FEBE 6 Themes compatibility

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

FEBE 6 Themes compatibility

Postby cbaker_admin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:08 am

Apparently, some themes for Fx 3 do not handle the window.openDialog() method properly. Some functions in FEBE 6 that use this function are "Verify extension directory", "Box.net upload", and "User-defined backups". When these functions are initiated, a window opens very briefly and immediately minimizes to the taskbar. Once there, the window cannot be opened or closed. Sometimes the window appears with only the scrollbars visible.

Here is a partial list of themes tested with FEBE 6:

Works:
  • Aeon 2.9
  • Aero Fox 3.0.1
  • Default Fx 3 theme 3.0
  • Metal Lion - Andromeda 1.6.5
  • Qute 3.3.5
  • Red Cats (green flavor) 4.2.2.5
  • Scribblies Brite 2.9
  • Whitehart 3.1
Does not work:
  • LittleFox 1.8.33
  • Nautipolis for Firefox 1.8.33
  • Vista-aero 2.0.0.19
  • Walnut for Firefox 1.8.33

If you have tested other themes, please let me know in this thread and I will update the list.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

another theme that's ok

Postby gbarill » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:55 am

I install with success the : W3V8_for_firefox-1.8.33.fx.jar, (for team IBM)

and Febe 6.0b; all functions of FEBE is OK.

But a little problem persist:

The report of Febe result is not in a TAB, so i cannot save or print IT!!

Best Regards.
gbarill

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:16 am

That should have been fixed three releases ago. Do you have the latest?
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

PDF Download Extension Possibly Uses Same Function

Postby eriji » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:35 am

Using the 0708 build and I have the LittleFox Theme:
I normally have Firefox open 24/7 and often do not close/restart it for days or weeks at a time unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

I discovered today that the PDF Download 1.0.1.2 may use the same window create function you reference in the themes problem.

Each night the FEBE backup runs and I have it set now to upload to box.net. So, the next morning, I have a status bar button that says "Box.net upload".
Ok, no biggie, I just ignore it and it doesn't go away, but it doesn't blink or make noises or anything to bother me and it's fine until I restart, and FEBE seems to be able to function ok and backup with it left open.

Today, for the first time in a while, I accessed a .pdf link which invoked the PDF download extension, and it's message box to download view etc etc.
Except that the message box never appeared, and Firefox did a HARD lockup. It was running, it was using resources, Windoze thought it was running,
but it was completely non-responsive to any user input in any session, window or tab. It would repaint, however. The FEBE box.net upload button would toggle back and forth with the main window button as usual, but as original Adventure game used to say quite anti-climatically "nothing happens."

Since this is the first time I have used PDF Download since probably a month (I have been usually using other methods which bypass it) and this is the first time this combination has occurred, and since when I end-tasked Firefox and started it again and recovered the session, I clicked on the link and PDF Download worked fine (but there was no FEBE box.net upload button.) I'll try it again tomorrow and see if I get the same results.

SO this poses the obvious conclusion that PDF download uses the same functionality, and got hung up because the FEBE box.net upload "dialog" box was open, and a further conclusion, that since I have been using LittleFox Theme and PDF download for over a year and a half with never a problem, that maybe PDF Download has figured a way around the problem of closing the window after use.

Maybe contact them and see how they handle it?
Just a suggestion.
eriji

Postby cbaker_admin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:03 pm

The box.net upload window stays open until you close it manually. Was there an alert open displaying the results of the upload?

If the PDF download extension uses window.openDialog() it is bound to have problems with the LittleFox theme.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:04 pm

My Box.net window stays open period. Once it does the upload it is open, and the only way to close it is to end-task and that closes Firefox. :cry:

If I let Firefox stay open over night (I have backups for some odd hour of the morning):

1. a "Box.net upload results" window opens and is on the taskbar and cannot be accessed or closed.
2. a "Box.net upload complete" message is open and I can click to close it.
3. a FEBE Results tab appears showing the time date and list of extensions on a yellow background saying items processed, etc. It doesn't say the word "complete" anywhere tho.

I can ignore the results window and go about my business until:
1) pdf download wants to give me a message on how I want to download, and the message never displays and Firefox gets stuck. Only way is to end-task
2) The session manager (TMP) wants to tell me I'm closing tabs when I close Firefox: that message never displays and Firefox is totally locked up. end-task time.

Today there was a first-time-once-only anomaly in that a while (maybe a minute) after I clicked ok to the FEBE box.net upload complete message, a complete window outline with lines and arrows, but no scroll bar appeared in the middle of the screen. It didn't seem to affect anything, so I worked in and around it for a while, then I got to a page with a dark background, and inside this outline window was text barely visible that said FEBE stuff and stuff about upload. It was hard to read so faint. I think it listed extensions.

Another interesting note is that when I start Firefox now, FEBE says the last backup was on July 09 and I'm late making a deposit to the backup fund. But at least four times since that date, Firefox has run overnight, and there has been an upload complete message in the morning, and box.net says the files are up to date.

I'm just checking now for a later version than the one I referenced above, so if there is a later FEBE beta I will install it after I post this message.
eriji

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:23 pm

Ok, I upgraded to the 0713 extension. I then restarted Firefox as suggested by the high god Mozilla.

After all was settled down, I went Tools, FEBE, Perform Backup. . .

