FEBE wish: restoring disabled addons

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

FEBE wish: restoring disabled addons

Postby Demandred » Tue May 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Hi. Thanx for excellent addon. Is a life saver.

One wish.

I'm using a Selective backup. When I preform a restore, all of my addons are enabled.
Can you implement a feature which would restore disabled extensions as disabled?

This is just a small wish. Not even a wish.... A suggetion.
If one of the goals is to make FEBE do it's purpose in the easiest way (from a user point of view) than this would be a good thing, I think.
Presuming that it is possible at all..

P.S. My appologies if simmilar topic exists. I'm not getting around with topic searches on english forums.
Demandred

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue May 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible. Whenever you install an extension in Firefox, it is enabled by default. (I guess that it assumes that since you are installing it, you must want to use it right away.) When you restore a FEBE generated extension backup, it is treated as if it was a new installation and will automatically be enabled.

If you were to restore a full profile backup, the enabled/disabled information is, of course, retained.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Demandred » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 pm

OK... I have another solution for this on my mind.
This is Selective backup we're talking about, OK?

FEBE, when preforming a backup, memorizes each extension's state. When preforming a restore, it is done the way you described.
cbaker_admin wrote:When you restore a FEBE generated extension backup, it is treated as if it was a new installation and will automatically be enabled.

When all extensions are restored, a FEBE popup window appears saying: "FEBE detected following addons to be disabled in previous addon configuration: (list of disabled addons). Would you like to disable those addons now?", or something like that.

My knowlege in general programming is very, very poor, but I assume that memorizing extension state would require creation of a separate file (in addition to .js, .json, .xpi etc. files).

I'm expecting you to say if the feature I'm proposing is not worth of your effort and time, so that I can stop insisting. :wink: :D
Demandred

Return to Wishlist