extensions - huh?

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

extensions - huh?

Postby cluely » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Chuck, I am attracted to some of the software you make, but I am not a developer or programmer, and I do not know how to understand some of the descriptions of some of your programs. Should I assume that because I do not know the lingo, the software cannot be useful to me? If you intend your software for non-programmer audiences, the absence of a definition of the word "extension" is a hindrance. I think you might mean firefox add-ons, but I am not sure. Thinking this I was reading OPIE. Is this a program for saving my add-on settings? I'll go look it up now.
cluely

Re: extensions - huh?

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Yes ... "Extension" is the same as "Add-on". Both are little programs that you install into Firefox to do something that Firefox does not do itself. These were called extensions long before Mozilla started using the term "Add-on".

And yes, OPIE is used to store a backup of your Firefox extension's (add-ons) options (aka, "preferences"). Many extensions have user-preferences that control how that extension works. They are usually configured when you open the extension's option window. If a particular extension has many of these preferences, it would be nice to be able to save them and re-install them in another Firefox profile all at once. That is what OPIE does.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to Wishlist