An extension to load extensions from a remote location

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

On how many different computers do you regularly use Firefox?

0 (I don't use Firefox)
0
No votes
1
1
14%
2
0
No votes
3-10
6
86%
>10
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 7

An extension to load extensions from a remote location

Postby gigajosh » Sat May 27, 2006 4:44 pm

My dream extension for Firefox is 'FlextensionFox'.. he he
A single extension that enables you to load up primarily your preferences and extensions, but also themes, cookies etc from a remote location.
Why? well, obviously so you can access Firefox with your own preferences and extensions from whatever pc you happen to be sitting behind simply by retrieving them via a single extension, FlextensionFox!
When I came across FEBE, I was all the more sure this can be done, cos FEBE already gets your extensions and puts them together in a chosen location, and can restore them again!
Now if we combine this with backing up to a remote location (and try to get rid of the wscript.exe dependency somehow cos I don't have it on my work laptop :?) you're nearly there.. right? :)
Considering the above, we're probably not talking a new extension, but a later release of FEBE (FREBE? - Firefox Remote Extension Backup Extension :D )
Now what to use as the 'remote location' would take some consideration.
I would suggest a few different options: (S)FTP, POP3, or my fave, Gmail!

So, whady'all think?
gigajosh
 

Postby cbaker_admin » Sat May 27, 2006 5:06 pm

Actually, that is my intention with FEBE's sister extension CLEO (released as beta right now). It stuffs all your backed up extensions into a single, installable xpi file. This file can be uploaded or emailed anywhere you want and installed with a single click or two. There is still the problem of getting the backed up extension settings to merge with the existing settings. Right now, it's an all or nothing restore issue.

I'm currently working on FEBE v3.0 which adds many new options. I'm also experimenting with different archive programs that will allow me to get rid of that wscript.exe dependency (I never liked that, but it was a neccessary evil when using 7-zip as the archiver.)

Thanks for the good ideas!

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4530
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Glendale, AZ USA

Postby gigajosh » Sat May 27, 2006 5:13 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Actually, that is my intention with FEBE's sister extension CLEO (released as beta right now). It stuffs all your backed up extensions into a single, installable xpi file. This file can be uploaded or emailed anywhere you want and installed with a single click or two.


Cool Chuck, cheers, I'll check it out :)
gigajosh
 

Re: An extension to load extensions from a remote location

Postby jchiar » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:16 am

gigajosh wrote:My dream extension for Firefox is 'FlextensionFox'.. he he
A single extension that enables you to load up primarily your preferences and extensions, but also themes, cookies etc from a remote location.
Why? well, obviously so you can access Firefox with your own preferences and extensions from whatever pc you happen to be sitting behind simply by retrieving them via a single extension, FlextensionFox!
When I came across FEBE, I was all the more sure this can be done, cos FEBE already gets your extensions and puts them together in a chosen location, and can restore them again!
Now if we combine this with backing up to a remote location (and try to get rid of the wscript.exe dependency somehow cos I don't have it on my work laptop :?) you're nearly there.. right? :)
Considering the above, we're probably not talking a new extension, but a later release of FEBE (FREBE? - Firefox Remote Extension Backup Extension :D )
Now what to use as the 'remote location' would take some consideration.
I would suggest a few different options: (S)FTP, POP3, or my fave, Gmail!

So, whady'all think?


Perhaps the way google browser sync works, except to include extensions, right?
jchiar
 

Re: An extension to load extensions from a remote location

Postby gigajosh » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:38 am

jchiar wrote:Perhaps the way google browser sync works, except to include extensions, right?


Woah, hadn't heard of that one mate. Thanks for alerting me to it. I've just installed it to give it a whirl, but yeah, looks like this is what I'm after, but then including extensions indeed (I'd better get on to Google about that :))

/J
gigajosh
 

Re: An extension to load extensions from a remote location

Postby jchiar » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:39 am

gigajosh wrote:
jchiar wrote:Perhaps the way google browser sync works, except to include extensions, right?


Woah, hadn't heard of that one mate. Thanks for alerting me to it. I've just installed it to give it a whirl, but yeah, looks like this is what I'm after, but then including extensions indeed (I'd better get on to Google about that :))

/J


No problem! Its a great extension.
jchiar
 


Return to Wishlist

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron