FEBE: Backup Other Profiles

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

FEBE: Backup Other Profiles

Postby banthaz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 am

I use multiple profiles. Sometimes I wish to back them all up (parts or full profile) for safety or syncing with another computer. It takes a lot of time when I have to open each profile and select Backup, or going through Windows Explorer - especially when I just want some certain items. And on some profiles I don't even want FEBE installed (for various reasons)!

So I would like a feature to backup other profiles. And I have an idea:

In the Options add a "Backup Profile" (or something) item above "Backup Type", with a menu of all available profiles and maybe "All". The following options (displayed to the right) may help: 1. "Remember settings per profile" 2. "Use the same settings on all profiles".

Make the things between brackets: Tools > FEBE > Backup (> [profile name], All)

No ideas for scheduled backup and restoring, though.

Hope you understand me and thanks for ONE OF THE BEST FIREFOX EXTENSIONS!!!
banthaz

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:56 am

An interesting idea, but I think there may be some security issues involved.

While it may be handy for users like yourself (and me) that maintain multiple profiles for our own use, it would not be appropriate in a corporate or educational setting were profiles are assigned per user/department. In that case, users would have potential access to sensitive information (like passwords) that don't belong to them. An unscrupulous employee (student) could backup the passwords from the boss's (principal's) profile to a USB stick and restore them to their home computer. That's no good ...
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby sd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:18 am

But the FEBE extension wouldn't have anything to do with one's access to the other profile information; it would just facilitate backup/restore.

And if the profiles were under a different user's dir tree (as they should be, rather than being under a catch-all Windows profile), the user wouldn't have access to them anyway. And neither would FEBE.
sd

Return to Wishlist