Extension Idea -- TOGGLE Plugins Enabled-Disabled

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Extension Idea -- TOGGLE Plugins Enabled-Disabled

Postby rpesq » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 am

Hi,

FF3 has capability to easily enable/disable plugins on the fly. (Tools - Addons - Plugins. Each plugin has an Enable-Disable button).

I have been waiting for an Extension that would allow me to one-click enable/disable Flash via this method. This is the ONLY method to truly disable flash, except for uninstalling. Flashblock (et al) does not do this -- it simply downloads and hides the flash content and does little to truly speed up page rendering, and puts ugly placeholders all over most webpages. The flashblock concept is a poor solution for someone looking to disable Flash 99.999% of the time except for the very very very few times I ~need~ it for a business purpose. Similarly, Adblock screws with the HTML too much, when all that is needed is to simply Toogle the Flash plugin button to either enabled or disabled. No sledgehammer required.

Several MozillaZine threads have asked for a Plugins Toggle extension. I discovered these threads today with a quick google search. I have not participated in these threads. See, for example:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &p=3271381

and

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &p=3480495

Thanks in advance for your consideration. I cannot fathom why no one has offered this type of Extension yet(!)
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:54 am

It certainly seems doable, but would require a restart every time it is enabled/disabled. Do you think that average user would find this acceptable?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi Chuck,

Actually, for Flash & Java, neither requires any restart when disabled via the Plugins window, nor does FF ask for any restart. Plugins are NOT handled like Extensions (which Extensions require restart -- plugins do not).

I routinely Enable/Disable Flash on-the-fly, and it works perfect every time.

I really do not know why FF has built-in easily ability to disable Java & Javascript, but not Flash. I can only guess that Adobe is making donations to Mozilla. Nothing else makes sense, because Flash has had quite a lot of security vulnerabilities (similar to Java), both Flash and Java eat cpu cycles and slow down web surfing, and both make it look as though FF is eating Ram. So why does Mozilla not offer an easy built-in Flash disable checkbox? Only money makes sense...
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Doesn't require a restart? Then I was mislead by the tooltip text you get when hovering over the plugin disable/enable buttons. It says "Disable this Add-on when Firefox is restarted". Since it says "Add-on" instead of "Plugin" it obviously is a bug. If I ever make the time, I'll file a bug report.

But in the light of no restart required, it would seem like a valuable extension to have.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm

yes, try it yourself. Disable Flash. Load a flash page. Then go that plugin window and enable it. Reload the page. No issues either way, just like you can Toggle Java or Javascript on the fly without needing any restarts.

As far as I can tell, and I researched this a good bit hoping that I could find an easy about:config setting to write my own extension, all the Toogle button is doing is updating the pluginreg.dat file, and changing the status to enabled or disabled. (numerical code of 5 vs 4). But I do not know enough about development to handle this situation.
rpesq

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Have you written extensions before? If not, then this one would be a good one to learn on. I found the code that disables/enables the plugins here. So all you'd really have to worry about writing is the UI.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby rpesq » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi,

No, never wrote one. I edited the JS in Copy Plain Text to fit my needs a little better, but nothing else. Taking a look at the link you provided, it is definitely beyond my skillset.
rpesq

Return to Wishlist