot it would be moot.

FEBE backs up bookmarks to the files bookmarks{profileName}.html and bookmarks{profileName}.json. The file history{default}.json contains your browser history, not backups. Your full profile backup should be in the file profilePM28.1.0{default}.fbu

Now that you are running PM 28.1, you should be using FEBE v10.3.

Thank you, Chuck. I am indeed running FEBE 10.3. My question, at this point, is about how to make PM use the saved history file. There appears to be no restore function similar to what is available for bookmarks, which is understandable. I looked in <user> > AppData > Roaming > Moonchild Productions, but I do not see the history file there, nor in the install directory. (Unless my eyes are just missing it.) How can I use the FEBE-saved history file?
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:08 pm

To restore browser history, go to Tools > FEBE > Restore > Restore Browser History and navigate to the directory that contains your history{default}.json file.

Note that depending on how large the file is, it may take a while (several minutes or more). If you get the "Script is busy" message during the restore, just tic the box that allows you to continue.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:27 pm

Thank you , Chuck. I have now tried restoring from a backup history files several times. Specifically, I chose

... Tools > FEBE > Restore > Restore Browser History,

then pointed at the last history file backed up before removing PM to set up the clean reinstall. Then I waited until the Private Working Set Memory in Task Manager stopped increasing. The browser's history is completely empty, which is the state into which I put it.

All the commands, prompts, etc. come up as they should, but the existing history is not overwritten from the selected backup file. It's as if the lights are on, but nobody is home, so to speak.

I tried deleting the existing history (from yesterday and today), but to no avail. I tried restarting (shutting down and cold starting) PM, also to no avail.

The history file in question is only about 146KB, not large at all.

I don't know what to do. Suggestions appreciated.
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 pm

Hmmm ...

It appears that there was a significant change between PM v27 and v28 regarding browser history APIs. FEBE v10.3 restores history fine with PM v27, but crashes with PM v28.

It will take me a few days to troubleshoot and fix it. When done, I will leave a post here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you so much, Chuck. Hopefully, the changes will not be on the order of what Mozilla required again and again!
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:44 pm

I've found a fix and applied it. Please try FEBE v10.4 and let me know.

Since you are restoring various items, would you mind testing to see if everything else is working? I'll wait for your response before uploading the fix to the Pale Moon repository.

Thanks!
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby VLM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Absolutely, it's the least I can do! It may take until later tonight though (Pacific time), because we are engaged in homeschooling activities for the next 6 hours or so.
VLM

Postby VLM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:39 pm

I tested restoring history only, and it appears to have worked perfectly, and with one plus: the existing history was not overwritten, but supplemented. That is, the file I installed was created 10/7, and the today/yesterday entries remain intact. Bravo!

Will test the remainder later this evening, as promised.
VLM

Postby VLM » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Greetings Chuck!

Our homeschooling activities for the day having been concluded, I have further tested FEBE 10.4. Specifically, I was able to test restoration of bookmarks, history, preferences, permissions, cookies, and user-defined backups. I don't use or retain any of the other items. Of the items tested, all appear to have worked flawlessly.
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:08 pm

Thank you very much! I've now uploaded FEBE v10.4 to the Pale Moon repository.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

FEBE updates again exclude bookmark backups

Postby VLM » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi again Chuck. I'm having this same problem again — FEBE backs up everything but bookmarks, and the backup report tells me that bookmarks have indeed been backed up. I'm running Win 7, PM 28.1.0 x32, and FEBE 10.4, just reinstalled to make sure it isn't corrupted. Cookies, history, permissions, preferences, and user-defined backups (these are the items I back up) are all there, just no bookmarks, json or html. I've checked the settings in the What-to-Back-Up tab, and the settings all appear to be correct. Help, please.

Aside: It would be nice, one day, to have a shortcut that launches CLEO. :)
VLM

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 pm

I've just tested the bookmarks backups here and all is working as should.

Let's try something:
  1. Set FEBE to backup only bookmarks (FEBE Options > What to backup > Backup type > Selective, and only the two bookmarks backup types checked under Additional items.
  2. Check FEBE Options > Advanced > Miscellaneous > FEBE debug mode (The Pale Moon browser error console should appear. If not, click Toggle browser (error) console or type CTRL-SHIFT-J)
  3. Close FEBE Options and perform the backup
  4. Check the error console for any FEBE related messages (type febe in the filter box located near the top of the error console)
  5. Copy/paste any errors here in your reply

Note: If you get errors like the two below, that is normal. Mozilla may have deprecated those APIs, but Pale Moon still uses them.

Code: Select all
Timestamp: 10/17/2018 12:10:32 PM
Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: Passing an nsIFile to BookmarksJSONUtils.exportToFile is deprecated. Please use an OS.File path string instead.
Line: 79

Code: Select all
Timestamp: 10/17/2018 12:10:32 PM
Error: DEPRECATION WARNING: Passing an nsIFile to BookmarksHTMLUtils.exportToFile is deprecated. Please use an OS.File path string instead.
Line: 79

Do you have more that one profile set up? If so, does the bookmark backup fail on those also?

Aside: It would be nice, one day, to have a shortcut that launches CLEO. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by a "shortcut". Do you mean an icon on the toolbar? That can be placed by right-clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Customize...". Also, FEBE contains most of the functionality of CLEO under Tools > FEBE > Quick backup. It does everything CLEO does except create extension content information.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pale Moon