Extensions that do not work with FEBE

"Firefox Environment Backup Extension" and "Compact Library Extension Organizer" discussion and bug reporting.

Extensions that do not work with FEBE

Postby cbaker_admin » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 am

The following extensions have been found to break or cripple FEBE:

If any of the above items appear in the Ignore list (Tools > FEBE options > What to backup > Ignore list) make sure they are selected (checked).

This list will be updated as other problematic extensions/themes are discovered.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Re: Extensions that do not work with FEBE

Postby bb_pattaya » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:15 pm

I find that Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.2.3 appears to cause the dreaded "Extension data is still loading ... try again in a few seconds" error.
Almost every time it's enabled I get the error. Every time when it's disabled, FEBE works fine with no other changes.

Note: This only happens when the Backup userChrome files option is selected in the What to Backup->Backup type tab.
bb_pattaya

Postby Thalia » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 am

I can confirm the above.

After several trials, I found that FEBE works fine without Element Hider, but plays possum when Element Hider is installed. I do not believe the problem lies with FEBE, because quite a few of my other add-ons don't seem to get along with Element Hider as well. Out it goes! :arrow:

P.S. FEBE + Dropbox = So much win, it should be illegal. 8)
Thalia

Postby kapla » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:31 pm

AdBlock Plus 2.2.3 with Firefox 20
kapla

Postby horst39 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:08 am

when Selective Backup is chosen, Noia 4 Theme Manager will completely lock FEBE even if checked in the Ignore List.
FEBE runs without problem when Full Profile is selected.
Using FEBE 7.3.0.1 on FF23.0.1
horst39

Postby m110a2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Another one for the list:
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
http://www.wondershare.com/pro/video-co ... imate.html

I think, It's the same case as Roboform Toolbar.

Saludos
M110A2
m110a2

Postby lakrsrool » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 am

I'm presuming AvastOnlineSecurity add-on is another extension that FEBE cannot successfully backup due to the following.

Note: The avast! Online Security extension for Firefox is not loaded into the profile directory of the browser. But then there are other locations where extensions may be placed in to be loaded automatically by the browser.

It is also not located in the main Firefox installation folder on your drive.

The !avast Online Security add-on happens to be in the main Avast Software folder under C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WebRep\FF\

I notice if I continue to do a FEBE backup by clicking "Click OK to skip and continue with backup" then an error "This add-on could not be installed because it appears to be corrupted" message if I click on the link in the "View last backup directory" for this add-on.

And eventually the "View last backup directory" option of FEBE will fail to bring up the webpage with a "file not found" for the entire list, which I'm presuming is caused by continuing with the "backup" without

Could this be because the extension location is not loaded in the "profile directory" of the browser and also not located in the"main Firefox installation" folder either but instead located in the following location: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\WebRep\FF\, hence we get the "appears to be corrupted" message?

Is there a way to direct FEBE to the correct location where this extension resides?

In the meantime I suppose it is best to "ignore list" to avoid the issues it presumably causes with some other functions of FEBE.
lakrsrool

Postby lakrsrool » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 am

bb_pattaya wrote:I find that Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.2.3 appears to cause the dreaded "Extension data is still loading ... try again in a few seconds" error.
Almost every time it's enabled I get the error. Every time when it's disabled, FEBE works fine with no other changes.

Note: This only happens when the Backup userChrome files option is selected in the What to Backup->Backup type tab.

Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus 1.3 used in FF33 seems to work fine for me with FEBE backup.
lakrsrool

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Most (if not all) anti-virus "extensions" for Fx cannot be backed up with FEBE. It is usually because these "extensions" are not truly extensions, but plugins masquerading as such. True Fx extensions are created using a very specific structure. FEBE knows this structure and uses it to reconstruct (or re-build) the extension into an installable form (the .xpi file). "Plugins" are different from extensions inasmuch as they have no formal, recognizable structure and can be located anywhere on your computer. "Extensions" usually reside in one of two places. The most common is the Fx profile directory and the other is the Fx installation directory (where they are considered "global" extensions that are used in every Fx profile - not just the currently running profile). An extension can be installed using a third method. These are called "proxy" extensions where, instead of locating the code in one of the two previously mentioned places, a text file is created that contains the path of the extension's executable code. Global and proxy extensions are not backed up with FEBE.

AvastOnlineSecurity is most likely a plugin that identifies itself to Fx as an extension. It is best you keep it on the FEBE ignore list.
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby cbaker_admin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Some development tools set Firefox preferences to help debug. Changing these preferences may cause FEBE to quit functioning correctly. If you are having issues with FEBE not remembering option settings, go to about:config and set the following preferences (if they exist) to their default value (right-click on the preference name and click "Reset").

1. "javascript.options.showInConsole",
  2. "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_cache",
  3. "browser.dom.window.dump.enabled",
  4. "javascript.options.strict",
  5. "devtools.chrome.enabled",
  6. "extensions.logging.enabled",
  7. "nglayout.debug.disable_xul_fastload",
  8. "dom.report_all_js_exceptions",
  9. "javascript.options.showInConsole",
  10. "devtools.errorconsole.deprecation_warnings"
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Postby ray5450 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:23 pm

This theme does not show up on the list (Get List):

memorial_day_interactive_theme_and_extension-2.1.3-fx
ray5450

Postby cbaker_admin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:09 pm

The "Memorial Day - Interactive Theme and Extension" doesn't appear to be either a regular Fx theme or extension. It's considered a lightweight theme (or 'Persona') and those types of themes will not appear in the Quick Backup get list. It does, however, get backed up with other themes and personas during a regular back up.
Chuck
cbaker_admin
Site Admin

Return to FEBE/CLEO