FEBE - Backup when idle

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

FEBE - Backup when idle

Postby tomorrow » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 am

Currently i have set FEBE to backup my Firefox profile at 5pm (17:00) every day. The backup itself goes fast (~30 seconds or so) but the experience is disruptive nonetheless - especially when doing input or wathcing video. I can postpone but there's no guarantee that the postponed backup would happen in a better moment either. I can abort but that's generally a bad idea.

So i was thinking since Firefox is running most of the time anyway why not add an option to backup after certain amount of idle time has passed. This assumes the is a way for FEBE to know that Firefox is idle (is there?). If not then maybe there's a way to query OS for that info assuming extensions can do that?

This would be an alternate way of doing the backup (not just an extension to sheduled backup etc). For for example every day between 5pm and 12pm FEBE starts monitoring Firefox and if the user is not present for x seconds/minutes (user configureable) then it performs the backup. If for some reason user is active all that time and eventually closes the browser the backup is moved there and FEBE prompts the user letting them know that backup was not performed and do they wish to backup now. If Firefox is not started on any given day between that time at all then the backup prompt would happen at next Firefox startup (saying something like "Looks like scheduled backup was not performed yesterday. Do yop wish to backup now?")

Obviosly there are some problems with this implementation. For example Firefox could potentially interpret watching a long Youtube (or any) video as user being idle while clearly thats not the case. I suppose this depends if and how intelligently Firefox determines that the user is not present. However assuming user is not idle when plugin-container proccess is running would be a good idea.
tomorrow

Re: FEBE - Backup when idle

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:18 pm

It sounds like a good idea, but as far as I know there is no way for an extension to monitor inactivity. I suppose one could add an event listener to the keyboard and mouse, but it would probably be too cpu intensive to constantly trap keystrokes and mouse movements. And with the future of Fx extensions in limbo, I doubt Mozilla would create a component to accomplish that.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: FEBE - Backup when idle

Postby tomorrow » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:31 am

Yep i certainly think this is a good idea. I guess this idea can be shelved for future then if and when things improve.
tomorrow

Return to Wishlist