Firefox 56.0.2 on FreeBSD-CURRENT crashing at FEBE Options

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Firefox 56.0.2 on FreeBSD-CURRENT crashing at FEBE Options

Postby grahamperrin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:54 am

Spun off from viewtopic.php?p=17279#p17279 under Waterfox crashing

I experimented with FEBE alone added to a new profile with Firefox 56.0.2. Crashing occurs after simply opening the FEBE Options window, before any preference can be set.

Screen recording: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZxftwLD71hLSt9Mu2

From https://pastebin.com/Rmz3fN71:

Code: Select all
[grahamperrin@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd] ~% firefox -p FEBE
mozilla::detail::MutexImpl::lock: pthread_mutex_lock failed: Resource deadlock avoided
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
[grahamperrin@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd] ~%

----

I'll experiment with Firefox ESR in a different machine, based on a more recent -CURRENT, with a different desktop environment …
grahamperrin

Waterfox 56.0.s20171130 on FreeBSD-CURRENT crashing …

Postby grahamperrin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:28 am

Tested with TrueOS Desktop as a VirtualBox guest machine, using the default Lumina desktop environment. UNSTABLE repo preferred.

Not reproducible with Firefox ESR 52.5.0_1,1; no crash.

Reproducible with Waterfox 56.0.s20171130, with a new profile; moments after first presentation of the FEBE Options window, Waterfox crashes.
grahamperrin

Re: Firefox 56.0.2 on FreeBSD-CURRENT crashing at FEBE Optio

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:02 pm

It's important to note that FEBE is not e10s compliant as it does not run correctly in a multi-process environment. The browser(s) should already know this and set the browser.tabs.remote.autostart preference (in about:config) to false.

Make sure this preference is set properly before attempting to open FEBE options.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby grahamperrin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks,

cbaker_admin wrote:… Make sure this preference is set …

it was disabled by add-ons. A frame from the screen recording:

multiprocess windows disabled by add-ons.png

Crashing (from the same recording):

crashing.png
grahamperrin

Postby grahamperrin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Is output from truss(1) of any use?

Context:

2017-12-26 20.06.35.png

Partial output: https://pastebin.com/KtLvjqTn
grahamperrin

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm wondering how productive it is to try to debug on an unstable OS. From the FreeBSD site:

FreeBSD-CURRENT is the “bleeding edge” of FreeBSD development and FreeBSD-CURRENT users are expected to have a high degree of technical skill. Less technical users who wish to track a development branch should track FreeBSD-STABLE instead.

FreeBSD-CURRENT is the very latest source code for FreeBSD and includes works in progress, experimental changes, and transitional mechanisms that might or might not be present in the next official release. While many FreeBSD developers compile the FreeBSD-CURRENT source code daily, there are short periods of time when the source may not be buildable. These problems are resolved as quickly as possible, but whether or not FreeBSD-CURRENT brings disaster or new functionality can be a matter of when the source code was synced.

To your knowledge, does FEBE work correctly on stable FreeBSD releases?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby grahamperrin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm inclined to treat -CURRENT as stable enough in contexts such as this. Still, a couple of hours ago in ircs://chat.freenode.net/#freebsd I asked:

To anyone who uses Waterfox 56.x or Firefox 56.x on FreeBSD 10.3, 10.4 or 11.1: please, can you tell whether the application crashes with the options window of FEBE? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5155

There's also the comparable hang with FEBE on stable Mac OS X. Not a crash, but it requires a force quit.

Postscript: debugging … I can't say (sorry), I'm not a developer.
grahamperrin

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:56 pm

I've installed TrueOS Stable (Current Release: 17.12) on a VMware virtual machine, but can't seem to figure out how to install Fx v56. I can get Quantum to install using:

# pkg install firefox

I could research it more, but I thought you might know it off the top of your head.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Firefox 56.x not packaged: side notes

Postby grahamperrin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:16 am

Just FYI

At the foot of output from:

pkg -vvv

– you'll find the URL of your preferred repo and if you browse there, you'll find only one packaged version of firefox; of firefox-esr; of waterfox; and so on. If firefox there is already at Quantum, you'll not find 56.x packaged unless you get lucky with a different repo – however mixing repos is rarely recommended (and for what we're doing here, overkill).

Here, I locked things down weeks ago, whilst firefox was still at 56.x in a preferred repo;

root@momh167-gjp4-hpelitebook8570p-freebsd:~ # pkg lock --show-locked
Currently locked packages:
firefox-56.0.2_9,1
firefox-i18n-56.0.2
virtualbox-ose-5.2.2
virtualbox-ose-kmod-5.2.2

Also (for anyone who's new to these operating systems): the STABLE distribution of TrueOS is based on FreeBSD-CURRENT, which (as outlined in the quote above) is distinct from FreeBSD-STABLE.

Re: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO88 ... using.html and Port flavors - What problem does that fix? | The FreeBSD Forums I wonder whether flavors might be used to gain outdated 56.0.2_10,1 but again, I reckon it's overkill.

----

More practically

I'll be back later with, hopefully, a pointer to a distro that has both (a) a GUI out of the box; and (b) outdated Firefox 56.x …
grahamperrin

Postby grahamperrin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:33 am

As promised:

GhostBSD11.1-mate-amd64.iso from http://www.ghostbsd.org/download can run a live session in VirtualBox, and includes Firefox 56.0.2. Whilst a live session is good enough to reproduce the crashing, I have no idea whether it'll be good enough to debug.

(Beyond a live session: I had less success with an installation of GhostBSD in VirtualBox – no GUI, networking not working, and so on.)
grahamperrin

Return to FEBE/CLEO