Backup a profile into another profile

Have an idea for an extension? Post and discuss it here.

Backup a profile into another profile

Postby aRIELg » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:10 am

Hi

I really would like to see in FEBE the option to backup a profile (uncompressed) into another profile. By doing so FEBE will be creating a clone of the current profile that is ready to be used by Fx without the need to perform any restore operation. Especially if this clone is scheduled daily.

One of the main advantages of a clone profile is the ability to run Fx with multiple profiles (the command line argument no-remote) when the profiles are identical and simultaneously be connected to more then one session account like Gmail.
aRIELg

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:57 am

While your request falls out of the scope of FEBE, I do like the idea. Perhaps as a new extension: "Clone Profile".

Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby aRIELg » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:12 am

cbaker_admin wrote:While your request falls out of the scope of FEBE, I do like the idea. Perhaps as a new extension: "Clone Profile".

Chuck

And I'll be the first one to use it. :)
aRIELg

Weekly Restore

Postby weisguy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:07 am

Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show!

I was about to 'wish' this same thing but phrased slightly differently:

I have two logins to my home machine; One I use for the console and one I use to RDP in from the office (Windows). As I make changes to my console profile, I would like them to show up in the remote profile in a master-slave fashion. The way it occurred to me to do this would be to have a 'scheduled restore' option... I could time my remote profile to restore a day after the console profile backup'd.

I tried using the same profile for both instances of the ffx executable; lead to locking and some ugly side-effects. Guess that wasn't such a good idea in hindsight. ; )

As a temporary (or perhaps permanent) solution: I think I might see if I can come up with a windows scheduled task that will run daily and copy the contents of my console profile into the remote login's profile.
weisguy

Return to Wishlist