The message saying "this message will self destruct when the backup is complete. . ." came up. A while later the sound came and that message went away, and the TITLE of the window in the taskbar changed (I watched it) to "Box.net upload window"

Somewhere about this time, the FEBE Results tab opened and gave me the results list.

At the same time, the "outline window" appeared again, this time with no arrows, and no internal text.

Sometime later, a sound and a message popped up (with no additional taskbar button) and said:
FEBE message ... ! FEBE message ... Upload complete: 52 files [copytoclipboard] [close]

I click close, that message box goes away, the outline window stays and the button on the startmenu bar that says "Box.net upload window" stays.

I type this post. After I post this, I'm going to try and close Firefox normally and then start it again.
eriji

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:35 pm

It is definitely your Littlefox theme. I contacted the author and he verified it. He sent me an update to test. You can try it yourself from here.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Ok, so I clicked on the X in the upper right to close Firefox. Everything went dead. I could no longer do anything in Firefox at all.

I could click on the two buttons in the taskbar and toggle them back and forth

I could NOT right click on them and get a context menu.

At some point, I clicked on the "Box.net upload window" button, and the arrows and blank scroll bar (no slider) appeared in the "outline window". At that time also, I could see faint text. I couldn't read much of anything since it was up on the forum window which is not dark, but light white and grey, but I could read: "Folder already exists. FEBE Backups ok

and further on down "tero (1.0.1).xps uploaded ok.

I then did an end-task on Firefox, and it blinked away. Now at some other time (not this time) I had seen a vague flash of the "Session Manager ok to close 634 open tabs" message, but I am not sure, it was the right size and shape, and I think it said session manager, but I'm not sure. This happened momentarily as the end-task cleared the Firefox window at that time.

Ok, I restart Firefox to post this, and of course I get the session manager crashed message.
I also get a message:
FEBE message... ! FEBE message ... Backup reminder! Last backup was performed over 10 day(s) ago on Wednesday, July 09, 2008 22:54:13. [copytoclipboard] [close]
{clipboard contents: Backup reminder!~Last backup was performed over 10 day(s) ago on:
Wednesday, July 09, 2008 22:54:13 ~} (~ are a funny box character in the clipboard data)

I think from the above notes, and the fact that there is a backup folder created and that box.net has uploaded and updated files, that the backup was done just a few minutes ago.
Am I wrong?
eriji

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:49 pm

I've been using the LittleFox theme for over two years now (I checked back at the original download date)

And no, I have never had a problem with the pdf download extension.
I have never had a problem getting the session manager message before.
I've never had any similar message window or display problems.
And I have never ever had any complete and total lockups of Firefox at any time using any extension.
Occasionally during the 3.0 beta cycle, Firefox would die a slow death, but never totally become non-responsive with no error message.

It is obvious that the open box.net upload window is causing the hang in the other functions of Firefox.
If I don't use FEBE or haven't had a backup run overnight, then I don't have any problems at all (except with bloat and CPU consumption.)
eriji

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:52 pm

I am checking out the LittleFox update right now.
eriji

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:09 pm

Even though it's a .jar file like other theme files, its coming up invalid or corrupted file, trying to open with Firefox or with Java.
I tried installing from the link, downloading then installing and neither worked.
I am still looking to see if I can replace the existing file in the program directory, but haven't found where it is yet.
eriji

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:15 pm

You can also verify it is a theme related issue by enabling the Fx3 default theme.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby eriji » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:40 pm

Ok you are right, that worked. Boy those are some big glowing icons the rest of you see. Took up half my screen.

The *only* unexpected thing was that the box.net upload status (list of files and status and bytes, etc. which I saw for the first time today) window stayed open after I answered close to the upload complete message.

I was able to click X (very gingerly) on the window and it closed. completely.

I tested the other functions and they work, including closing Firefox gracefully.

I didn't even get an overdue message from FEBE when I opened Firefox the subsequent time.

My apologies for all the eyestrain and contemplation.
eriji

Re: FEBE 6 Themes compatibility

Postby darenhoff » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:33 pm

cbaker_admin wrote:Apparently, some themes for Fx 3 do not handle the window.openDialog() method properly. Some functions in FEBE 6 that use this function are "Verify extension directory", "Box.net upload", and "User-defined backups". When these functions are initiated, a window opens very briefly and immediately minimizes to the taskbar. Once there, the window cannot be opened or closed. Sometimes the window appears with only the scrollbars visible.

Here is a partial list of themes tested with FEBE 6:

Works:
  • Aeon 2.9
  • Aero Fox 3.0.1
  • Default Fx 3 theme 3.0
  • Metal Lion - Andromeda 1.6.5
  • Qute 3.3.5
  • Red Cats (green flavor) 4.2.2.5
  • Scribblies Brite 2.9
  • Whitehart 3.1
Does not work:
  • LittleFox 1.8.33
  • Nautipolis for Firefox 1.8.33
  • Vista-aero 2.0.0.19
  • Walnut for Firefox 1.8.33

If you have tested other themes, please let me know in this thread and I will update the list.

It is not working properly with outlook blue v3.0.0. Some windows/options, like the drop down of time while scheduling is not showing the characters. So I went back to default theme.
darenhoff

Next

Return to FEBE/CLEO