Selective Backup - Custom Toolbar Icon Structure etc.

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Selective Backup - Custom Toolbar Icon Structure etc.

Postby fersye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:04 am

Sometimes instead of full profile, I would like to make selective backup and restore for a cleaner Firefox restore.

The only thing after the restore is restructring icons in the toolbar and statusbar. I have a customized navigation bar and status bar so it takes time.

I learn that the file is: localstore.rdf.

I now back it up manually by copying and pasting after FEBE selective backup and doing the same in restore.

Can you put a selection for the selective backup/restore for toolbar / status bar customizations? (localstore.rdf)
fersye

Re: Selective Backup - Custom Toolbar Icon Structure etc.

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:43 am

The file 'localstore.rdf' is very profile specific. It contains information about extension icon placement in the current profile. If you were to copy this file into a different profile that did not have the very same extensions installed, the results would be indeterminate. If it worked at all, it would still contain unneeded bloat. This is the reason that the file is not included in a selective backup. It is, however, contained in the full profile backup as it is specific to that particular profile.

As long as you are willing to accept the risks, you can copy/paste the file into other profiles. You could even have FEBE back it up as a user-defined backup (FEBE Options > What to backup > User-defined backups). This file should be restored manually as the FEBE user-defined backup restore will only restore the file to the same location from which it was originally backed up.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Selective Backup - Custom Toolbar Icon Structure etc.

Postby fersye » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks Cbaker. Have a nice Sunday.
fersye

Return to Wishlist