Auto Restore

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Auto Restore

Postby Mrktmind » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Due to lack of privacy on the internet I run my browser in a VMWare virtual machine. The machine is set to restore from the disk image every time I shut it off. This effectively kills ANY bad stuff I picked up during my browsing session.

Unfortunately it kills ALL stuff - not just the bad stuff. The only problem I've run into with this is bookmarks and to a lessor degree extensions. So I need a way to sync bookmarks. Using a cloud service would negate the whole reason of doing this (might as well just email them to the NSA) so I want to sync them to a local drive (flashdrive). It looks like your extension is the best (also the only?) solution for this and while it will at least do the backup automagically when I shut down it would be really handy if it would also automagically restore my book marks when I start up!

Any chance of an auto restore?
Mrktmind

Re: Auto Restore

Postby cbaker_admin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Interesting idea, but I wonder if the average user would have enough need to warrant the extra bloat.

You could do want you are seeking to do by using a batch file, though. Something like this (assuming Windows OS, but something similar could be written for *nix):

Code: Select all
:: Copy Fx data into profle
xcopy "Path\to\location\of\your\saved\profile\data\places.sqlite"  "C:\Users\CBaker\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{yourFxProfileDir}" /y /c

:: Start Firefox
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" "-p" "{yourProfileName}"

:: Copy Fx profile data into save location
xcopy "C:\Users\CBaker\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\{yourFxProfileDir}\places.sqlite" "Path\to\location\of\your\saved\profile\data" /y
exit

I haven't actually tested the above code, but it gives the general idea. The batch file first copies your places.sqlite file (which contains bookmarks, history, usernames/passwords, etc.) from some save location into your Fx profile directory. Next it starts Fx. When Fx is closed, it copies the file to your save location ready for the next Fx startup.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Auto Restore

Postby Mrktmind » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks Chuck for the quick and detailed reply. Your time is much appreciated.

The solution I had before was to create a new profile and then store the whole profile on my flash drive. This worked but it stored everything (cookies, etc.) which kind of killed the reason for doing it. It sounds as though your batch file idea might be the perfect solution for me - thanks much!

Now to see if I am smart enough to get it to work........ :-)
Mrktmind

Return to Wishlist