Firefox useless 'Continue' button eliminator!

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Firefox useless 'Continue' button eliminator!

Postby MikeyMike » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:43 am

Here's one for a clever coder ...

When FF starts and detects updates, it does a 'good thing (TM)' and tells you, then *asks* if you want to update now ... it's nice to have an option.

So - you've said to yourself "I want these extensions/themes, and I want to use them now", so you click on the appropriate button. Then FF proceeds to download them. Great. So far, so good.

Then, logic leaves the scenario (presumably for a nice lie down), and FF stops, and waits for you to click the 'Continue' button.

WHY?

I started my browser so I could do some productive research and/or time wasting. I've given FF the nod to update, so WHY WAIT FOR ME TO GIVE IT THE GO AHEAD? JUST GET ON WITH IT!

Seriously, if someone could write an extension that would get FF to just continue to load after updating, the world would be a better place.

That felt good.

MikeyMike
MikeyMike

Postby tgrantt » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:41 pm

Update Notifier does this, kind of. I have it set to NOT check for updates on startup, but check once every 24 hours. It will then install them automatically (if you want) and then prompt for restart (if you want) I have the button in the statusbar. When it turns red, I wait till my next trip to get coffee (or whatever) hit for restart, and voila. Hope this helps.
tgrantt

Re: Firefox useless 'Continue' button eliminator!

Postby Yizdude » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:37 pm

MikeyMike wrote:Here's one for a clever coder ...

When FF starts and detects updates, it does a 'good thing (TM)' and tells you, then *asks* if you want to update now ... it's nice to have an option.

So - you've said to yourself "I want these extensions/themes, and I want to use them now", so you click on the appropriate button. Then FF proceeds to download them. Great. So far, so good.

Then, logic leaves the scenario (presumably for a nice lie down), and FF stops, and waits for you to click the 'Continue' button.

WHY?

I started my browser so I could do some productive research and/or time wasting. I've given FF the nod to update, so WHY WAIT FOR ME TO GIVE IT THE GO AHEAD? JUST GET ON WITH IT!

Seriously, if someone could write an extension that would get FF to just continue to load after updating, the world would be a better place.

That felt good.

MikeyMike

nicely worded. :D
Yizdude

partially agree

Postby fruityth1ng » Wed May 02, 2007 3:03 pm

I think the "continue" button is there for the user to review the installation statusses of the updated plugins.

So indeed it would make sense only to have the continue button pop up when an error occurred.

cheers,
F.
fruityth1ng

Return to Wishlist