FEBE suggestion: Warn before performing scheduled backup

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

FEBE suggestion: Warn before performing scheduled backup

Postby sd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:18 am

I like scheduling FEBE backups, but I don't like having my browser experience interrupted for two full minutes, without warning, when the backup begins. (I say "two full minutes" because that's how long my backups take. Responding by telling me how to reduce this delay will be missing the point.)

This suggestion is to provide an option to put up a "Backup will begin soon" type of warning, with the option to respond by allowing the backup to begin immediately, to defer it for a certain amount of time, or to cancel that iteration of the scheduled backup entirely.

Alternatively, perhaps an option to simply wait for the browser to be idle for a certain period of time before running a scheduled backup. I'm assuming there's some way to check to see if a page has been loaded, or some other browser activity that indicates it's in use.
sd

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:10 pm

Do you have FEBE sounds turned on? Do you have the FEBE statusbar icon visible? One minute prior to a scheduled backup, the statusbar icon blinks and a tone is emitted every 10 seconds. You can abort the backup by clicking the icon during this warning period.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby sd » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I have the status bar icon enabled, but I've never noticed it blinking. If I'm looking at a web page, it would be hard for me to notice it.

I have all system and application sounds disabled on my system, because I often use headphones, and I have been startled and injured too many times with surprise sounds coming through the headset.
sd

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:00 pm

The only other thing I can suggest is to schedule the backup at a time when you are unlikely to be actively surfing. The middle of the night, perhaps?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby sd » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:12 am

I don't normally leave my system on all night. It's a waste of electricity and my tower puts out quite a bit of heat and really does make the room hotter.

I was in the middle of a customer service chat session this morning, requesting a refund for something I'd ordered, when FEBE popped right up and froze my browser for what must have been at least 3 minutes. The representative had left the chat when I finally regained control. I wish I knew what my blood pressure was during those 3 minutes.

You really don't want to make it possible to have the backup window pop up 60 seconds before the backup begins, and give a warning?
sd

Postby sd » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:14 am

Well, I thought I had made myself a nice little workaround. I created a batch file, and used the NirCmd utility along with Task Scheduler to put up my own notification that a FEBE backup was about to occur.

Code: Select all
@echo off & cls & setlocal

set Title=FEBE

nircmd execmd nircmd cmdwait 250 win settopmost title "%Title% " 1
nircmd execmd nircmd cmdwait 250 win activate   title "%Title% "
nircmd infobox "A Firefox backup is about to begin. (~$currtime.h:mm tt$, ~$currdate.dddd, MMMM d$)" "%Title% "

:: End of script

I scheduled this task for 2 minutes prior to the actual backup time. I thought this would enable me to cancel the backup if I was using the browser, and the interruption wouldn't be convenient for me.

I was wrong.

I just discovered that to disable a scheduled FEBE backup, it's necessary to restart Firefox. This means that if you're using the browser and you have a scheduled backup about to occur, you will be interrupted--whether it's to disable the schedule (because a restart is required), or by the FEBE backup itself. So if you're doing online banking, shopping, or in a support chat, it's just too bad.

I'm really baffled by this.
sd

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 am

You are correct in assuming that a scheduled FEBE backup cannot be easily aborted from some process outside of Firefox. But the backup can be aborted by clicking the blinking FEBE statusbar icon that appears one minute prior to executing the backup. And no restart or otherwise obtrusive interruption will occur.

FEBE 7.0 will include the option to display a popup window with a countdown and a green-yellow-red progress bar to alert to impending backup. The ability to abort the backup will also appear in the window.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Wishlist