Option to backup tabs and tab's group

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Option to backup tabs and tab's group

Postby pfeno » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:32 am

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to add a option to backup/restore open tabs and tab's group when a backup was done?
Actually i use FEBE 8.3.1 on Firefox 35.0.1.

Thanks,
Pascal
pfeno

Re: Option to backup tabs and tab's group

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:03 pm

That sounds like a reasonable request but unfortunately it is not really feasible.

Fx stores the current session in a file named sessionstore.js in your [profile] folder. The problem is that the file only exists when Fx is closed. It is read immediately when Fx is opened, processed and promptly deleted, then created anew when Fx closes. Since it is not there during a browsing session, FEBE cannot back it up.

In theory, you could create a FEBE user-defined backup that backs up the [profile]/sessionstore-backups directory. But to get it to actually work you would have to first restore it, then close Fx, delete the sessionstore.js file and re-open Fx. It will complain that it cannot find the file and ask you if you want to use one of the backups. A pretty convoluted solution I think.

You can read more about how Fx handles session in this article.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Option to backup tabs and tab's group

Postby Alloneword » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:53 pm

That's a shame i came here just to see if i was missing some setting or another, oh well, guess i will have to back up more often.

All1
Alloneword

Return to Wishlist