Option to backup after x amount of time

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Option to backup after x amount of time

Postby Lupo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:09 pm

In the Tools > FEBE submenu, I think there should be an option called "Backup In..." that displays a dialogue box much like the scheduler, asking the user to choose an amount of time to wait before initiating the backup. It would be helpful since backups cause Firefox to become unresponsive, so instead of doing one on demand, a user could set it for enough time to finish his work, leave, and let the backup be preformed automatically. Of course, you can begin a backup right before you leave, but it's easy to forget to run one.

Thanks,
Zach
Lupo

Re: Option to backup after x amount of time

Postby register » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:20 am

I vote for this request, because FEBE backup routine is blocking Firefox and preventing its use. My first use of Firefox is surfing, but FEBE needed function is very in foreground. I tried the option FEBE/When to Backup/Start/Shutdown/Prompt before backup/ but this causes several side effects. If I use it after I started Firefox and several plugins are not loaded, the "Prompt Dialog for backup" hanging in the middle and its "abort" and "ok" button is not in reach of my mouse curser, so I must kill Firefox process. If I use it after I close Firefox, FEBE seams to hanging endless in a waiting to response loop and Firefox is also blocked.
My workaround is:
- Starting Firefox and hoping FEBE is not asking for backup, because I save it every day.
- If FEBE is blocking Firefox, I kill Firefox process
- Starting Firefox a second time and FEBE gets a quicker response from Firefox and the scrolling up pop up windows has time for scrolling and both buttons are in reach of my mouse cursor

Best regards,
Daniel
register

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Starting with FEBE 8.0, there will be a menuitem for "Perform delayed backup". A backup can be queued for up to 5 hours in the future.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby register » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:19 am

Thank you for "Backup on startup grace period (seconds)"!
register

Return to Wishlist