Easy persona exports!

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Easy persona exports!

Postby Apollo702 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:24 am

We need a way to easily export our personas. If you have a zillion of them and you want to share them as-is you can only either:

1. Log in on your account on the other computer- but you can only be logged in on one computer at a time- therefore someone loses out.
2. We could manually copy all of them. What a nightmare!
2 and 1/2. Strangely enough "My Favorite Add-ons" collection automatically added 150 of my personas. I have 1285 Why it picked personas instead of add-or why it picked 150 of them is :?:
2 and 3/4. (These things are so messed up that they don't even deserve full numbers!) They DO have persona collections and they have "add to collections" if we click on the personas from there- but on the personas pages there is no such button! Whaaatttttttttttttttt??????????????????

Surely there has to be a better way. Perhaps you could create an extension to do this- or perhaps there is just a file in the profile that we could copy and add to a second party's profile. Either way the existing system and implementation is a mess. I think it would be infinitely superior if we could install them locally instead of using the ( often broken) log-in system.
Apollo702

Re: Easy persona exports!

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm

FEBE does backup/restore lightweight themes (Personas). See Tools > FEBE > Restore > Restore themes > Restore lightweight themes (Personas).
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo702 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Then 3 cheers for FEBE!!! :D
Apollo702

Postby Apollo702 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Could you give a clarification? When I click on FEBE it has "backup themes" in the options and it has "themes" in the restore section- but I see nothing indicating "lightweight themes."
Apollo702

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:31 pm

It should be under Tools > FEBE > Restore > Restore themes > Restore lightweight themes (Personas).

cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo702 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 am

I don't have that option at all. Could it be only on some versions of FEBE?

http://limepic.com/img/febenopersonas.png

I posted the link twice since the img didn't show.
Apollo702

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:37 am

The ability to backup/restore Personas was introduced in FEBE 7 for Firefox 4.0 and above.

Are you still using Fx 3.x and FEBE 6.x?
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo702 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Yep! During my endless experiment of restoring FF I did try downgrading to FF 9.01 and I hated hated hated it! Many of us view it as XP vs. Vista all over again. Tons of us skipped Vista and stuck with XP until 7 got it right. Mozilla announced that they are stopping support for 3.6 in April and many of us are in revolt against what we feel is a repeat of having Vista rammed down our throats.

Is there a manual workaround or folder that we could copy into a 3rd party profile?
Apollo702

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Go to about:config and find the preference lightweightThemes.usedThemes. You can right-click and copy the value, save the data in a text document, then paste it into a new profile.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo702 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:02 am

Thank you!!! :D
Apollo702

Postby Apollo702 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:16 am

Hi Chuck! I want to thank you in advance for your time and I have some followup questions about transferring personas. I did the procedure and it worked beautifully but there still are a few snags. Basically my goal is to take the existing favorites list and have it work( if possible) on Both Palemoon( I have utterly kicked Freezefox to the curb these days) and TB(3) at the same time. Then I want to give the same list to friends, family for their systems. I was able to quickly migrate the system from FF to PM and soon a second computer will arrive in the house and then I want to start doing a bunch of exports.

When attempting to export them to TB I created a second account and even that was a royal pain. It appears that now if you attempt to set up a second account from the Mozilla pages it then wipes out your old account. I then attempted a second go at it by deleting the site cookies and tried again. Again, it did it and I had to restore my main account. I then opened up Opera( I have every major browser installed) and apparently it didn't recognize it and it allowed for the creation of the new account.

I then pasted them in TB's about:config. However, then when clicking on the personas icon it then says there are no favorites- even signed in on the second account.

Basically I am asking is it even possible to simultaneously run them on both the browser and TB- even on 2 different accounts? If it is then my next project is using remote assistance to attempt this on my other computer and then if it works send them to my friends, family... Assuming all of this works...

Lastly, it is off topic but F/O/C/ are working better than ever on Palemoon! They are faster than I have ever seen them and there is no more freezing or changing the timer values anymore. Thank you for sticking with them and making them really rock!
Apollo702

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 am

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the inner-workings of Personas to answer your questions. Perhaps if you were to ask in the Personas support forum, they can help.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby Apollo702 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for responding but unfortunately I think that you know more about it than they do. I have already tried that route and there are reasons why I was asking you and not them. :( You are far far ahead of them...
Apollo702

Postby Ganapoes » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't have that option at all :problem:
Ganapoes

Return to Wishlist